Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it possible to have HG without vomiting?

(20 Posts)
confusedeio Sun 07-Jun-15 19:16:27

I have terrible morning sickness that is lasting all day and all night. The nausea means I spend all night writhing around. I am struggling to eat anything but have not been sick once. I have the sensation that I am going to be but I manage to suppress it. This is all pretty new as I am only 7 weeks pregnant but I can't imagine how I am going to cope with this. I took all week off work last week as I couldn't get out of bed. I am usually a trooper and rarely take any time off. Could this be HG without vomiting? Thanks

bittapitta Sun 07-Jun-15 19:19:26

Sounds bad regardless - presumably if you took all week off work you'll need a sick/well note from your GP anyway so go tomorrow and explain how bad you're feeling. There is medication available. You need to be able to eat and drink and sleep!

Newtobecomingamum Sun 07-Jun-15 19:23:16

Hi, I have HG in this pregnancy and previous pregnancy. Mine starts off with 24/7 feeling sick and retching for a few weeks and then leads on to the vomiting period. The feeling is absolutely bloody awful and I so sympathise with how you're feeling.

This doesn't mean that you have HG and unfortunately could just be normal pregnancy stuff which may just die down, but I wanted to share my experience to say it could be possible.

I would go and see your doctor who will be able to advise and help.

Big hug from me flowers x

sarkymare Sun 07-Jun-15 19:30:29

I think the definition of HG is basically 'excessive morning sickness' (perhaps more scientific than that!) many people don't know what it is, health care professionals included so really it's a bit of a pointless title.

I am a HG sufferer myself (diagnosed in hospital at 7 weeks) and the constant unrelenting nausea is by far worse than the physical vomiting (which is so severe it makes my throat bleed) IMO. So for that you have my sympathy.

If the nausea is really debilitating then you can ask your GP for some antisickness medication. You do not need to be extremely sick to ask for help, but you may have to be insistent.

I'm sorry you are feeling so crappy and I hope the nausea buggers off soon x

Lahottiereturns Sun 07-Jun-15 19:53:31

Oh god confusedeio, I am 8 weeks, and feel just the same. I am definitely not vomiting enough to qualify for HG, or requiring a drip in hospital...I can keep some food down at a few moments in the day.

BUT...I am crippled by all day and night nausea, I can't drink any liquid, my head is pounding...I am petrified to go to bed each night as I know that when I next wake I will be in nausea hell. I have to start chewing on revolting water biscuits hourly from about 2 am to avoid the rest of the night on the bathroom floor. Crackers are constantly caked around my dry mouth...but I can't drink to clear it...hideous.

I fear that I have nothing more than bad morning sickness (this time is worse than I recall when pregnant with my son who is now one). The idea of feeling like this for the next 4 - 6 weeks totally horrifies me. I too cannot work in this state. I am self employed so I have flexibility, but it will impact my income very quickly.

I have already tried every anti nausea medication that is allowed in pregnancy and if anything they make me feel worse.

What I have tried to do this weekend ( with very mixed results) is to approach it mentally a little differently. I certainly have a phobia of nausea and being sick in public...this comes from terrible travel sickness as a child. I really don't want to lie paralysed in bed for the next month which I pretty much did last time. Instead I am trying to tell myself that the worst thing that can happen is I vomit at a client's office, or in a shop or in the street...and that isn't really that bad. I remind myself that nausea is just a feeling, and I am not sick, I am not dying, this isn't forever...am just having a much wanted baby.

And I also go to bed at 8.30pm every night as the moment I get tired the nausea triples! My son and boyfriend are already so bored of me.

I am delighted to keep chatting as we try to get through this in parallel, confused! And if you find any tricks, please let me know!

sarkymare Sun 07-Jun-15 20:09:46

Lahottie sorry for the personal question but how much and often are you urinating? Is your urine very dark?

If you are unable to drink then you will be dehydrated. I can say with absolute certainty that if you're dehydrated you're fighting a loosing battle with HG/MS. No amount of snacking or antisickness medication will make an ounce of difference until you're hydrated again.

Lahottiereturns Sun 07-Jun-15 20:13:50

I don't mind you asking at all...i am not urinating much, but for now the colour is ok. I am seeing my GP tomorrow and she is going to check it. My boyfriend is on the case too.

This weekend has been bad, and I am becoming conscious of my hydration as the headaches are worsening. I am traditionally a bit of a wuss, so I promise I won't be silly about getting help.

Thank you for asking!

sarkymare Sun 07-Jun-15 20:28:18

Oh good, I'm glad you have an appointment tomorrow.

For tonight, could your partner go out and get you some ice? You need to be being getting fluids into you somehow and ice cubes/lollies etc tend to be a lot easier on the stomach than just sipping water.

