Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What did you wear

(34 Posts)
ThreeBeanRap Mon 22-Jun-15 14:51:41

To give birth in?

Saw an ad for a 'birthing shirt' the other day, not buying one as it was £40 for something I presumably will never wear again. But what did you wear/are you planning to wear?

I do realise it's not a fashion show - I am just curious!!

Poledra Mon 22-Jun-15 15:01:19

A mahoosive ol' pregnancy nightshirt. Which I had worn as a nightie throughout my pregnanacy. And which was a hand-me-down from my big sis grin. I was not buying something new to wear when it was probably going to get ruined.

Though I actually gave birth in the rudey-nudey 2 out of 3 times because it was just more comfortable grin

ThreeBeanRap Mon 22-Jun-15 15:21:35

Poledra in the nude! blush grin I guess that may end up happening as the most comfy option.

Did you go to the hospital in your nightie or get changed there?!

bananapuddles Mon 22-Jun-15 15:24:50

I was also naked - had a water birth at home. I'd planned to wear a sports bra or bikini top but in the end I was so desperate to get in the pool I just ripped my nightie off and got in. Looking back, I wish I had put something on because all of the first photos of DS and I have nipple on show. Fine for me and DH to look at, probably not something to share though.

LoveLetters Mon 22-Jun-15 15:36:12

Big white T shirt. Used same one for both kids and now wit my third will be using it again for good luck smile

OhEmGeee Mon 22-Jun-15 15:40:02

First DC I was totally naked (in the pool and bath) and I couldn't have given a flying **! grin

Second DC I was wearing my clothes and just took my leggings off.

I really didn't care, there is no dignity!

Betsyblue Mon 22-Jun-15 15:42:20

Just a big cheap nightie from Primark- it went straight in the bin afterwards as it was totally unsalvageable!

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 22-Jun-15 15:43:58

My friend bought me 2 night dresses for labour so I wore one of them to keep some dignity but once I was pushing I didn't give a flying hoot who saw what

Archer26 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:45:32

A big cotton nightie. --which I may have put on a very hot wash after and now wear to bed as it's the only thing that fits--hmm

spillyobeans Mon 22-Jun-15 15:45:33

Watching with interest as im due any day now! Ive just packed one of dhs old big tshirts, and a stretchy sleep bra, have a nighty and dtessing gown for after and a going home outfit

WishUponAStar88 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:46:34

I wore a nightdress but tbh it did nothing to preserve and dignity as was up under my armpits by the end I think! Honestly couldn't care less by that point though ...

ChazzerChaser Mon 22-Jun-15 15:48:09

Nothing here too.

slippermaiden Mon 22-Jun-15 15:48:15

A big t shirt!

GobblersKnob Mon 22-Jun-15 15:50:24

Huge tee shirt for early stages, but naked for birth both times.

TotallyAnonymousUsername Mon 22-Jun-15 15:50:29

Also naked here. I took in an oversized nightie though. It's just that once I was in labour I HAD to take it off. The midwife tried a few times to cover me with a sheet but I kept throwing that off too. She soon gave up blush

Topsy34 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:52:21

I had ds at home in water, and had intended to be naked but got in with a vest top on and just kept it on.

I personally think you could spend £40 on something much nicer than a nightie.

Knottyknitter Mon 22-Jun-15 15:55:33

Maternity pjs initially, when contracting merrily on the beanbag etc, then bright pink m&s crop top style sports bra when I was in the pool. In theatre the bra was partiallyy cut off and a hospital gown shoved over it. The pink dye ran everywhere so there as a complete outline of my Boobs on the (now soggy) gown. It was a bit of a rush at the end!

RugBugs Mon 22-Jun-15 15:57:06

First time I gave birth in the Grandad style top I wandered in wearing, thankfully it was Navy!
Second I was in the bath but bizarrely left my manky old maternity bra on. Due in a few weeks and hopefully I'll manage a bikini top this time.

Poledra Mon 22-Jun-15 15:58:47

I went to the hospital in my clothes, and got changed there. I find maternity hospitals rather warm, and two of my births were in the winter so I was rather overdressed for the temperature in the labour suite.

originalusernamefail Mon 22-Jun-15 16:01:41

A crop top style soft bra in the pool. I had bought a men's xxl primark t-shirt but I forgot about it blush. The midwives did provide a dressing gown for the walk between the MLU and CLU thank goodness.

ThatsNotEvenAWord Mon 22-Jun-15 16:08:35

Had a maternity tankini top for the pool but then had to be transferred to the delivery suite so put on a nightie for when I was wheeled down and gave birth in that. It went in the bin!

MissTwister Mon 22-Jun-15 16:11:26

I've bought a night dress from Mothercare. If I get in pool I imagined I'd just go naked! Is this normal?

ThreeBeanRap Mon 22-Jun-15 16:53:18

Oh yes forgot about pool options. That would be easier in a way I imagine, for some reason I feel more okay about being naked in water. Or just whacking a bikini top on.

Ideally I'd like to wear SOMETHING although I appreciate I may not give a shit when it's actually happening. Huge old t-shirt seems to be the way to go, or vest top. I'm due in winter so will probably have to wear proper clothes to hospital!

berrypicking Mon 22-Jun-15 16:53:55

I purchased a thing called a Gownie from amazon by a company called The Pretty Company. It's basically a really cute hospital gown and was so practical! I got the pink spotty one. it has poppers at the back in case you have an epidural and poppers at the front for easy skin to skin/breastfeeding access straight after birth. I washed it and will be using it again for giving birth this time too. highly recommend.

Leaflitter Mon 22-Jun-15 16:57:59

T shirt for land births, nothing for water births. My last one came so quickly, DH had to take my trousers off or she'd have been born in there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now