Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ceaser dressing?

(14 Posts)
tinyme135 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:41:43

Can I eat shop brought ceaser dressing. I know you can't eat it if it's home made. MIL knows I like it but doesn't know I'm pregnant yet and she always puts it on my food.

scarednoob Mon 06-Jul-15 18:45:36

if you are buying it off the shelf in a bottle, I'd be surprised if you couldn't eat it, as that kind of pre-packaged stuff tends to use powdered and pasteurised eggs. however, if you know the brand that she buys, why not email them? I have done that with lots of the places near work that do things l like for lunch - pret, EAT, vital ingredient etc - and so far they've all emailed back straightaway and confirmed!

tinyme135 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:47:42

Oh that's good then, I love the stuff and the MIL looks at me funny when I don't touch it haha

scarednoob Mon 06-Jul-15 18:49:28

me too - it's really hard not ordering it in restaurants! but i am more cautious there, as apparently a lot of restaurants buy eggs in bulk from abroad as it's cheaper, and they aren't always vaccinated like british hens.

I would just give the brand a quick email; they should come back really quickly and put your mind at rest. then get stuck in!

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:49:56

Why couldn't you have homemade?

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:51:07

Im sure bottled sauces and dressings are fine. No need to worry.

tinyme135 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:52:40

Because it's made our of fresh eggs and tye MW said you can't eat eggs unless it's cooked right through...I.e you can't have a sausage and egg sandwich where the egg is runny in the middle.

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:55:08

Ok. I thought it was ok in this country as our eggs are salmonella free. But i dont est eggs so not looked into it much! Sure bottled will be fine. As pp says it will be made from powdered eggs most likely.

scarednoob Mon 06-Jul-15 18:56:00

the mw is right in that is what the nhs says. for this reason I have stuck to it.

however, I must say that I know loads of people who don't bother, so long as the eggs are lion stamped and therefore the hen was vaccinated against salmonella. my friend who is 2 weeks behind me has been living on runny poached eggs and eggs benedict!

tinyme135 Mon 06-Jul-15 20:18:57

The minute the midwife told me no runny eggs at all i cried a little cause that's all I ate at for breakfast. Sausage and egg sandwiches

Brummiegirl15 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:47:17

I have my eggs soft-ish (the white is cooked) but only when I am home and am eating supermarket bought eggs which I can see is lion stamped and well within dates.

I wouldn't ever have soft eggs in a restaurant as you no idea of the origin of the eggs.

All supermarket Caesar dressing will be pasteurised. Something had to preserve it sat on the shelves!

TitusAndromedon Mon 06-Jul-15 22:20:30

Apparently there are plans afoot to change the guidelines regarding eggs. Lion stamped eggs are free of salmonella and thus totally fine to eat, even runny. As a precaution I am still careful to ensure eggs are fully cooked when eating out, but I am much more lenient at home where I know the eggs are safe.

geekymommy Mon 06-Jul-15 22:23:45

Can you read the label on the bottle and see if it says if the eggs are pasteurized?

If it's a mass market brand, I'd be surprised if the eggs weren't pasteurized.

scarednoob Tue 07-Jul-15 09:33:03

geeky I think the problem is that her MIL is preparing the food and doesn't know about the baby yet - it might be a bit of a giveaway if she starts reading labels! it's so difficult keeping it quiet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now