Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First time PREGNANCY.. Please help..

(25 Posts)
sjd114 Sun 12-Jul-15 15:45:34

Hiya!
Very new to this, so really sorry if I've posted in the wrong place!?
I'm just wondering as I found out (4 tests later) I'm pregnant!! It's my first! Very happy!! What to expect at the first doctors appointment!? Very anxious. And just want sort of a heads up.. I'm really scared that he'll turn round and say the tests were all fake & I'm not pregnant!? Will they test me again? What will they ask?! Sorry for all the questions.
-Sam x

GlitzAndGigglesx Sun 12-Jul-15 15:50:14

Congratulations! Your urine will be checked to rule out any infection and you'll be asked the start date of your last period to find your due date. The first appointment is always longest because they ask about family medical history and both backgrounds and shortly after you should receive your first scan date

Dukketeater Sun 12-Jul-15 15:51:57

At mine the doctor just took my details to book me an appt with the midwife.

Appleblossom82 Sun 12-Jul-15 15:54:11

I never had a doctors appointment. I called the surgery when i found out and they referred me to the midwives who i saw for booking in at 8 weeks. You dont need to see a dr and if you do i imagine it would just be a formality as the midwife will do the urine, blood pressure etc.

Noone tests you to check you are pregnant. They just kind of take your word for it on that one!

ARV1981 Sun 12-Jul-15 16:01:16

My Dr just took it as a given and I'd only done one test. He said home tests are so good these days they don't do another one, just accept that you are pregnant.

I booked a drs appointment to tell them, which I now realise was unnecessary (my first too), Dr just told me to take folic acid and book an appointment to see the midwife at around 8 weeks. I think we also worked out an approximate due date (it was about three days out I think) from my last period. There are calculators online which can help you work this out so don't really need to see a Dr for it!

The midwife appointment (I think they call it the booking in appointment) was less exciting than we expected it to be. My dh came with me, which again I realise now was unnecessary... she just asked family history to get a picture of risk factors (diabetes, Heart conditions etc) and talked to us about the various tests we could have (downs, genetic disorders like sickle cell etc) and asked for consent (which we gave).

We took away a booklet with all the maternity notes, which you have to take to every appointment.

I think the midwife must have arranged our 12-week scan date (I think we got a letter) and said we could do the blood tests then. And that was that.

I think the 12 week scan (dating scan) is the most exciting one as it's when you get to see your little one for the first time (unless you book a private scan earlier or have complications).

Congratulations on your pregnancy! grin

ARV1981 Sun 12-Jul-15 16:06:27

If you're not already, start taking 400mcg folic acid every day... you can buy it from the pharmacy. It helps protect against spina bifida and other problems.

GlitzAndGigglesx Sun 12-Jul-15 16:08:16

I should've mentioned I self referred myself to the hospital so didn't go through my GP. I was sent a letter with first midwife appt within a week and the appt took about 40 mins

mmmuffins Sun 12-Jul-15 16:15:15

The first confirmation I had that I was pregnant was when I saw the baby at the scan at 13 weeks. Before that no one checked. Bloods were done at the scan as well (this was all only two days ago). I have never given any urine.

I get the impression many other people have bloods done at their booking-in though.

tinyme135 Sun 12-Jul-15 17:08:13

This is my first pregnancy too so I was clueless. I went to the docs and told them I had pcos and I done 6 tests and I don't believe them. He done a test and confirmed checked to see if I had any infections (which unfortunately I did) and then he told me to talk to the receptionist and she'll sort out my midwife stuff.

I phoned the midwife centre and within 4 days I was at my booking appointment (only because I was already 9 weeks gone). I was in there for about an hour. Blood tests done height and weight ins and outs of both sides of family. Once I was out I had my 16 week appointment booked and they booked my dating scan but didn't know the date till I had a letter in the post.

If you need any other advice we're here to help you hun. And congratulations xx

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Sun 12-Jul-15 18:10:57

My GP appointment was 5 minutes. She didn't confirm the pregnancy just booked me a midwife appointment & gave me a quick chat about what not to eat. That was it. I left feeling very underwhelmed but it is my first too & I was hoping for all sorts of balloons, streamers & maybe a parade through the surgery. It didn't happen wink

Roseybee10 Sun 12-Jul-15 19:39:44

My first GP appointment was just to refer me to a mw and check which hospital I wanted to go to.

I didn't see a mw either time until 13 week scan where I had bloods and urine tests etc.

