Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The risk of post partum haemorrhaging in 5th pregnancy??

(5 Posts)
stateoftheart Thu 16-Jul-15 12:13:14

I appreciate no one can give me medical advice, I was just wondering whether anyone who had more than 4 births can tell me whether they were told the risk was high.

I was hoping to birth in the MLU but consultant recommended hospital with cannula put on during labour just in case!

I don't feel like I can make an informed decision unless I know the extent of the risk.

bakingtins Thu 16-Jul-15 12:27:28

www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/guidelines/parity-and-postpartum-haemorrhage---query-bank/
www.midwifery.org.uk/?page_id=731
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9271837

All say effect of grand-parity is small or not significant. The other thing is, how quickly do you labour? I was supposed to have a cannula and consultant led because of previous PPH, no doctor got to me quick enough to get a cannula put in before I delivered. I had a v similar experience to previous births on MLU - bed pushed to one side of the room, mats put out, delivered in my preferred position, just one midwife in attendance - it wasn't a bad experience at all.

MazyCrummy Thu 16-Jul-15 12:35:18

I'm pregnant with baby #5 now and am receiving mw led care - the consultant didn't even want to see me - so it can't be an automatic increased risk just because of being multi paritous.

stateoftheart Thu 16-Jul-15 13:49:24

Thank you for that research. I would much prefare MLU and the chances of interventions are higher in consultant led.

Levismum Thu 16-Jul-15 21:22:01

I gave birth to dc 4, 5 & 6 in 3 different birth centres.

It was only with dc6 they mentioned pph. I agreed to a cannula when I was admitted to the centre.

All was fine. No pph. Happy & healthy dd.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now