Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to expect at 40 week appointment?

(8 Posts)
JRWREN2110 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:43:34

I just wanted to know what i should expect at my 40 week midwife appointment, I will be 40+5, so really I will be nearly 41 weeks, will they talk to me about inducing???

I don't really think I want a sweep, but would like this baby out, I just would rather they induced me properly if they were going too rather than faff! I am totally fed up with being pregnant and SO HOT! I know I should wait until she is ready but I AM DONE, I can't do this much longer....

mayaknew Sat 27-Jun-15 19:45:49

Iirc they just gave me a date to be induced and told me to come back in a week (they induce at 40+14 here)

They also told me they don't sweep until you are at least 40+7 . But I think all health boards are different . Hope you go soon!! thanks

CityDweller Sat 27-Jun-15 19:47:07

Yes. Or at least at mine they had automatically booked me in for an induction at 40+10. I declined that induction and got all sorts of grief from the mw. DD arrived under her own steam at 40+13.
They can't force you to do anything you don't want to (induction/ sweep/ etc). I did tons of research on induction and going overdue and knew what the 'risks' were and the alternatives (monitoring daily from 40+14.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 27-Jun-15 19:56:39

Didn't even mention induction at my 40 week appt, it was the same as all other appts and they booked me in at 41 weeks to discuss induction etc. They did urine check, blood pressure, check heartbeat etc and that was it. DD came at 40+6 so I didn't need the next one.
Second pregnancy now and you don't have a 40 week appt in my area, I've just had my 38 week appt and next one is 41 weeks which has been booked for 41+2. Really hoping to not need that one!

JRWREN2110 Sat 27-Jun-15 20:38:00

Thanks for the replies! I hope she comes soon, although I have no BH or any signs she will show soon. Just the feeling I will be pregnant forever.

I guess I will have to wait and see what the midwife says, I don't know the rules here confused. I am so desperate to meet my baby, so is DH (although I think my constant mood swings might be contributing too). Grotbag that seems a long time to go between appointments, I thought 2 weeks was long, but you will be nearly 3 weeks between them! I hope your baby comes when you want them too flowers.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 27-Jun-15 20:43:32

It'll be over 3 weeks if I make the 41 week appt! They don't see you nearly as often with subsequent pregnancies. Really hoping I don't make the 41 week appt though, I can't cope being heavily pregnant in this heat!

JRWREN2110 Sat 27-Jun-15 20:47:56

I am totally with you there, I just can't bear going outside, it is too darn hot. Plus being this heavy, I am wearing a fat suit! This late on I have I huge thighs and arms too, hoping it is just breast-feeding food and it will disappear in the coming weeks or water-retention, might thighs are solid, not flabby. I am mumbling, basically: fat-suit = HOTHOTHOT!! I need this baby out.

Runningupthathill82 Sun 28-Jun-15 00:11:16

They didn't mention induction at my 40wk appt, just said they'd see me next week if nothing had happened.

I asked, but they said we'd worry about that if we came to it. She didn't think DS was even engaged at that point, so I thought we were potentially a long way off.

Went into labour that night, DS born 24hrs later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now