Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Blighted ovum? Empty sac at 6+2. Please help!

(5 Posts)
Bluebell1403 Thu 18-Jun-15 21:58:36

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice, not necessarily for reassurance, though that would be nice of course. But I really want honesty so I can get my head around what's happening.

So here's what's happened so far: I got sent to the EPAC at 4+1weeks as I had severe right side abdominal pain, had a scan which didn't rule out ectopic and beta HCG tests which tripled twice (107 to 325 then to 1078). Was told to come back for another scan at 5+1. There was an empty sac of 6mm, they said they couldn't rule out ectopic still and made an appt for another scan at 6+2. That was yesterday, and all they saw was a 16mm gestational sac, no yolk sac or foetal pole or anything. The EPAC said they thought missed miscarriage was most likely but until the empty sac is 25mm they can't say for sure. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Inevitably I've been googling and found some happy ending but many seem to involve a retroverted uterus and mine is anteverted. I'm not sure why being tilted one way rather than the other would make a difference though, does anyone know?

I'm not optimistic but would appreciate any input. I just don't know what to think or feel at the moment.

Thanks in advance

DefinitelyNotElsa Fri 19-Jun-15 06:37:38

I had a similar experience and had a positive outcome (am currently 25+5).

I had an early scan at the EPU due to cramping at around 6+2. All that could be seen was an empty gestational sac, measuring 23mm. We were warned it was most probably a MMC, but as it was under 25mm, I needed to wait a week and be rescanned. At the rescan, everything was fully formed - heartbeat, fetal pole and yolk sac.

There wasn't really an explanation as to why it had happened like that - the EPU suggested it was probably just late development.

My pregnancy has continued normally since then, and the cramping eventually stopped around 8 weeks.

happygojo Fri 19-Jun-15 07:06:56

On the flip side, I have had a blighted ovum. It was discovered at 8 weeks and mine was 25mm so it was confirmed that same day. The limbo must be horrible. Hopefully you will find out one way or the other. I had medical management for mine and I fell pg the first month of TTC post MC (6-8 weeks later) and I am now 32 weeks.

IF it is blighted ovum, my gynae told me it is one of the most common miscarriages but also not likely to reoccur. It just means something wasn't right very early on either with the sperm or egg (usually chromosomal). Nothing you or your partner did, it is just nature and happens sometimes.

Whatever your outcome I wish you all the luck in the world. You will be ok. Just let yourself feel however you feel xxxx

Bluebell1403 Fri 19-Jun-15 15:32:43

Thank you both so much, I really appreciate it- it's hard not being able to talk about it with anyone apart from my husband, on top of everything.

DefinitelyNotElsa, that's incredible, thank you so much for sharing your story! Congratulations on that wonderful outcome. It's amazing that that can happen...but the more cynical part of me wonders if the first scan just wasn't performed very skilfully or something. Probably just wishful thinking as our sonographer on Wednesday seemed to struggle to find the sac let alone any contents! It's a crazily personal question and I hope you don't mind me asking but do you know if your uterus is retroverted or anteverted? I've read that retroverted can make it difficult to see anything early on so am wondering if anteverted does too. Sorry for asking such an intrusive question, please feel free to tell me to do a running jump!

Happygojo, thank you so much for your input too, it's really helping me not to let my (probably highly unrealistic) hopes run away with me! And huge congratulations, it's so so good to hear you managed to conceive so soon, that's something that really worries me- will we be lucky again. So I really appreciate the silver lining! And you hit the nail on the head both in terms of me trying to find a reason for this, even though rationally I know there isn't one, and trying to avoid feeling it too much, so that's incredibly helpful. Can't thank you enough!!

Bluebell1403 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:51:15

Also, DefinitelyNotElsa, if you don't mind me asking, at 6 weeks was it an internal scan you had?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now