Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ate blue cheese

(17 Posts)
LorryHen Tue 09-Jun-15 19:04:41

Argh I'm 20 weeks pregnant and just ate some 4 cheese tortellini which had blue cheese in the middle sad

Should I be worried or call the midwife? I don't want to overreact!

buntingbingo Tue 09-Jun-15 19:08:08

I wouldn't be worried. It would have been a small amount and cooked. If you feel ok then you probably haven't got whatever it is you supposed to be able to get from blue cheese.

ImSoCoolNow Tue 09-Jun-15 19:08:24

Calm yourself down. I'm sure you'll be fine. Was your dinner nice? Sounds lovely anyway

NerrSnerr Tue 09-Jun-15 19:09:10

It will be absolutely fine. No problem at all.

LorryHen Tue 09-Jun-15 19:11:40

Thanks! I'm usually not too strict with the food dos and don't but I have been avoiding mouldy cheese.

Also yeah it was lovely thank you, just felt a bit naughty after.

Pumble Tue 09-Jun-15 19:13:36

Pregnant with dc3 and my midwife told me that guidelines have recently changed so soft cheese and blue cheese is ok as long as it's pasteurised.

PickleSarnie Tue 09-Jun-15 19:14:55

There were less than 200 listeria cases last year. In a country of 64.1 million people. That's a 0.0003 chance of getting it. Or a 99.9997% chance of not getting it.

You'll be fine!

southlondonbaby Tue 09-Jun-15 19:20:45

Yeh just to add my partner ate two Stilton soufflés with a brie salad (still claims she didn't realise) at 20 weeks. All fine. Except for cheesy breath.grin

dementedpixie Tue 09-Jun-15 19:22:06

If it's cooked it's fine

dementedpixie Tue 09-Jun-15 19:23:41

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#cheese

scarednoob Tue 09-Jun-15 19:35:04

unless you ate it cold, I wouldn't worry - boiling the tortellini should have killed any nasties! besides, how much can there have been in a 4 cheese tortellini, probably a tiny smear.

I hate these food panics, I do it to myself all the time, but the reality is, as PP's have wisely said, the prospects of you having a problem in this country are really small.

geekymommy Tue 09-Jun-15 21:39:30

Seconding scarednoob. If the tortellini were cooked, there's no danger from listeria.

Here in the US, they let us eat soft cheeses and blue cheeses, as long as they are made from pasteurized milk. Guidelines from one country don't always apply in another, since food safety standards are different, but something to think about.

I want some blue cheese tortellini now.

Marsaday Tue 09-Jun-15 22:09:13

pumble do you have any kind of link to the new guidelines? I am desperate for stinky runny cheese, missed it so much in my last pg.

TreeSparrow Tue 09-Jun-15 22:22:49

Blue cheese is fine if cooked! I'm eating it cooked every week! Lovely stuff. grin

Bair Tue 09-Jun-15 22:28:53

I forgot and had Stilton on my burger a few weeks ago. Told the midwife and you'd think I'd told her I had lettuce or something, i.e she was like 'So...?' As long as it's pasteurised we're fine.

Roseotto Tue 09-Jun-15 23:46:01

Stilton is fine, pasteurised or not, as technically a hard cheese and listeria vanishingly rare in those. Has kept me going this time round!

scarednoob Wed 10-Jun-15 09:18:52

Yep, nhs says Stilton is fine. Stilton on chilli oat biscuits is one of my treats when OH is guzzling beer!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now