Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Topical Peppermint Oil

(4 Posts)
BleachedBarnet Wed 10-Jun-15 14:29:32

Hi all, I've been doing some googling but I can't seem to find anything definitive so thought I'd ask here.

I'm 18 weeks and currently suffering with a bad lower back, as is commonly the case! My lovely friend has given me a soothing roll-on for it but it's 25% peppermint oil so I'm not sure how safe it is to use.

Most of what I can find is about ingesting peppermint oil capsules rather than using it topically - so is it safe?

Thanks

Topsy34 Wed 10-Jun-15 15:50:51

I have had a look and its conflicting.

Most seem to sa that it needs to be diluted in carrier oil, but not with a ratio stated. And a few sites say it's generally safe, but not toward of pregnancy as it decreases milk supply

BleachedBarnet Wed 10-Jun-15 16:05:16

Thanks Topsy, yep that's all I could find too! I think I'll probably err on the side of caution for now, but should anyone have had 5 safe pregnancies slathering themselves in peppermint oil, do pipe up grin

lauraa4 Wed 10-Jun-15 17:49:10

I had been using tiger balm for a trapped nerve and there wasn't much research on the Internet to say it's safe or not. This was almost two weeks ago and I seem to be fine. I'm guessing it's sort of a similar thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now