Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Family meal problem

(16 Posts)
Starfish25 Fri 19-Jun-15 13:13:29

I've got a family meal tonight and the problem is their expecting me to drink, im not a big drinker just a social one and they don't know im pregnant... And its table service so not like I can sneak over the bar an ask for a diet coke. I can't even stomach hot food at the minute I think I'm going to get rumbled. Any one with any sneaky tips I could use? Thanks for any help x

eurochick Fri 19-Jun-15 13:15:21

I had a work dinner in my first tri. I accepted a glass of wine and put it to my lips a few times. No one noticed! I also somehow managed to choke down some chicken when all meat absolutely repulsed me.

newbian Fri 19-Jun-15 13:17:19

Get a glass, pretend to sip and if you have a partner trade glasses with him so yours looks like it's being drunk.

But if it's family is it really so bad if they guess? Some will. My mum has a pregnancy-radar, she is always right from 7-8 weeks!

Heels99 Fri 19-Jun-15 13:17:39

Drive
But if you really can't eat hot food I wouldn't go.

Starfish25 Fri 19-Jun-15 13:27:11

I have to go it's my boyfriends opening night at the restaurant so he will be working so I can't swap drinks with him.

It's not really a bad thing if they do guess I just don't want them knowing till I've had a scan due to me mc in Feb I don't want to upset them again if I mc again.

I don't know what im going to do sad

Selks Fri 19-Jun-15 13:28:20

Tell them you are on anti-biotics (thus can't drink). Congratulations, by the way!

Glindathegoodwitch Fri 19-Jun-15 13:54:55

If it's your boyfriends opening night, can he not ask the staff to serve you only soft drinks even when you ask for a 'vodka and' coke?

Bobian123 Fri 19-Jun-15 14:02:08

Congratulations! I can understand why you'd want to be a bit cautious. I agree with pp who said just order an alcoholic drink and touch it to your lips. Then you can get up with your glass, pop off to see boyfriend and discretely dispose of it?!

Glindathegoodwitch Fri 19-Jun-15 14:02:32

Oh and with the food, I find that I am constantly thinking about food as in 'what can I have that won't make me feel sick?' then I fixate on chosen food, which I really fancy until it lands in front of me, at which point, I have thought about it until the point of sickness. Let the menu land in front of you, pick the most appetising to you at that moment. If it's a salad, tell them you're boss took you out to lunch and you are still stuffed!!

Heels99 Fri 19-Jun-15 14:42:39

Can't you drive?

coneywonder Fri 19-Jun-15 15:51:47

I always just said I didn't fancy a drink...and if they hinted I was pregnant I laughed it off or told them to stop being silly.

LemonYellowSun Fri 19-Jun-15 15:55:49

Anti-biotics or driving. Even if they might suspect

Elysianfields Fri 19-Jun-15 16:01:03

Hangover from hell? You just can't face food, and as for alcohol you will never ever drink again? We have all said that I am sure! You can then legitimately drink loads of water. Might be more believable that antib's.

LumpyCustard69 Fri 19-Jun-15 16:06:35

You could always just say you're not feeling 100%??? Stomach ache? Migraine?
If you have to go because it's your fella's night, then you'd still go if you didn't feel well, and no one could blame you for eating salad and not drinking.........

goodasitgets Fri 19-Jun-15 16:07:44

Ugh I'm so hungover, and thirsty! I'll have a water/lemonade to start wink

MummyPiggy87 Fri 19-Jun-15 16:10:25

If you don't mind giving too much info (or if they ask whys your not drinking) just say you've got a urine infection and are on antibiotics, they can't really question it. Lots of people get them and they're not gonna know your lying wine x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now