Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

VW UP - travel systems that fit!!!

(22 Posts)
Bellabutterfly2014 Mon 08-Jun-15 21:41:03

Hi Mumsnetters;
Has anyone else got a VW UP? If so can anyone offer any advice as to which travel system would fit in the boot?!?! It's going to be a snug fit I think!!!! Would just be good to know.
Any advice would be fab xx

CityDweller Tue 09-Jun-15 11:19:08

We got our older style iCandy cherry in the boot, I think. I think... Because it was a while ago and we didn't really use the car much then (and when we moved DD into the next stage car seat we bought a bigger car as we wanted to keep her in a rear-facing seat and they take up a lot more room).
Something like a Bugaboo Bee should fit too.

I think a lot of shops will let you have a go at getting the pram system into your boot when you're looking at them. Try a big baby store or a John Lewis...

Earthbound Tue 09-Jun-15 11:21:54

Loolas have a very compact fold. The chassis and the seat unit would fit in the boot but not the carrycot if you chose to buy that as well.

The Quinny Zapp Xtra also folds very small.

Artandco Tue 09-Jun-15 11:23:34

Baby zen yoyo 0+. Can even put in foot well by babies feet freeing up whole boot.

haroldsfakebluetits Tue 09-Jun-15 11:34:13

The bee is probably your best shot

Sockmatcher Tue 09-Jun-15 12:55:25

Please don't put buggies in foot well in an accident they could be fatal.
A box of tissues convert to weight of brick in an accident. Please don't have heavy unsecured loads in cars.

Try the Baby jogger city mini

Artandco Tue 09-Jun-15 13:09:33

Sock - yes, but for many stuff has to go in the car ie camping or several children.

In our car a pram in footwell is wedged in and won't fly out anyway as has rear facing car seat above it so the only way to get pram out is slid out when door is open or to remove car seat first.

Artandco Tue 09-Jun-15 13:10:39

Sock - are you saying you never have say a bottle of water or handbag in car? Away in boot?

Artandco Tue 09-Jun-15 13:10:53

* always

Sockmatcher Tue 09-Jun-15 13:19:23

I'm not perfect and of course ive had items unsecured but not a buggy. You are disillusioned if you think your buggy if secure in the foot well. Have a Google of a crash test.

Artandco Tue 09-Jun-15 13:31:31

We don't even use prams anymore and usually went in boot, but that's not the point.
I'm not disillusioned. Our car seats are rear facing, in a sports car. There is no space between kids car seat and front seat. The base they sit on is over the whole footwell. There is no up space any item could move. Any item is basically trapped the same as it would be in a boot.

ARV1981 Tue 09-Jun-15 14:00:54

I don't have vw up, but it's lesser cousin the skids citing (apparently they're basically the same car - I don't care about cars so was just interested in safety, price and fuel efficiency). I haven't yet got a travel system... but, I did go to John Lewis where they let you put the buggy in the boot (if you park in their car park, obviously) to see if it fits. I was most surprised to discover that the uppa baby vista fitted but the icandy (I want to say strawberry, but could be raspberry) didn't. When unfolded the uppa baby vista looks much much bigger, but folds down to be smaller.

These were the only two systems we looked at and have ended up choosing the uppa baby one (though not buying until July as I want a clear hallway for as long as possible) because it fits in the boot better (the carry cot would have to go on the back seat I think), works with the car seat we want (maxi cos I pebble plus) and is good off-road (my mum lives in the country).

I say go to John Lewis, park in their car park and try a few out. We went on a week day without booking anything with them, but if you're going on a Saturday I would arrange a time with them.

As for the issues with tissues (lol) my dh is obsessed with the show myth busters and they busted this myth. Tissues (or anything else in the car) won't fly up and kill you. It's a myth....

ARV1981 Tue 09-Jun-15 14:01:36

I have a skoda citigo. Damon you auto correct!!!

ARV1981 Tue 09-Jun-15 14:05:40

Damn....

Sockmatcher Tue 09-Jun-15 14:18:32

Really a myth that things don't move forward or become projectiles? That's just basic science not really a myth. It's not the tissues- the box.....I'll let the other UK experts know that the crash tests are rubbish then

Sockmatcher Tue 09-Jun-15 14:22:10

youtu.be/Q1jj4NAzfHQ

Sockmatcher Tue 09-Jun-15 14:25:53

youtu.be/dE8sLDkwT_Q

lauraa4 Tue 09-Jun-15 14:29:23

I have a fiat 500 and have been wondering the same thing. I've been told the bugaboo is a good one but I'm going to take a trip to mothercare to test some out!

jenwren13 Tue 09-Jun-15 14:35:43

I have a 2015 Aygo, the boot is teeny. I've bought a Quinny Buzz which fits perfectly in the boot.
At all the shops I looked in they let me try any of the pushchairs etc in the boot.
I bought online and the shops didn't mind that I wasn't going to buy there and then.
Hope this helps

Bellabutterfly2014 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:10:35

Thanks for the advice - I'll head off to john Lewis I think!!!!

ARV1981 Tue 09-Jun-15 20:29:53

The myth is that it will kill you. Not that it will fly up. Sorry if unclear...

Sockmatcher Tue 09-Jun-15 21:52:08

Depends where it hits!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now