Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Give me a kick baby

(23 Posts)
Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 11:45:08

So im 23 weeks with my first baby now and feeling occasional twinges and bubbles, but not very many and nothing resembling a definite kick. Its usually when i have eaten or am lying down in the evening that i notice these tiny movements.

Just wanted to ask when you all felt more definite and regular movement from the baby.

BabyBNumberThree Mon 06-Jul-15 12:00:55

I'd have thought you should be feeling kicks and wriggles a lot more regularly by 23 weeks. I'm 15 weeks with my third and feeling wriggles on a daily basis x

bunny85 Mon 06-Jul-15 12:04:43

Hi Apple, I'm nearly 20 weeks and have been feeling very gentle pokes for the last week or two maybe. They are also mainly after food or in the evenings. My first baby too. I think it really depends on so many factors and it's different from woman to woman. Surely they'll soon become more regular and hard, don't you worry! wink

DandelionWishes88 Mon 06-Jul-15 12:09:33

Hey apple im exactly the same as you I have felt a few kicks but not too powerful. But im on the go most of the time I feel her move quite a bit in the bath when listening to music or lying down. I think everyone is different I also have a anterior placenta which may mean I can't feel all the kicks
hope this helps xxx

slightlyconfused85 Mon 06-Jul-15 12:09:45

Hi Apple I didn't feel anything significant till 23-24 weeks but I have an anterior placenta so it was acting a cushion. Is this the case for you?

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 12:18:52

No, placenta is at the back. I checked that at my scan.

He was wriggling away on the scan 3 weeks ago, i just cant feel much!

I'm impatient!

Starspread Mon 06-Jul-15 12:23:30

I'm 23 weeks today with my first baby, and it's only really in the last week or so that it's gone from little flutters and wriggles to actual kicks. Totally understand the impatience! But as baby's still wriggling around, doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about - every body and every pregnancy is different.

BeautifulBatman Mon 06-Jul-15 12:24:32

Apple dont panic. It's not unusual - I'm also pregnant with my first (25+6) and only started feeling definite movement a few weeks ago. The baby is still really quite small and depending on position, you won't feel anything. I say all this after having a panic induced unplanned scan yesterday because I didn't really feel the baby move at all for 36 hours after about 3 days of it doing the can can. And definitely do not compare to someone who's on baby number 3..... not helpful. hmm

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 12:43:09

Thanks ladies. I shall try not to worry and be patient...

<prods stomach hopefully and mainlines a bar of chocolate>

scarednoob Mon 06-Jul-15 12:45:35

I don't think I've done anything but google "baby movements" for the past week, despite 2 checks by the dr and mw with a Doppler, both of which said good heartbeat. I'm 26+6 today and I just feel some nudges and occasional kicks a day. it feels that most people say theirs is never still. so I am terrifying myself with internet horror stories like a total muppet.

DON'T be me, is what I'm saying here - for all my panicking, there do seem to be a good number of ladies out there who just have chilled babies who don't thrash around that much!

MummyPiggy87 Mon 06-Jul-15 12:58:59

I tend to get more kicks after I've had a fizzy drink. Laying flat on my back also gets her kicking, it's like she doesn't like it or something. Don't worry though, my first was very lazy (he was a boy need I say more lol)x

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:03:17

scared im a bit of a googler too! Never a good idea.

mummy this one is a boy so maybe that explains it ;-)

sizethree Mon 06-Jul-15 18:34:46

Did your midwife say where your placenta is lying? I've got an anterior placenta so it cushions a lot of the feelings off ember (and majes for hearing baby's heartbeat on a Doppler tricky.) I can definitely feel wriggles and just in past few days I've felt what feel like my tummy being gently flicked from the inside. Which I presume is kicks. I'm 22+4.

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:37:59

The sonographer said its at the back, so its not that. I am feeling a few bubble like feelings...i just thought id be feeling more distinct kicks by now!

scarednoob Mon 06-Jul-15 18:47:29

mine is also at the back. the frustration of google is enhanced when everyone else complaining of the same thing seems to have an anterior placenta!

you're still v early on and your bubs is still tiny; even I only started to get paranoid when I got to 26 weeks and she's still not hefting around as much as everyone else's bumps seemed to. but my friend just told me that she never really got big kicks - just swoops and rolls. and her little boy is now 2 and divine!

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 19:00:46

Someone i know is a week behind me and claims her baby is kicking so much she can see her stomach moving. Im surprised she would have that at 21 weeks but dont suppose she would make it up!

So im a bit like errr, baby what are you up to?! Come on!

Lonz Mon 06-Jul-15 19:06:23

I think with first babies you don't really recognise the movements until they're really obvious. With subsequent pregnancies I think you notice it more because you've felt the sensations before. I felt definite movements when I was about 21 weeks.

newbian Mon 06-Jul-15 19:16:29

All babies are different. Mine has always been extremely active on scans so now that I feel her she's exactly the same and I started to feel her around 21 weeks. I wouldn't say I feel kicks necessarily but just a lot of motion like she is rolling around in there. But if you have a more chilled out baby who moves less then you would expect to feel less.

Snowflake15 Mon 06-Jul-15 19:18:08

I'm nearly 29 weeks and my baby doesn't move much, but always fine on scans etc... Some babies are just more chilled

Appleblossom82 Mon 06-Jul-15 19:21:44

Chilled baby sounds good to me! Obviously takes after his daddy not his stresshead mummy.

MeganChips Mon 06-Jul-15 19:28:56

I was 23 weeks before I felt DC1 at all. I had an anterior placenta though.

DC2 was about 15 weeks, because I knew what I was looking for.

Don't worry, you'll be telling him to go to sleep and stop keeping you awake before long.

Sleeplessinnorthlondon Mon 06-Jul-15 20:03:39

I am coming up for 22 weeks and still v much just odd "pops" etc - no regular kicks at all and if wasn't pregnant would think was curry side effects smile Asked about this at midwife appt and she said it was (as pps have said) diff for all, esp to do with whether first - apaz later pregnancies feel earlier but also tightness of pre pregnancy stomach muscles and size of tummy. I don't know how this works as I always had a real old paunch and my line manager is a dance teacher wit a tiny v taught tummy and she didn't feel anything til 24 weeks - can only imagine super tight tummy stops you feeling kicks whilst cavernous space like mine also means less likely to be felt. My mum didn't feel anything til the end and was so nervous she lied that she had in case there was a problem (crazy anxious logic but I was born very lively.) bottom line: don't worry!!!!

batfish Mon 06-Jul-15 20:07:43

I felt my first kick from outside at just over 21 weeks but up until that point I hadn't been feeling much at all - I know it's hard but try not to compare yourself with others too much especially those on 2nd or more babies because they tend to feel earlier and everyone is different. I'm sure your baby will be kicking away before too long smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now