Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First pregnancy, type 1 diabetic, clomid baby - help?

(7 Posts)
AbFab86 Wed 10-Jun-15 08:34:37

I got my first BFP a couple of days ago after taking clomid. I have an appointment with a great obstetrician in what will hopefully be week 7. I have had type 1 diabetes for over 20 years.

I'm just wondering if I should have booked the appointment for earlier? I know there's not really much time between now and week 7 (3 weeks today actually), but would a week 6 appointment be useless? It's all private healthcare where I am so I assume I'll get a TV scan (anything to add to the bill!). I'm wondering whether I should go at 6 weeks and know sooner if anything is wrong in terms of the sac developing, or whether nothing would be visible at 6 weeks and I'd be better going at 7.

Anyone got any advice?

OttersPocket Wed 10-Jun-15 15:18:17

Hello and congratulations!

I'm also a veteran Type 1 diabetic who conceived after three years (and multiple miscarriages) of fertility treatment.

I don't really see what the benefit of a scan a week earlier would be? I had a scan at 7 weeks simply because I conceived due to fertility treatment and was told that there was no benefit to having one earlier. I then had a scan at 8 weeks which was the early viability scan offered to all type 1 diabetics and nothing to do with having conceived due to fertility treatment!

A six week scan will not show much if anything, and may also cause more anxiety as often a re-scan will be required. Hold off until 7 weeks (difficult I know, you can do it!), as that way you'll get a much better indication of whether the pregnancy is viable or not. Best of luck, I've been there and know how stressful it is. But I'm 29 weeks now so it can all be okay smile

AbFab86 Wed 10-Jun-15 16:19:18

That's great, thank you! If nothing much can be seen before 7 weeks then I won't go. I'm going to see my endocrinologist earlier just to see what I need to be doing. Did you notice your BMs went up in the first trimester at all?

OttersPocket Wed 10-Jun-15 17:23:17

My BMs went up slightly around 4-5 weeks then went down considerably in the first tri. Unfortunately it seems to greatly differ between diabetics so you just need to test, test, test (I've been testing every 1-2 hours all pregnancy) and act on readings immediately. It's tough but it will be worth it (and repeat!)

SpottyTeacakes Wed 10-Jun-15 17:29:45

Type 1 here to two dc.

Are you on injection therapy or pump therapy?

For me my insulin a requirements were less to start with then started increasing from about 12 weeks (I think!). Dawn phenomenon was at its worst but it was fine.

I was put on aspirin and a higher dose of folic acid.

It's towards the end it all goes wrong for me.

There's a few of us in the diabetes topic in the general chat section if you want to pop over grin

AbFab86 Thu 11-Jun-15 09:39:00

Funny you should both say your BMs went down in the first trimester. I woke up last night and it was about 3 but I felt fine, then was only 5 this morning so definitely lower than usual. Will definitely keep testing smile

I'm on injections rather than the pump. I've never had many issues so my doctor has said not to worry about switching. I'm under 'fairly' good control, although with PCOS too it's an added complication. My hba1c is currently 7.1, which I'm chuffed to bits with but then I know of type 2s who whinge when they go above 6.5. But that's different right? And I'm allowed to hate them yes?

SpottyTeacakes Thu 11-Jun-15 12:28:21

Of course! I hover around 7.5 but was 5.8 in pregnancy. Your hypo awareness will get lower so do watch out for that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now