Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

28 week scan? Not sure why?

(9 Posts)
ImpatiencePersonified Sat 04-Jul-15 09:25:04

Soooooo, we had an episode of reduced movement a few weeks back, went to get checked out there was my wee boys heart giving it hammer time..... He was fine. Midwife discharged us within half an hour but has us booked in for a scan on Monday, I didn't really think to ask why at the time because I was so relieved he was ok.

I'm at the hospital for my anti d injection anyway due to my negative blood groups but when I've mentioned I'm having a scan too they seem quite concerned.... Apparently it's not normal to have one at this stage?

I did THE worst thing last night and googled it.... I'm massive for 28 weeks and am now convinced it's because they think I've got too much amniotic fluid.... I'm panicking.

Has anyone had a scan at 28 weeks just as routine or is there always a reason?

Mulligrubs Sat 04-Jul-15 09:31:32

I have them as routine as my last son was tiny. It is usually a growth scan. It is nothing to worry about. Some people get them if their BMI is high, they have other health conditions before or during pregnancy or are measuring smaller or bigger for dates. Do not panic at all.

Iloveonionchutney Sat 04-Jul-15 09:34:13

I have a scan every four weeks for growth, but I have health issues. Some hospitals like to be over cautious. Try not to worry if it was something they were that worries about they'd have scanned you straight away.

ImpatiencePersonified Sat 04-Jul-15 09:39:31

Thanks ladies, I do have a high BMI so I wonder if that's what it is..... I'll find out Monday regardless I guess but wish I'd questioned it at the time!

Excitedmummytobe00 Sat 04-Jul-15 09:39:40

impatient please don't be worrying, I went in for reduced movements in Thursday, thankfully lo's heartbeat was strong and healthy. I was then referred for a scan, this is just to check the amount of amontic fluid and the blood flow in the placenta. Hope all goes well! flowers

ashtrayheart Sat 04-Jul-15 09:41:44

I had lots of scans at that stage as I had increased amniotic fluid. It didn't cause any problems and the scans are really clear so even if it is that, you should be fine they just keep an eye on it.

Mulligrubs Sat 04-Jul-15 09:50:51

It is probably your BMI then plus having an episode of reduced movement so they are being cautious - that's why I had growth scans in my last pregnancy(BMI). It is totally routine in these circumstances so they can measure the baby accurately so honestly, do not panic! You may also get another scan at 32-34 weeks as well, again just routine to make sure the baby is growing nicely and the plancenta and cord are healthy smile

scarednoob Sat 04-Jul-15 17:21:18

Omg are you me?! I just went to get checked out as still worrying about movement; I also have to have the horrid anti d jab... I have also been told I can have another scan - reason given is "reduced fetal movement". If you check your notes they might have put it in there?

I am sure it's nothing more than that but keep us posted!

ImpatiencePersonified Tue 07-Jul-15 13:24:52

Awww you're all very lovely thank you.

It was all FINE.

Turns out they're doing a study at my hospital into reduced movements and just wanted to capture his measurements as part of it.... selfishly it was great to see him on screen so I was v chuffed after yesterday.

ANNNNNNNNNDDDDDD relax!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now