Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough

(12 Posts)
Appleblossom82 Tue 07-Jul-15 21:26:46

Been invited for whooping cough vaccine. Just wanted to check with mumsnet wisdom that this is safe. I have read the booklet the nhs sent and plan on having it, but still interested to hear if anyone else knows of any reports of issues.

Shootingstar2289 Tue 07-Jul-15 21:32:28

I had it 3 weeks ago, at 37 weeks. It took me a while to decide (hence having it later than advised) but decided to do it, as whooping cough can be fatal for newborns. I've had no side effects whatsoever!

youlemming Tue 07-Jul-15 21:38:03

I had it at 28 wks and apart from a bit of a sore arm which is expected with most injections I was fine, definetly more to risk by not having it as the cases of whooping cough in newborns have increased dramatically over the last few years

ARV1981 Wed 08-Jul-15 07:00:59

I had it at 28 weeks too. No side effects, and better than baby getting whooping cough in the first few weeks of life.

I think you should have it.

Skiptonlass Wed 08-Jul-15 07:56:06

Yes, it's safe. Ignore any rubbish from the antivaxx morons on t'internet.

Whooping cough kills. I had it as a baby and nearly died. it's on the way back as well as vaccination rates drop (arrrghhh!) not only that but if you get it too you'll feel terrible and that's not what you want when you have a gorgeous new baby.

As with most injections you'll likely have a slightly red /tender bit at the injection site for a wee while (this would happen if you injected anything, even something inert like saline.)

Go for it smile vaccines are a true wonder of modern medicine.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Wed 08-Jul-15 08:04:32

I had it at 32 weeks with no side effects. As with all vaccines, it's a case of weighing up the risk of a known and scary illness against unproven risks. As Skiptonlass says - a wonder of modern medicine!

Topsy34 Wed 08-Jul-15 08:08:12

You should really be talking to your mw, or gp. Technically no one knows if its safe during pregnancy as the one currently offered in the uk is not licensed for pregnancy, however it is thought the benefites out weigh the risk. It is not just pertissus that you will be vaccinated for its a 4 part vaccine, including tetanus, polio and diptheria

So, is it safe....dont actually know, should you get it, thats your choice.

Appleblossom82 Wed 08-Jul-15 08:22:45

Thanks all. I am planning to have it. Ive just had bad skin reactions to 2 vaccines (meningitis and dyptheria) in the past and worry what impact a vaccine could have on an unborn baby if it does that to me sometimes, but i suppose they know what they are doing. Plus obviously risk of baby getting ill is greater.

I suppose i just wanted to talk to other pregnant ladies about it to get a general feel.

topsy not much point in talking to my midwife or gp as they will just tell me whats in the nhs booklet.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 08-Jul-15 08:23:03

I was in the first wave of vaccinations nearly 3 years ago now. No problems except I had it on the same day as the flu jab so had TWO sore arms.

There's a really useful paper here: www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/338567/PHE_pertussis_in_pregnancy_information_for_HP_2014_doc_V3.pdf

It's not a live vaccine, so it shouldn't cause infection.

Skiptonlass Wed 08-Jul-15 10:33:12

^ good paper!

If it makes you feel any better, we do monitor ALL adverse reactions to drugs and vaccines. If a patient has an abnormal reaction to the drug/vaccine it gets reported and all of these reports are collated and analysed. So it's constantly monitored, not just put on the market and left. If anything emerges from that, there are safety reviews and procedures to follow. So far, this vaccine has been given to a large population and nothing significant has been found.

Mention the skin reactions to your GP. They will assess if they were normal or not.

As you may realise, I am Team Vaccine here ;) I recently read some great research that showed that if a child gets measles, it effectively wipes out a couple of years of previous immunity, so by not getting the MMR, people are not only exposing their child and everyone else's to measles, but the kid's immune system will not remember previous exposures to other pathogens. The team looked at deaths from infectious disease in children over several years and could see that deaths from OTHER diseases tracked with (with the expected time lag) measles outbreaks. So the myth peddled by antivaxx groups that measles is a non serious infection (it isn't) is not just crap, but it's even worse that that. By not getting one vaccine, immunity to other things is compromised. It will be very interesting to see if this stands for other common childhood diseases as well.

Waves little pro vaccine flag....

shushpenfold Wed 08-Jul-15 10:35:59

Having known an adult with it very recently and then having coughed myself for the last 3 months I would not hesitate to have the vaccination. I'm not sure a newborn could cope with it.....I didn't sleep for weeks and felt like I couldn't breathe whilst coughing. It's hideous.

Appleblossom82 Wed 08-Jul-15 11:19:53

Thanks all. Skipton in particular for explaining the background details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now