Lahottiereturns Sun 07-Jun-15 20:34:05

Thank you so much for the idea...and your concern. Ice is a possibility and have just found some Callipo lollies which I think I can face. I will not go to bed until I have made progress. It is liquid that makes me heave within seconds...but ice lolly maybe ok. I really appreciate your nudge to take it seriously.

Sarky are you currently pregnant and still suffering? You sound too sensible to be in my state!

OP are you managing to stay hydrated?

Skiptonlass Sun 07-Jun-15 21:09:06

My midwife suggested a single teaspoon of fluid every few minutes, no more, until I managed to rehydrate a bit. It did actually work.

I had horrendous sickness foe the first few months - the nausea was in my opinion much worse than the vomiting. It's really debilitating. Still being sick (albeit nowhere near as bad) at five months sad

Some gps are really unsympathetic - some are great. I hope you get to see one of the latter! You may need to be pushy - don't let anyone tell you it's normal to feel this way - it's not.

sarkymare Sun 07-Jun-15 21:09:47

Callipo lollies are one of my favs! The cheap supermarket brand plain fruit lollies are good also, just as well really as the top drawer of my freezer is full of them!

I am indeed pregnant and still suffering, although it's not constant now and I have more good days than bad now.

No need to thank me, just make sure you take yourself off to hospital for IV if you get further dehydrated. It really is amazing just how much better a bag of IV fluids can make you feel! I want my own IV kit at home!

bebo100 Sun 07-Jun-15 21:11:41

hope you're feeling better soon.

i found water made me throw up, but slowing sipping milk, or a weak milkshake seemed to work for me a little better.

just go with whatever you can best stomach, i lived on mashed potato for weeks with the first one. Second time round, avocado sandwiches were the food of the day and night….

Lahottiereturns Sun 07-Jun-15 21:49:16

Thank you all! I hope OP returns to say how she is doing.

I have had two Callipos and a small mug of Horlicks and have quickly come to bed before my stomach has other ideas...

I will get more lollies tomorrow and I like the milkshake idea too. I will work harder on this. Tuna melt toasted sandwiches are my thing for now...the only food to pass my lips in 3 days. It was the same when pregnant first time. Fortunately the sickness passed before my obstetrician insisted I scaled back the tuna!

sarkymare Sun 07-Jun-15 22:04:24

Oh brilliant! I'm so glad you've managed to get some fluids down you! I hope you manage to get some rest too smile

Sorry OP! We've completely taken over your thread! I hope you find some of this useful at least

LauraMcW Sun 07-Jun-15 22:30:55

Lahottie just wanted to say I felt exactly the same as you did until about 9 weeks, could hardly get out of bed, nausea constantly but no vomiting, didn't think I would ever feel better! Now 11 weeks and feel so much better, still waves of nausea but nowhere near like before. Hopefully you will be the same x

Barbarbarbarbarbaby Sun 07-Jun-15 22:37:31

Finally someone says it 24hr Nausea is killing. If vomiting helped it I would do more. I swallow and use all my power to not throw up. It is exhausting and debilitating.

18 weeks and it's starting to let up a little.

JassyRadlett Sun 07-Jun-15 23:35:43

I think nausea is the absolute worst part of any morning sickness, and for me the worst bit of HG. So debilitating.

Hope you're feeling better soon, OP. Agree on sleep and making sure you stay hydrated. Lemonade ice lollies and orange juice lollies are my saviour, and particularly got me through 12 weeks where still water made me vomit.

Lahottiereturns Mon 08-Jun-15 15:55:30

I wanted to update you on my appointment today, as a number if you were so generous in your support to me last night.

I saw my GP today and she was rather more on all your page about it...my blood pressure had actually dropped very low, and I woke this morning to dancing lights in my eyes. I vomited on the way to her office, so I realise I need to get a bit more serious about this.

She and I have compromised...This afternoon I went to a private London clinic near where I live and had 5 bags of saline and minerals dripped into my arm...I feel much more focused and alert as a result. I will see her again tomorrow and I will do the same drip thing again if necessary. If she isn't satisfied at that stage, we have agreed that hospital treatment will take place.

Thank you again for your help....I am off looking for a Callipo again!

sarkymare Mon 08-Jun-15 19:01:03

Thank you for updating and I'm glad your MW is taking this seriously. I'm not surprised you feel more alert after 5ltrs of IV! Do you see what I mean now by wanting my own kit at home? grin

Hopefully this will put you on a straight path and everything will be much easier to manage from now on smile do you still have your antisickness meds? They may work better now you're hydrated again.

sarkymare Mon 08-Jun-15 19:02:19

GP sorry not MW.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow, do let us know how you get on. Happy Callipo hunting!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now