Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swollen feet

(17 Posts)
GlitzAndGigglesx Fri 03-Jul-15 17:59:37

I'm bloody sick of them now! They've really ballooned today because of the heat and I can't walk properly because of them. They're not as bad at night or first thing in the morning but the more active I am the more they seem to swell and they look and feel awful. I didn't suffer with them in my first pregnancy. I wanted to know how long after pregnancy it took for yours to go back to normal? I've had them like this for about 6 weeks which makes it hard to wear comfy footwear angry. I'm 36w btw

bugoven Fri 03-Jul-15 19:42:34

I had awful swelling in my first pregnancy. People were literally gasping in horror at my feet.
A few days after birth I deemed worse, especially in my legs. 3 weeks later and I had weed out over 3 stone in water and barely recognised myself.
Keep on eye on it and don't feel like you're making a fuss if you want to get your blood pressure/wee teated a little more frequently to check for preeclampsia. I really feel your pain, it was so horrible.
20 weeks so far this time and not suffering so far. Hoping it was just a one off!

Augustwedding Fri 03-Jul-15 19:50:26

Mine are swollen and the skin tight so painful to walk on. I look princess Fiona in her ogre stage! Thank god for flip flops!

GlitzAndGigglesx Fri 03-Jul-15 20:55:00

bugoven I was showing signs of preeclampsia and my bp suddenly shot up, but has since gone back to a moderate level. It's just so uncomfortable and if I lean on them I get freaky dents in them. I just have cankles tbh. This is a twin pregnancy so I thought it might be the pressure on my body? Gahhh i'm gonna soak them in a bucket of cold water soon!

August it feels so horrible trying to bend and twist them! Even flip flops are leaving marks on me

Nottalotta Fri 03-Jul-15 21:18:49

Fellow sufferer. Had it a little bit last week when i was off work. This week it has been horrendous. I work in an office, lovely aircon but clearly sitting at a desk doesn't agree with me. Day off today and they weren't so bad. I am struggling with putting my feet up as can't lay on my back. Putting them in cold water is lovely, also The body shop do a minty foot and leg gel which is bliss! I'm also 36 weeks and limited to one pair of soft leather flip flops.

Augustwedding Fri 03-Jul-15 21:30:35

I'm 36 weeks as well! Flip flops are leaving marks but I try to avoid leaving them on to long. Midwife said to drink more water and put feet up as often as poss!

GlitzAndGigglesx Fri 03-Jul-15 21:34:38

That's the thing all advice has been to keep feet up but sadly that's not possible with an active child! I can't lay on my back either to prop my feet up on the sofa so I try and have a pillow at the end of the bed when I'm sleeping, which tends to be kicked off by morning. Ahhhh the joys of pregnancy! It'll all be over soon...

Augustwedding Fri 03-Jul-15 21:47:24

The problem I have is if in sitting down and put feet up it really aggravates my pgp so have to lie down! At least it's my first so no other children to run round after!

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 03-Jul-15 21:51:37

Mine were dreadful in my first pregnancy.
Make sure you keep all your appointments so you're monitored for pre eclampsia.
Mine went back to normal very very quickly after the birth.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Fri 03-Jul-15 22:17:58

I just don't think people understand how awful swollen feet can be. I'm now telling people that I have a condition called obstetric podiatrical engorgement! It gets a much better reaction - loads more sympathy!

GlitzAndGigglesx Fri 03-Jul-15 22:28:08

Lorelai I agree! Luckily I have friends who suffered badly too, but some who haven't suffered just say they'll go down after birth, but it makes each day a struggle and careful footwear planning

twomorecats Sat 04-Jul-15 08:26:46

36 weeks as well and my feet are so swollen and painful. They've been rubbing on my shoes so I have corns now as well.

GlitzAndGigglesx Sat 04-Jul-15 11:43:08

Oh no! I'm so tempted to barefoot it but London streets are hardly safe or clean to do that

ScorpioMermaid Sat 04-Jul-15 14:33:21

My right foot/cankle is more noticeably swollen than the left side. when I put them up I get pins and needles. it started yesterday after I went to see the midwife. bp etc all fine so I have no idea. confused hmm

Nottalotta Sat 04-Jul-15 22:49:35

My right is worse too but I feel that's as a result of an old operation. My leather flip flops have developed a small tear!! I don't think they will last another 4 weeks.

The skin under my heels is looking dry and rough. I never get that normally!!

PiercedMrsL Sun 05-Jul-15 17:01:13

Can I join the cankle club too please? Even my nice comfy converse are too tight now, im either flip flops or bare feet at the moment.

GlitzAndGigglesx Sun 05-Jul-15 17:04:53

I changed shoes 4 times before finally heading out earlier. They've gone down but I don't know if that's because my trainers squashed them or the cooler weather contributed. The skin is still quite tight and sore though angry. Notta I've been going at my heels with a rough exfoliator otherwise I'll sit picking at the skin as revolting as that sounds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now