Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How would I know if my waters are leaking?

(13 Posts)
RockerMummy184 Thu 25-Jun-15 15:10:41

I posted earlier about not being able to control my bladder today, but was wondering how I would know for sure if it is actually just wee or my waters that are leaking.
I've just been to the loo and checked my pad and it's a sort of pinky colour, rather than the yellowy you'd expect. Dont have a uti. Urine was dipped yesterday at mw app and also had a sample sent off a week ago with nothing unudual detected. Can't smell it coz the tena pads I'm using are odor neutralising so it smells of nothing.
Any idea?

happygojo Thu 25-Jun-15 15:23:40

I have no experience of this, but if you have a maternity pad, I would stick that on (maternity pads don't effect the colour or odour meaning things can be detected). Have you eaten a lot a beetroot? As always, if in doubt, get checked out. But if you have a maternity pad to hand I would put it on so that a MW can have a look (grim i know!)

Ficidy Thu 25-Jun-15 15:25:16

If it was your waters, there would be a constant leak, not just every once in a while. I've had issues with bladder control on this pregnancy, so you have my sympathies. How many weeks are you?

RockerMummy184 Thu 25-Jun-15 15:26:30

I don't have a maternity pad and haven't eaten beetroot in about 3 years.
I'm sure it's nothing and I'm just getting myself worked up. I can't get an app to see my mw again for 5 weeks so hoping it'll stop soon so I don't need to worry.

booksandchoc Thu 25-Jun-15 15:26:53

When my waters started leaking it's had quite a sticky thick viscosity and smelled really sweet. But if in doubt, get it checked. Your maternity unit can do a really quick swab and check if it is amniotic fluid.

RockerMummy184 Thu 25-Jun-15 15:27:32

It's leaking constantly and the I get a bigger gush when I cough/sneeze/laugh etc. I'm 23w with twins.

SunbathingCat Thu 25-Jun-15 15:28:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MagnesiaFountain Thu 25-Jun-15 15:31:16

This happened to me. It wasn't constant, I thought it was wee too. I don't mean to alarm you, I was only 26 weeks and went into a labour a few days after it started. I wouldn't wait to get checked if I were you, go ASAP. Even if it's nothing, at least your mind will be at ease. Good luck.

TwitchyTail2 Thu 25-Jun-15 15:32:31

Please get it checked. Maternity units can do a swab, and they can also examine you with a (sterile) speculum to see if there appears to be a leak. If there are concerns they may do a scan to check if there is reduced fluid around the baby.

It will not necessarily be a constant leak. I had a hindwater leak at 35.5 weeks and it was just an occasional bit of fluid every couple of hours, usually when I changed position. It was clear/very light pink and didn't smell of anything. A few days later my waters broke properly and I had DS a few hours after that. Not meaning to scare but please don't ignore it.

TwitchyTail2 Thu 25-Jun-15 15:35:02

PS a leak does not necessarily mean labour is imminent, but action will be needed - usually antibiotics, monitoring, advice on what to avoid (baths, sex, anything that can increase infection risk).

RockerMummy184 Thu 25-Jun-15 15:59:19

Thanks ladies. Spoke to the assessment unit who asked me to confirm 100% that I'm not just wetting myself which obviously I can't do, so they've asked me to go in and get seen.
Fingers crossed I'll be leaving throughly embarrassed that I've made a fuss about being a pissy pants nothing.

Bogwoppit22 Thu 25-Jun-15 19:04:30

Make sure they do an Actimprom test, to confirm it's your waters and not incontinence. Do NOT accept that you have been incontinent without this test.

I awoke at 2am on Sunday 14th/Monday 15th just gone to the thought of "oh my god I've just wet myself" and dashed to the bathroom. My undercrakers were sodden. I thought "waters broken or wee?" and called the big local hospital. They asked me to go in at 8am the next day, did a check with a speculum and were looking for pools of amniotic fluid. Didn't find any and decided I had indeed wet myself, or perhaps it was discharge. This was despite me telling them it didn't smell like wee. But they're the professionals, so I accepted their diagnosis and I went home. I spent the rest of the day feeling a little unconvinced, but had no proof to the contrary. I went to bed at 10pm Monday night, and awoke at midnight to go to the loo, upon standing I managed to soak through a pair of knickers again, I went back to bed got up at 2am for a wee and got through yet another pair. At this point I decided there's no way I'd p!ssed myself 3 times in one day, so I called my smaller local hospital this time and they called me in. 4am Tuesday 16th, and the smaller local hospital do an Actim-PROM test, confirm IT IS amniotic fluid (from my hind waters), and since I was Group B Strep positive and I had experienced a PROM more than 24hrs previously, I was admitted for emergency induction with full antibiotics. My daughter was born at 37w at 10:46am on Wednesday 17th! So the take home message is Actim-PROM and trust your instincts. Good luck! :-)

RaaRaaTheLion Thu 25-Jun-15 19:07:05

Good luck OP, hope all is well and that they see you quickly flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now