Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really worried about lack of symptoms as first scan gets near - what happns if it's bad news?

(18 Posts)
ShimmeringCobalt Sat 27-Jun-15 11:57:43

I'm just over 8 weeks pregnant and I've no symptoms worth talking about.

It's my third pregnancy so I know this time is different.

I'm still getting stong positive on pregnancy tests and 3 + weeks on the digital one.

With my last 2, I've been sick as a dog, fainting, wakening up during the night to be sick, not able to exercise, eat or drink normally. This time I feel none of this.

GP says I'll be seen at th hospital around 10/11 weeks for my first scan.

I'm just trying to brace myself for what will happen if there is no baby.

It'll be so different to the times before when seeing the heartbeat was amazing.

I know I sound negative but I'm trying to be realistic.

What would happen in my situation.

I'm so worried about this.

Daffodilliesanddaisies Sat 27-Jun-15 12:06:06

I was the same, no symptoms other than slightly sore boobs. I was so worried especially as I'd had bad morning sickness in my last pregnancy too. I was terrified at the 12 week scan but it was fine, and I'm now 30 weeks. The only symptoms I've had are sore boobs and constipation all the way through. I do have the dreaded spd now. Try not to worry, everyone's symptoms are different.

bakingtins Sat 27-Jun-15 12:07:43

Honestly, if you are that worried I'd go have a private scan, they are widely available for £60-80. A good scan with a HB at 8 weeks gives you a 97% chance of a good outcome. To answer your question if you were found to have a missed miscarriage you would be offered expectant, medical or surgical management, more info on all options on the Miscarriage Association site if you wanted to google it. If the foetus measured around the 6 week stage (common for growth to stop at around this stage) then irrespective of your dates you would have to be rescanned 1-2 weeks later to see if there is growth or a heartbeat, which drags out the whole process.

sebsmummy1 Sat 27-Jun-15 12:20:55

I am the queen of bad news scans so I can definitely advise.

First of all could you book a private scan to just put your mind at rest? The advantage of finding out any bad news sooner would be that it gives you more options if indeed it is a missed miscarriage (and I certainly don't think this is the case, just answering your question).

My EPAU suggests medical management before 9 weeks, MVA under local or general thereafter. You can always elect to have a natural miscarriage which is where you just wait for the process to happen without help.

To be honest if you haven't had symptoms at all I think that's less worrying than having symptoms that suddenly disappear. I hardly had any symptoms with my sons pregnancy and all went perfectly. I've had symptoms in other pregnancies and had miscarriages, so symptoms certainly don't guarantee a healthy pregnancy.

Wishing you lots of luck xx

ShimmeringCobalt Sat 27-Jun-15 12:47:57

Thanks for the replies, it's not a nice subject I know.

I'm not sure where I'd go for a private scan.

I'll have to google.

Clairejessica123 Sat 27-Jun-15 14:57:41

Like sebsmummy said symptoms don't always mean a healthy pregnancy. With my miscarriage I felt awful for the whole 12 weeks before my scan however now I'm pregnant again I had hardly any and I'm currently 21 weeks. I used a company called baby bond for an early scan this time so might be worth seeing if there's one near you? Wishing you luck i know the waiting isn't fun

batfish Sat 27-Jun-15 17:35:41

I had no symptoms and was also really worried that it was a bad sign. This is my first pregnancy, however pregnancies for the same person can be very different - a friend sailed through her first pregnancy and then suffered loads the whole way through her second. So although it is impossible not to worry it doesn't necessarily mean anything that you are having a very different experience this time. Hope all goes well!

Azquilith Sat 27-Jun-15 17:47:02

My first pregnancy I had absolutely no symptoms at all until I turned into a whale about 7 months. Only found out I was pregnant at about 8 weeks by vaguely thinking 'hmm when did I last have a period'.
This pregnancy (13 weeks) I've felt every bloody nauseous second basically from conception.
But I've been much more worried this time and have already had two private scans, mainly so I can eyeball the little wriggly thing causing all the trauma!

ShimmeringCobalt Sat 27-Jun-15 18:30:48

Thanks for the reassurance, much appreciated.

I suppose I won't really know any ing for certain until the scan.

