Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thyroid help

(8 Posts)
MrsSnow Sun 28-Jun-15 16:23:51

I've posted before about thyroid.

Recap - 10 years ttc. IVF clinic put me on thyroid medication. Generally no one knows what to do. Currently 13 weeks.

Pre pregnancy tsh was about 3.92. Private IVF dr said it was too high to conceive. So was placed on drugs to bring down.

Currently on 50mg of levothyroxine and midwife has come back saying tsh is 2.09 and range is 0.27 - 4.20 ie the same range as non pregnant women.

Does anyone know if it needs to be lower? Is there any documentation I can wave at the nhs? Also should I persue this with the midwife or go my gp? The midwife has booked me with clinical obstetrics but that is not until August. What if it rises? Sorry very over anxious. Really don't want to lose another baby.

OhEmGeee Sun 28-Jun-15 17:27:38

cks.nice.org.uk/hypothyroidism#!scenario:3

OhEmGeee Sun 28-Jun-15 17:29:14

NICE guidelines. I would print them out. Your TSH should definitely be at the lower end.

Jellybean100 Sun 28-Jun-15 17:36:38

I was told it should ideally be below 1 at my last clinic appointment but below 2 is okay

batfish Sun 28-Jun-15 18:17:15

I am on thyroxine too as had my thyroid removed last year - I think different places can have different ranges but where I have my tests the TSH range is 0.35 - 4.94 but during pregnancy should be below 2.5 I'm first trimester and below 3 in second trimester. I am on 162.5 mcg thyroxine. Not sure if that helps but hope you get sorted! We were going to start TTC over 2 years ago but then my thyroid problems started so we had to put it on hold and started as soon as my bloods were ok again after my thyroidectomy.

MrsSnow Sun 28-Jun-15 21:06:24

Thanks for the link.

I read through and found where it should be, sent the link to the midwife who says she will contact obstetrics as it is outside her knowledge which is good as definitely feel as if needs more monitoring than this.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Sun 28-Jun-15 23:13:30

My TSH is 0.1 at the moment - endocrinologist said he'd like it around 0.2/0.3 but the obstetric consultant said if it's stays at 0.1 they'd be happy with that.

www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/guidelines/Lothian%20Guidance%20for%20Diagnosis%20and%20Management%20of%20thyroid%20function%20in%20pregnancy.pdf

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Sun 28-Jun-15 23:15:07

You should be under the care of an endocrinologist & reviewed every six weeks as per the NICE guidelines too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now