Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypnobirthing/natal hypnotherapy

(12 Posts)
enviousllama Wed 01-Jul-15 22:03:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Wed 01-Jul-15 22:07:02

I've had hypnotherapy for PTSD before and had brilliant results. My sister-in-law, whose a GP, used it for her second and third births and found it really helpful. She used a book and CD. I've gone back to the hypnotherapist I saw for PTSD for a few sessions but I'm 8 weeks off my due date as I can't report how useful I've found it yet!

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Wed 01-Jul-15 22:12:57

I did hypnobirthing. Had a painless, calm birth which was completely beautiful. I have had a bit of grief on MN for talking about it but would totally recommend it. I didn't do a group but did have a session with a doula who talked me through it. Lots of the visualisation stuff was too complicated when it came to it - practice the breathing, focus on it and it will be enough. PM me if I can advise more.

scrivette Wed 01-Jul-15 22:36:37

The midwives asked if I was doing hypnobirthing when I was in labour. I wasn't but I just spent the while time focusing on breathing and had a very positive experience so can see that HB would be good.

enviousllama Wed 01-Jul-15 22:55:15

applecore0317 Wed 01-Jul-15 23:27:57

I used the Maggie Howell book and cd and found it really made me think positively in the lead up to the birth.

My labour went well in that I was able to breath through the contractions and focussed on each one bringing me closer to meeting her. I did it without pain relief too which surprised me, so would definitely recommend.

frangipani13 Thu 02-Jul-15 08:38:45

We've done the wise hippo hypnobirthing course and although I haven't given birth so far it's helped prepare loads and change my mindset completely. They have videos on YouTube and could possibly sell you the book and mp3s, , , perhaps worth contacting them via the website. If nothing else the mp3s have been amazing to help me sleep through this intense weather! Good luck!

Strokethefurrywall Thu 02-Jul-15 17:30:51

I had a hypnobirth with DS1 and it was great. Used the Marie Mongan book which is great if you ignore the "women have been giving birth in fields for years without pain relief" bull crap.

I used it for the relaxation and visualization exercises and didn't do any classes (not offered here). It helped that DS1 was in optimal birthing position and from first contraction to baby was just shy of 5 hours, but the whole process was great and I was able to get in the zone.

I just concentrated on challenging myself to relax even more with each contraction and visualized blowing up a blue balloon each time and blowing it away as the contraction faded. And the relaxation cd helped too which I listed to from about 25 weeks, most nights.

Enjoyed some G&A at 10 cms for about 2 minutes until they took it off me for pushing.

I would use it for the relaxation and calming techniques alone. I never had a fear of childbirth but friends said they found the rationalization behind it comforting to help diminish any fears they had, even if they did end up with pain relief which was no big deal anyway.

I didn't set out to have a pain relief free birth at all, more that I wanted a birth that was calm and enjoyable and wanted techniques to help me manage the pain. Hypnobirthing definitely delivered that.

Topsy34 Thu 02-Jul-15 18:49:58

I hypnobirthed with ds and it was amazing! So calm and peaceful, no pain relief just focussing on my breathing.

I actually have a hypnobirthing practitioner coming round tonight to do a refresher for us for this baby smile

Roseybee10 Thu 02-Jul-15 19:15:34

Maggie Howell and Marie Morgan both were helpful for me. I managed both labours on gas and air and one was back to back. I swear the breathing got me through.

Runningupthathill82 Thu 02-Jul-15 19:43:02

I did hypnobirthing, and pregnancy yoga as well.
It worked for the first four hours or so of labour, had absolutely no impact when things got tough.
But then, if you've got a back to back baby who gets stuck and has to be wrenched out with forceps, no amount of breathing exercises is going to help!
I think it can be helpful in straightforward births, and I've got friends who had positive experiences.
That said, i'm not going to bother doing the cds this time round. I'll try the breathing exercises that I remember from last time but, if things start going wrong again, I know I'll have to admit defeat.

enviousllama Thu 02-Jul-15 21:42:42

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now