Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight neutrality

(13 Posts)
Hummingbird15 Sun 14-Jun-15 16:01:37

When I saw the midwife for my booking appointment at 11 weeks, my BMI came in at just under 36. Whilst she was really nice about it, she did have to give me a booklet about being overweight and pregnant, and also mentioned 'weight neutrality' to me. The idea being that you don't aim to lose weight, but you aim to be the same weight at the end of your pregnancy as at the start... does anyone know any more about this??

I can't work it out, because surely it would mean that in the second trimester I'd need to be aiming to actually lose around a stone in order to allow the baby to grow and get lots heavier in 3rd Trimester??

Any thoughts anyone?

It's all a bit annoying as if I'd had my booking appointment earlier and hadn't worn jeans, I reckon I'd have come in just under 35 on my bmi but nevermind!

dementedpixie Sun 14-Jun-15 16:10:49

I went by the 123 rule :
If you are overweight aim for 1 stone weight gain
If you are normal weight aim for 2 stone
If you are underweight aim for 3 stone

chasingtherainbow Sun 14-Jun-15 16:12:46

My bmi is 33 and I was given the same talk as you, anything over 29 and you get the booklet etc.

The idea is you eat as healthily as possible and exercise regularly, and you'll have minimal gain, or you'll see no gain at all- and find you're in for a loss after birth as you've gotten healthier/lost weight and babies gotten bigger.

Am 18wks and no gain. X

Hummingbird15 Sun 14-Jun-15 16:13:45

Thanks Pixie, it's just that the midwife actually suggested I should aim for no gain, and I don't see how that would be possible unless at some point I am actively trying to lose some weight...

Hummingbird15 Sun 14-Jun-15 16:14:44

Thanks Chasing... think I just need to concentrate on eating healthier now and stop worrying about what might happen in a another 3 months time!

ragged Sun 14-Jun-15 16:18:03

Friend did this, she only gained about 1 stone in pregnancy (only in 3rd trimester) and weight fell off her like crazy after birth. Big bonny baby, all worked well for her.

hugoagogo Sun 14-Jun-15 16:25:26

The baby is part of you.

I would do as the midwife suggests and aim to maintain your weight, but obviously don't worry too much if you do put some on.

Don't forget you will actually need more calories than usual, so you won't need to eat less.

I was overweight before I got pregnant, put about a stone each time and ended up roughly 2 stone lighter after giving birth. I certainly didn't starve myself.

I know it sounds as bit worrying, but babies don't need that much extra and what they need they take, it will be just you that gets smaller.

Skiptonlass Sun 14-Jun-15 16:27:10

I think it's more important to concentrate on a healthy diet and excercise than to look only at the scales.

Eat a really good diet, do whatever excercise you feel works but isn't pushing it too much... That will stand you in good stead through pregnancy and beyond and if you do that I don't think you need to worry if you gain a little, or lose a little.

ragged Sun 14-Jun-15 16:28:46

Having any sort of diet (food intake) was an achievement for me in 1st trimester. grimace & grin

chasingtherainbow Sun 14-Jun-15 16:29:32

I know it all feels a bit overwhelming. I'm not starving or depriving myself (much of my no gain stems from morning sickness up until recent!) But I'm knuckling down now and making concious decisions to make good choices but I tell myself 'no pressure!' I'm pregnant after all. I find now I have thst motivation to eat well because of baby, and I really really don't want to be heavier than my pre pregnancy weight after birth (or for long after..) when I have my baby and 4yo dd to think of.

Wishing you a lovely smooth ride and the best of luck.

Hummingbird15 Sun 14-Jun-15 16:49:53

Thanks everyone, just need to get a bit of focus starting tomorrow (after tonight's roast dinner!).

That makes me sound terrible, I am still nearly a stone and a half lighter than I was at new year, so I have been being pretty healthy, but a few pounds have crept on since bfp and I need to try and stop the mentality of eating rubbish and thinking it doesn't matter because I'm pregnant!

MissTwister Sun 14-Jun-15 16:57:18

If you're anything like me cutting out the wine seems to have knocked some of the weight off!

Someone of normal weight should put on about 22-26lbs and I've put on around 13lbs at 34 weeks and not much more seems to be adding to this - and I certainly haven't been watching what I eat.

contractor6 Sun 14-Jun-15 17:44:37

26 and am same weight as pre pregnancy, BUT this is due to morning sickness. Not sure weight neutrality is possible without that or dieting. And despite being overweight prior to pregnancy bmi - 32 I was worried not putting enough on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now