Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Restless legs. Please help!!!

(12 Posts)
purplesocial Thu 16-Jul-15 15:51:50

I dm6 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child and I am really worried about developing restless legs. I have it generally whether I'm pregnant or not, but in my last pregnancy it got so bad at night that I just didn't sleep at all. I can't possibly have this again when I'm up in the night with my toddler anyway. Does anyone know of any remedies or cures????
TIA
Kate

ovumahead Thu 16-Jul-15 18:47:47

Buy some magnesium oil spray (better you brand) sold on Amazon or health food shops. Get the original one, not the night time one which has additional herbs not good for pregnancy. Put it on about 30 mins before you need to go to sleep. Yoga is also very helpful!

Skiptonlass Thu 16-Jul-15 19:01:06

Tonic water. Schwepps (not all brands have quinine in.)
Banana before bed. Handful of nuts every day.

purplesocial Mon 20-Jul-15 16:57:26

Thank u so much. I have bought some magnesium oil spray and stocked up on tonic! smile

Loraline Mon 20-Jul-15 17:01:22

When you go to bed lie with your legs up the wall for a bit. Stops me getting it in the night.

Cornberry Mon 20-Jul-15 21:56:09

I have this all the time too and there are a couple of things that seem to help. Before I was pregnant taking iron supplements made it almost stop completely. Also don't get dehydrated. Drink plenty of water and when it gets really bad I go for a walk around the block and that seems to get rid of it for a while. Long enough to go to sleep! Good luck. It's bloody horrible.

WoahBodyforrrrm Mon 20-Jul-15 21:58:37

I used to spray mine down with that evian type water in an aerosol when they got restless. I only got it in my first pregnancy though, so hope you escape it this time too!

Allstoppedup Mon 20-Jul-15 22:03:32

I get it really bad and it gets much worse when I'm anaemic which happens every pregnancy! I'd get your iron levels checked and take some spatone supplements.

I also got some Evian water most/spray and for some reason this seems to help when sprayed on my legs! I find getting up and going for a walk/up and down the stairs a few times helps too.

I've heard potassium helps- so a banana before bed but bananas make me feel sick so I've not tried it!

Hope you don't suffer with it this time, it really is so frustrating and pregnant with children already you really can do with all the sleep you can get! grin

Allstoppedup Mon 20-Jul-15 22:04:44

Haha x-post with woah on the Evian thing! I thought that was just me being weird/desperate! grin

Alwayswiththechords Mon 20-Jul-15 22:08:18

I would second those who said to use some spray. For me personally, I found a moisturiser helpful.

I also found that caressing a really sensitive area of my legs took away some of the restlessness.

And going to the toilet just before trying to fall asleep, even if you don't need to go.

Good luck OP, restless legs are truly hellish esp when pregnant

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Mon 20-Jul-15 22:11:40

Oh I remember how awful this was! Elevating legs was the best thing for me - raising them against the wall for a while before going to sleep, and having a pillow under my knees. It's horrible though, flowers for you.

ChicaMomma Tue 21-Jul-15 16:28:10

I take a magnesium tablet just before bed every night- works a treat. RLS is an awful thing!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now