Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had a sweep before?

(13 Posts)
Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 15-Jun-15 08:29:05

was just wondering what it's like to have a sweep? I'm currently full term and midwife said about a sweep at my next appt.
what happens with a sweep? Are they painful and do you have to have one? Are they worth having if baby isn't ready to come yet ? Not sure what I think really, seems pointless if cervix is still closed, part of me thinks wouldn't it be better to wait for baby to make its own way out if not too over due ?
Any advice or experiences would be much appreciated.

LouisaJF Mon 15-Jun-15 08:39:46

I had a sweep with my first and labour started later that day.

You don't have to have one if you don't want to. It doesn't hurt, it's just a bit uncomfortable. A smear test is worse.

NomiMalone Mon 15-Jun-15 08:43:12

I had one with DC1 and two with DC2.

They did absolutely nothing apart from hury like buggery and get my hopes unfairly up.

Babies don't come till they're ready.

applecore0317 Mon 15-Jun-15 08:44:27

I had two in total. One before term and one on my due date. It completely depends on how far down the baby's head is and where your cervix is sitting.

My babies head was engages but cervix was quite far back so I had to put me hands under my bottom so that the midwife could do the sweep. I made sure I chatted to the midwife throughout, which helped me to relax and made it nothing more than uncomfortable. My cervix was soft, short and already slightly dilated and she was able to stretch it to 3cm. It caused me to have a show and I went into labour five days later.

PandaMummyofOne Mon 15-Jun-15 08:48:16

I had one with DS not painful just a little uncomfortable.

12 hours later I was in labour. Good luck.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 15-Jun-15 08:48:42

Okay so really it would be pointless to refuse one as can bring on labour? I don't know why but I'm scared to have it done! Haha! Can't be any worse than labour, and I've always been fine with smears, don't know why I'm so nervous about having one!

gallicgirl Mon 15-Jun-15 08:55:07

I had one at 41 weeks with 1st baby. I was already 3cm dilated and went into labour about 12 hours later.

I refused with 2nd baby as mw wouldn't doa Bishops score to see how ready my cervix was. I ccouldn't see the point of the sweep if we didn't know if my body would be responsive. Baby arrived at 40+6.

You don't have to have anything you don't consent to so if you don't want a sweep then don't have it. It'll only bring on labour if your body is almost there anyway.

PlumFairy2014 Mon 15-Jun-15 09:02:44

I had a sweep at 41+, as I was getting close to the induction date. It was just uncomfortable, if you're ok with a smear you will be fine with a sweep!
I had a show and went into labour the next day.

lunalovegood84 Mon 15-Jun-15 11:35:41

I declined them all. I got an unconsented sweep during the first stage of my induction process and it was painful and violating. I understand some posters here have more positive experiences but I think it's important to here both sides. You don't have to have one if you don't want it. I believe the statistic is that for every 8 women given sweeps, only one will work. Not good odds IMO.

Teeste Mon 15-Jun-15 12:08:04

I just had one on Thursday (39 weeks, unfavourable cervix), which resulted in a bunch of Braxton Hicks and nowt else. I had heard all the stories about how painful it would be, but ended up saying 'was that it?'. Smears are way worse, it seems the speculum is (for me) the bit that hurts. I'm due another one tomorrow and quite happy to have it done.

Totally agree with pps though, if you don't want one, don't have one. It's no guarantee of labour, especially if you're not ready. You can ask them to give you your Bishop score - sweeps are only likely to work above a score of 8 or 9 (I think - mine was 4). They will need to examine you to tell you that though. Good luck!

Findingthisdifficult1234 Mon 15-Jun-15 18:53:15

Oh okay, thankyou for the bishops score, I'd never heard of it, I think I'll ask her to determine this and then take it from there. I don't really want to be poked and prodded if baby isn't ready, I'm in no rush for labour, would rather baba come when they naturally are due. As when I had my first dating scan they put me forward a week but I'd been calculating ovulation etc so I think I'm due a week later than they are saying anyway.
Thanks a lot for everyone's comments x

LoveLetters Mon 15-Jun-15 20:10:24

Had sweeps with my first. Had about 6 in one day... Did nothing. Had one during induction which was so painful nearly blew my head off. Depends who does it I guess.
Refused all sweeps with my second and gave birth naturally with no problems.

DrJacoby Mon 15-Jun-15 20:15:06

They are pointless and unproven, aren't they? I had one with my first baby, did nothing, except cause awful pain and some bleeding. Baby was born 10 days later by c section.

Refused for second baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now