Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to tell over protective dad I'm pregnant?

(11 Posts)
tinyme135 Tue 14-Jul-15 13:09:05

I'm a daddies little girl (eventhough I'm 21) I still live with mum and dad cause me and OH can't afford to move out and there's no houses big enough for me him and the little one. Anyway um worried about telling him and scared incase he'll go mad. People keep saying your his daughter he won't be mad, but my dad is so proud of me it's just something I don't want him hating me for.

mayaknew Tue 14-Jul-15 13:12:30

I was a daddies girl and my dad was very very strict . I got pregnant at 18 about to go to uni . My dad was brilliant . He was obviously very upset and disappointed but I thought he was going to hit the roof and go mental . But actually he started treating me like an adult after that although he still reverts back to trying to tell me what to do even though I'm now nearly 30!

Sorry I have no advice other than whatever you are imagining will happen it won't be nearly as bad . Good luck smile

tinyme135 Tue 14-Jul-15 13:21:43

I think my family is expecting it but it's still in my head he'll be mad. I'll get my OH to be there with me and blame it all on him if he does go mad haha

primarynoodle Tue 14-Jul-15 13:27:18

im 22 and told my dad recently expecting him to be hugely disappointed in me (worst poss response) and in fact he went from 2-3 hours of shellshocked to quietly (but obviously) excited and happy!

at the end of the day theres nothing they can do! And itll very quickly go from "my baby daughter is pregnant shock " to "im going to be a granddad grin " which are 2 entirely different thought processes!

mrstothemr Tue 14-Jul-15 14:21:15

Agree with pp that his reaction is bound to be far better than you imagine

I would bear one thing in mind though, he's probably spent time since you were born imagining how it would happen, your circumstances etc, and so a few dazed hours are likely. Just processing time.

I was married and living together when we announced and my dad still took some warm in time!

tinyme135 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:35:50

I think he'll be more worried cause I ain't got my own place, but then it's easier for him to look after me then :P

Two years ago I had a problem with my ex, sexually blackmailing me, trying to hurt my OH and my dad told me then not to be scared of him and go and talk to him. It's so hard to not to be he's like the hulk when he's angry haha

lauraa4 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:43:31

I was extremely worried to tell my dad for no reason at all other than the fact I'm very close to him and I was worried he would be disappointed in me. It was completely stupid of me to think like that!
When I did eventually tell him he actually had the best reaction out of everyone we told smile

tinyme135 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:51:25

My plan is to tell him in the kitchen so if he does go mad I can run to the front door and keep running lol

lauraa4 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:57:52

I told my dad in his kitchen when we were half way through eating a Chinese grin

Letmegetanamechange Tue 14-Jul-15 15:01:53

I had that fear OP. I was 22 and pregnant. Had been with DP for 7 months at that point and was still living at home whilst working part time trying to find out what I wanted to do with my life.

When I told my dad I broke down in tears. Luckily his partner was there to give me a big hug whilst my dad was completely silent and shell shocked.

Throughout most of my pregnancy my dad didn't often talk about the baby. He asked what I wanted to do and when I said we were keeping DD he said ok. That was it really. He wasn't the most excited and never really asked me much how I was, which if I'm honest DID hurt.

DD is now nearly 2 and the apple of his eye. The first moment he met her was so special to me because he welled up when he held her.

It's a terrifying thing to go through but have faith it will turn out ok! And congratulations smile

tinyme135 Tue 14-Jul-15 15:04:51

My dad sounds like yours let he doesn't show emotion. When I broke down in tears about my ex my mum had to force him to hug me cause he doesn't do feelings haha. Tmi but my mum did say he cried when I had my first period and got worried when I was having problems with them so hopefully knowing I can/am pregnant naturally might lighten it haha.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now