I've had a boy and a girl and this pregnancy is different to both so it can't be a different gender that's causing the lack of symptoms.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Baguettes Sat 27-Jun-15 18:48:48

I have everything crossed for you, shimmering.

As others have said, book yourself an early scan if you are really worried. Hopefully it will put your mind at ease to see a perfectly healthy little bean in there.

Let us know how you get on flowers

wigglylines Sat 27-Jun-15 18:52:11

I was the same, and when I told my friends lots of them has felt the same too. One if my friends says she spent the days leading up to the scan irrationally imagining she'd get in trouble with the hospital for making it all up (despite positive pregnancy test). The baby was, it turns out, very real and healthy smile

This is totally normal.

wigglylines Sat 27-Jun-15 18:54:30

^ it's totally normal to think the syptoms have totally gone away when approaching the 12 week scan I mean! Not to imagine the hospital will think you've made your pregnancy up!

I bet if you search this on mumsnet you'll find loads of threads saying the same thing.

Bellabutterfly2014 Sun 28-Jun-15 07:54:31

Hi Shimmering - I'm 18 weeks and was exactly like you - in fact felt fine up until I was 16 weeks when I started feeling very sick and tummy achey.

I went to the early pregnancy unit and was scanned at 6,9,12,14 wks as I've got a history of mc but all is ok - looking forward to my 20 week scan now.

It is a worrying time tho -give the ePu a call and see if you can go for a reassurance scan.

I hope it all goes well for you x

Appleblossom82 Sun 28-Jun-15 08:12:15

No symptoms here other than sore boobies and generally feeling tired in first tri.

22 weeks now and keep waiting for the bad symptoms to kick in (e.g piles, spd, stretchmarks)....it can only be a matter of time right??

ShadowFire Sun 28-Jun-15 08:22:59

No symptoms does not necessarily mean bad news.

DS1 - no symptoms except missing periods and feeling a little bit more tired than normal. There were one or two minor issues (along the lines of needing extra monitoring rather than anything more sinister). Pregnancy went pretty smoothly until he decided to turn up 6 weeks early, but he's now a healthy almost 4 yr old.

DS2 - no symptoms except missing periods, feeling a little more tired than normal (but nothing that couldn't have been blamed on DS1 if I'd not noticed the missing periods) and an improved sense of smell. Healthy pregnancy, and he's now a healthy 22month old.

Both times no symptoms to really speak of until they got big enough for me to feel them kicking. The pregnancies didn't feel properly real until I'd had the scans and seen the babies.

Good luck with your scan.

Shadow1986 Sun 28-Jun-15 08:28:24

I had no symptoms. Went for a private early scan at 10 weeks for reassurance as felt like you do. Turns out I was definitely still pregnant, with TWO babies! I would definitely try to get a private scan to put your mind at rest, but please don't worry as there was a lot going on inside me growing two babies and I had no idea. Some people just escape some of the symptoms.

Topsy34 Sun 28-Jun-15 08:30:43

I hope you are feeling reassured by the other posts?

With my first pregnancy i had no symptoms until 10 weeks, nothing at all. I was in a very physical job and had moved about a ton of stock the week before i found out!!

My second i did a test, which was positive but didnt feel pregnant, had no symptoms and i miscarried at 9 weeks. It was natural and it was over a weekend so i saw my gp on monday, once i got home i passed everything and was scanned on Tuesday.

My third, i had sickness at 5 weeks. Im now 20 weeks in a couple of days and so far so good!

Yes pregnancies do end in miscarriage, but many dont. Try to stay positive, my mw told me if you have no pain and no negative symptoms assume all is well

Frillsandspills Sun 28-Jun-15 13:41:16

This is my first pregnancy and I've had no symptoms. It may not be much help as you're comparing your pregnancy to your previous pregnancies but at my 8 week midwife appointment I spoke to her about my lack of symptoms and she reassured me that I'm just lucky (and my 12 week scan confirmed that). She went on to tell me to never compare to other people's pregnancies and that people should never compare their pregnancy to their own previous pregnancies as each pregnancy is different. Different sperm, different egg, different womb lining.. So you could make yourself crazy trying to compare.

I hope this is of some comfort to you. Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now