Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What did you buy second time round?

(20 Posts)
hope123x Mon 15-Jun-15 21:54:43

Pregnant with number two and found out we're having another boy smile so thinking we probably won't need to buy that much stuff? Anyone who has two (or more!) of the same gender did you buy anything new second time round or use everything again? There will be 2 years between them so I'm thinking we will use most stuff again but then would like some new baby stuff too smile

Will miss not going baby shopping for all the exciting things even though it should be much cheaper preparing for baby second time round

ThunderboltKid Mon 15-Jun-15 21:56:28

First time round we took everyone's advice and borrowed most things or bought them second hand, but now we've either had to return them, or they are so worn they won't last another time, so I've got to buy pretty much everything! (Which I'm secretly looking forward to grin)

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 15-Jun-15 21:58:40

Similar to Thunder. We borrowed a lot first time which we gave back and is now being used by other babies so have had to buy quite a lot! I'm expecting my second girl and on top of the stuff I've had to replace I've bought a few vests/baby grows and some rompers as this is a summer baby and DD was a winter baby.

ExitStageLeft Mon 15-Jun-15 21:59:49

A sling and a new pack of muslins! That was it!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 15-Jun-15 22:00:38

Same as Thunder we borrowed loads of stuff so need to go shopping. A lot of it is pretty boring though - it's hard to get excited about a car seat and steriliser grin
I am getting a few clothes too, a lot got pooed on and chucked!

Whatabout Mon 15-Jun-15 22:01:12

One new outfit, some new bottles and selling buggy to buy a better one for two.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 15-Jun-15 22:01:21

Oh and double buggy hell...

elvislives2012 Mon 15-Jun-15 22:02:39

They shared a lot of stuff but I did get a new going home outfit. T hunk that was about it for a while. As they were born in different seasons, it means that not everything could be shared as they got older. All the equipment etc was reused tho

hope123x Mon 15-Jun-15 22:04:30

Yes haven't quite thought what to do with the pram.. Wanting to reuse the one we have and add a buggy bored to it...wishful thinking??

I loved shopping for the first, although choosing things like car seats and adapters to fit the pram did stress me out a tad!

BikeRunSki Mon 15-Jun-15 22:08:37

I think every baby deserves his (or her) own new blanket.

There is almost exactly 3 years between my DC - a DS and a DD-. All my baby clothes etc were the right season etc so that is pretty much what dd wore (I also know a boy who wore his older sister's pink stuff for the first few months of his life). I did buy her some of her own baby grows, but only because I'd thrown out so many stained ones we were a bit short.

willbillycome Mon 15-Jun-15 22:12:41

In my experience hoping to just add a buggy board is wishful thinking. In the early days (25 months between my 2)I had double pram, with buggy board attatched, and a sling to cover all awkward little angel eventualities. Now I still wouldn't give up my double as it's great on days out when 2 need to snooze at once, or I evict older child from seat to store picnic bag!

willbillycome Mon 15-Jun-15 22:16:43

bikerunski I was convinced dc2 was of the pink variety like his sister, so he spent his first few months in pink. Friends and family donated 'boy clothes' to him or he still would be!

LovelyWeatherForDucks Tue 16-Jun-15 21:36:47

DS2 due here soon! I'm reusing lots but also:
Invested in a new sling
Bought a bedside cot and sleepyhead in the hope this one sleeps!
Bought some new first outfits / first blanket
New bottles/teats in case we need them
New breastfeeding bras / hospital nightwear etc

Need to sort out buggy arrangements soon too!

Momzilla82 Tue 16-Jun-15 21:41:10

I bought a new cot- that fitted by bed and grew- as DS1 outgrew Moses basket when teeny tiny which meant he was moved out before I was ready.

A new bassinet thing for the pram that I couldn't justify on top of the cost of the pram first time around.

A new sling.

A few nice baby clothes- we reused everything from our first- but it was nice to have a bag of things that were just his to use for the first few weeks. Figured it would make it easier when I'm old and senile to tell them apart on baby photos.

I'm jealous of the baby snuggles. Feeling broody!!

youlemming Tue 16-Jun-15 22:00:20

DD1 is 5 and I'm now 33 wks with another girl, have got a few new bits of clothing mainly the basic new born body suits and baby grows as the original lot didn't really survive well (either greying or stains not visable back then have appeared).
Also got a few little bits of clothes as it's nice to have some new and new muslins.
All the big bits we will use again, have got a new wrap type sling as the one we had wasn't very useful until DD1 was bigger.
Replacement teats for the bottles and a new breast pump as after 5 yrs we thought it was worth getting new as we didn't have any other high value things to get.

Christelle2207 Tue 16-Jun-15 22:06:01

We had 2 sons 21 months apart
In order of expensiveness we bought for the arrival of DS2

1 newborn outfit (£)
Rumble seat for uppababy vista (££)
New estate car (£££)
Extension for house (£££££££££££!)

Hophop987 Wed 17-Jun-15 06:13:47

I bought new mattress for bednest,couple babygrows,changing mat and i think that's about it!

Dogsmom Wed 17-Jun-15 08:13:11

I've recently had dd2 and didn't buy anything other than nappies, I must admit though I did like having a few new clothes for her that were gifts, yes I didn't need them but it felt nice having something new that was just for her and not a hand me down.

On the flip side I've also enjoyed getting dd1s clothes out of the loft and being able to reuse some of the lovely dresses that I'd been disappointed no longer fit dd1.

They're almost exactly 2 years apart so all the clothes should fit at the right time of year.

Pram wise we've just added a buggy board.

perfectlybroken Wed 17-Jun-15 08:19:11

A buggy board and a new sling, the latter was a luxury as I already had one but its been very well used. I would also recommend a play pen with a base you can alter the height of. I had this already from ds1 but found it very useful to have somewhere safe to put ds2 as toddlers are not quite as baby aware as we might like! When he was tiny I had the base at waist height and ds2 could sleep in there.

Alanna1 Wed 17-Jun-15 08:22:41

Buggy board
double buggy
second stokke chair with newborn seat.
A few items of clothes as and when needed because of different season / wear and tear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now