Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
Anyone awake? Hypertension / preeclampsia(19 Posts)
Just wondering if anyone is awake as I'm terrified and can't sleep. DH is snoring away bless him and I don't want to disturb him... He's exhausted.
Have been in hospital all day as have high blood pressure, protein in my urine and swollen everything. It's either hypertension or preeclampsia - apparently preeclampsia is likely to develop according to my maternity notes.
I've been allowed home tonight but back in tomorrow to be monitored again and speak to a consultant about birth plans - I'm 39 weeks and baby needs to arrive before 40 weeks.
I'm so scared - I just want my baby to be OK... I'm requesting an elcs as I can't face an induction going on for days with this level of anxiety - I have OCD, GAD and requested an elcs early in pregnancy but was talked out of it in favour of spontaneous labour but I can't face an induction.
I guess it's a good sign that they have let me come home, plus they were checking bloods etc and said they would call me back in if needed and they haven't... Plus they monitored and scanned baby and everything is normal, thank goodness.
I'm just so scared. I feel like I just want them to cut him out so he's safe. I've been in floods if tears all day - DH is an absolute legend but needs to sleep - I can't wake him up after the day we have had.
Not sure if anyone has any words of wisdom or experience - I'm all ears if you do! I'm just so tired but can't drop off to sleep!
Awwww darling, I would think with high BP and protein then they are def thinking pre-eclampsia.
I had it on both pregnancies..
I was often in for daily monitoring then allowed home at night.
Midwife wld also come see me at home.
I had it twice, been induced twice, was honestly fine, checked my cervix, broke waters, labour started.
It's so stressful, also due to the high BP etc felt quite kinda confused, foggy headed.
Try and get some sleep tonight. Xx
Big hugs to you, I know how scary 'consultant talk' is and they way they talk to you.
Use your time constructively, start writing questions.
Things like: could expectant management be an option, what if i decline induction, other than induction what are my options.
Get back in control and get ready to ask questions.
I dont have any words of experience, maybe have a quick you tube search of positive pregnancy affirmations, i use this kind of thing in hyonobirthing and its really helped at times of anxiety
Hope all goes well xx
Being swollen up is so awful as well, I was puffed up like someone inflated me, cld hardly walk.
Keeping feet up helped a wee bit.
for you Hippy. I have GAD with obsessions too, and really feel for you in this situation. Can completely understand why you are beside yourself.
I would feel the same as you about wanting the baby out now, via ELCS, rather than wait for induction. But as you say, it's good they have let you home. They wouldn't have done so if they were worried.
In your position, I would be making a list of questions for the consultant. Things like risks of induction via risks of ELCS. When they are planning to act and why. What timescales are they working. If you really can't face induction then could you ask for ELCS again? This time you have two reasons for wanting one. You could explain that current events have worsened your mental health and while you were persuaded away from ELCS before, circumstances have now changed and so therefore have your needs.
Once you've done that I would really try to get some rest if at all possible (I know that's much easier said than done). Do you do any mindfulness meditation? Any relaxation/hypnosis audits etc? Maybe they might help a little.
Thank you both... It's helping to be able to talk about it and get it off my chest... DH has been amazing but he's making serious Zs now and I feel I should leave him to it! (I'm pretty jealous!)
I feel betterbetter too fannyfifer knowing that you had it as an ongoing condition - I got the impression it was an emergency rather than something that could be managed - I suppose that's because I'm 39 weeks so not long to go anyway!
Thank you too topsy I've been writing out my reasons for wanting the elcs and will add some questions too... I'm just scared they'll bully me into an induction and it'll be so awful I'll never have another baby to avoid repeating the experience!
hello OP. A friend of mine had pretty bad PE with both pregnancies but delivered two healthy, gorgeous girls with each. Her births were natural, quick and relatively uncomplicated. You'll be fine! Now get some sleep
Thank you flumpty I've made a note of your suggestions - really helpful thank you.
I'll keep working on it so I feel confident in the morning when I see the consultant although I'm pretty sure I'll just cry everywhere and poor DH will have to do the talking!
I might try to get some sleep again - thank you all so much xx
I managed to get a few hours... Still knackered though! I need to get more sleep before my baby arrives that's for sure!
I'm trying to feel a bit more positive today - it's just such a shock when everything had been going so well and then it all went wrong in one day.
I just want my baby now... I think about him all of the time anyway but now I can't stop monitoring every movement and thinking is it stronger or weaker than normal? Is he ok?
I just hope that the consultant I see today is a little more helpful and understanding than the doctor I saw yesterday.
She told me I would be booked in for induction and when I said I would prefer an ELCS she asked me why and then just talked over my answer...
I guess she referred me to the consultant which was good and I'm sure she was really busy and didn't have much time but I felt that she was not listening to me and she really upset me.
She put on my notes that there is no medical need for an elcs and physically there might not be but mentally there certainly is a need for it - or at least a discussion about it...
Fingers crossed it goes OK today with the consultant. If I have to have the induction I have to have it - I'll just concentrate on getting my baby out and go to another hospital if I ever decide to have another baby.
Good luck Hippymama. Remember its your body and you make the decisions, although obviously the consultant's opinion is extremely important too, what I'm saying is make sure you're comfortable with decisions.
I had it from 32 weeks and was finally induced at 38 weeks(spent the whole time in hospital) when i got protein in my urine. Ds is a gorgeous 6ft 19 year old off to uni in September.
Hippy ELCS for mental health reasons IS a medical need. However not all medical professionals outside of psychiatry are particularly clued up about MH or indeed interested (as you have found out). You may need to push and ask to see a second consultant if necessary, if an ELCS is what you want. Trauma around the birth will likely not be good for your MH in the post birth period. There have been studies done showing post natal depression is much higher among women who did not get their choice of birth. Not trying to scare you, just trying to help if at all possible!
Saw doctors and midwife today - it's not PE - just high blood pressure. ATM they seem to be supportive of my wishes to have an elcs if is comes to it and I am back in next week for further monitoring and discussion about what happens next... Feel so much better now. So tired though!
Thank you all so much for your advice and support!
Great news! Let us know how you get on next week.
Will do - thank you all so much...
It's given me a real fright but I am looking at the positives - aside from being on mat leave I have been charging around like a non-pregnant person really, not like someone who is 39 weeks pregnant and I think it is my body telling me it is time to put my humungous swollen feet up and have a bit of a rest for the remaining days until baby arrives! Hopefully he won't be long now.
Just a little update - saw lovely consultant today who was really understanding and supportive and has agreed I can have an ELCS if the baby hasn't come in the next week or so. Phew!
BP is currently stable so I am keeping everything crossed that it stays that way and the baby will just turn up before the ELCS date of his own accord... Fingers crossed!
Thanks again all for your help and support... I had all of my questions etc written down and all of my reasons as you all suggested... Was so helpful.
That's great! Fingers crossed MiniHippy will be here very soon.
Good news indeed! Hope the small one turns up soon
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.