Congratulations x

sjd114 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:06:56

Thanks so much for all your advice.. my clear blue test said 1-2 weeks pregnant, but a lot of sites have said wait until your about 6/8 weeks pregnant before I go to the doctors? Would I still be ok to go and just tell them I'm pregnant.. will i get laughed at ?!

Thanks again!
X

Appleblossom82 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:10:19

Just give them a bell and tell the receptionist you are pregnant and see what they suggest. I was 5 weeks when i called.

Appleblossom82 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:11:49

You probably know this but 1-2 weeks on clearblue = 3-4 weeks pregnant

sjd114 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:23:03

I never knew that!? I bet that makes me look really silly! So I could he 3-4 weeks?! Oh my gosh! Exciting!!

dillydollydarling Sun 12-Jul-15 20:37:21

I rang the doctors surgery after getting a 1-2 weeks result on a clear blue test. They booked me an appointment with the midwife for about 4 weeks later. At that appointment mw just took lots of details, medical history etc, did a urine test and gave us lots of info. Then booked a blood test for when I was 10 weeks pregnant and then got a letter through the post about my 12 week scan!

TravellingToad Sun 12-Jul-15 20:40:31

yes the clearblue 1-2 weeks is how many weeks after conception but pregnancy is started from day 1 of your last period. So you're probably 3-4 weeks after the first day of bleeding? It's a STUPID system because you've only been pregnant for 1-2 weeks but it counts as 3-4 weeks pregnant...

OhEmGeee Sun 12-Jul-15 21:15:24

Pregnancy is dated from the first day of your last period not conception. You can go to the GP but they may tell you to just self refer to the midwife. They'll just take your word for it. Take folic acid and look on the NHS website about foods to avoid. Don't google as it'll come up with all sorts of crap!

Don't leave it as I had my booking in appointments at 8 weeks with the midwife. Congrats!

Appleblossom82 Sun 12-Jul-15 21:33:17

Not at all sjd you dont just automatically know this stuff and the way its dated is pretty silly.

Congratulations flowers

chopsface Sun 12-Jul-15 21:53:56

Congratulations! I just phoned the gp's surgery when I had my positive test and they told me what to do with regards to contacting the midwives. Some places do it for you and some, like mine, tell you to do it yourself! I never saw the gp at all.

Like the others have said you first see a Midwife between 8-10 weeks preg so prob in 4-6 weeks time! They'll take a family history and do your blood tests and book your 12w scan.

I also recommended you take vitamin D supplements as well as folic acid :-) good luck with your pregnancy.

scatterbrainedlass Tue 14-Jul-15 09:44:30

No-one will laugh at you sjd, it's a minefield for first timers, there's so much to get your head around, so many new emotions and feelings. Really pleased for you, and I hope your pregnancy journey will be a good one smile This is my first time too, I'm 26 weeks. I rang my local surgery when I was about 6 weeks (they date from 1st day of last period, so you'd actually only have been pregnant for about 4 weeks!!) and made an appointment to see the midwife. She basically took some details, answered questions, and arranged a booking in appointment and scan for me at the hospital. Don't be embarrassed about doing something silly or asking questions, most midwives are great, and it's their job to reassure you and make sure you know what's going on. Good luck smile

MissMartin10 Tue 14-Jul-15 10:16:33

Yay! Congratulations lovely! xx
i just went to the doctors after 11 positive tests blush .. he didn't re-rest or do anything to be honest. . he reffered me to midwife and she asked me my near family medical history on both mine and dps sides and took my blood and asked mea few questions.. everyone always says it's s long appointment but it only lasted 20mins and i was done... how are you with blood tests? x

sjd114 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:37:40

Ah! Thank you so much for all your advice you lovely people!! grin I guess first time pregnancy = a lot to learn. I saw my gp today, she didn't really say much, other than what not to eat.. and take vitamin d and folic acid. Also worked out 5 & a half weeks pregnant! And them the receptionist sent my details to the midwife.. so should hear from them soon!?!?

X

sjd114 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:38:37

@MissMartin10 .. I've always been ok with blood tests & needles, hopefully this hasn't changed! Eek!

MissMartin10 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:46:15

oh good! i was a wreck haha.. it was my first blood test and i actually cried before she did it. . i HATE! Needles ... yeah so they will be in touch soon and get the ball rolling grin ... ooh 5.5weeks so your further along than you thought .. yay! smile
hopefully you'll get seen early.. every thing seems delayed with mine despite telling them so early i don't have my 12w scan (currently 12+2) until I'm 13w3d.. im sooo impatient lol

Take care xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now