Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How important is it to take the mini pill at the same time everyday?

(18 Posts)
lexyloub Tue 09-Jun-15 10:54:46

I'm on the mini pill cerazette, I usually take my pill every morning but I've been on holiday and sometimes it's been very late at night before I've remembered to take it. Dc3 is only 15 weeks it would be a nightmare if I got pregnant again. I never missed a day taking it. Should I be worried?

ohhello Tue 09-Jun-15 11:28:56

Very. May mini pills have a small window of two or three hours. Cerazette has 12 hours but I'd try pretty hard to take it at a similar time.

ohhello Tue 09-Jun-15 11:30:18

Ha ha sorry, the "very" was in response to "how important" not "how worried should I be". But yes, if you've been 12 hours late, and having sex, you could be pregnant.

lexyloub Tue 09-Jun-15 11:45:39

Ahhh bollocks sad

lexyloub Tue 09-Jun-15 11:46:35

I day it was taken at midnight!!

millionsmom Tue 09-Jun-15 11:54:16

Aah, the mini pill.
Very important for you to take at the same time or you'll end up with DC2. Same thing happened to me, it was 30 years ago mind, so they might be 'stronger' now.

tabulahrasa Tue 09-Jun-15 11:56:57

I have a 19 yr old who arrived partly from my inability to take the mini pill at the same time, partly from having sex as well, obviously, lol.

Magicalmrmistofeles Tue 09-Jun-15 12:07:38

Very! Much less window of opportunity than with the other pill.

scaevola Tue 09-Jun-15 12:10:27

If you've not actually missed a day, you'll probably be OK. But go and read the pack information again, because if your 'day' is more than 12 hours long yes you may be at risk and the advice is to use condoms as well for the next seven days.

Also, although contraceptive options may be limited if you are BFing, you might want to think about whether this pill really suits how you live. If there isn't a routine you can build so you always take it (eg it's by your alarm clock or the loo, so you always take it when you switch it off or have first pee of the day, which you would do whether on holiday or not) then it's not going to be right for you.

ohhello Tue 09-Jun-15 12:10:33

You probably won't be though. You only have about 20% chance of conceiving in each cycle if you aren't using contraception at all. smile

lexyloub Tue 09-Jun-15 12:25:04

I normally take it every morning at home I suppose when your on holiday normal routine goes out the window. I'll definitely not be DTD for the next week but it could be a case of locking the door after the horse has bolted. I'll keep a look out for the tell tale signs & do a test in a few weeks just to make sure it's hard to tell where I am in a cycle as I don't have a bleed on the mini pill. Fingers crossed it'll be ok.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 09-Jun-15 12:32:05

Could you get an implant instead? Saw hormones but you can't forget..

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 09-Jun-15 12:32:45

Same hormones

Mamabear14 Tue 09-Jun-15 15:16:30

I have an 8yr old from not taking the mini pill at the same time daily! So, very important if you don't want DC2

madwomanacrosstheroad Tue 09-Jun-15 15:25:08

Was on the minipill 17 yrs ago. DS2 is coming 16.....

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 09-Jun-15 15:26:33

I was rubbish at taking the mini pill at the same time every day. Currently 36 weeks pregnant with extremely unplanned DC2...

lexyloub Tue 09-Jun-15 17:53:45

This would be dc4 though not dc2!!!!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 09-Jun-15 17:54:48

Then if you don't want DC4 you need to start taking it more regularly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now