Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

would you / do you: one glass of champers

(105 Posts)
frazzledtofun Tue 02-Jun-15 19:54:51

I think I kind of know the answer to this question, but here's the deal - I'm 19 weeks and it's my birthday and DH is treating me to a fabulous dinner at a michelin starred restaurant. I would LOVE to have a glass of champers when we go which I could sip at throughout the meal (so not down in one go or anything), but don't know if I'll enjoy it if I am just imagining poor baby wallowing in alcohol.

So, what do you all reckon? Would you do it? Have you done it? I haven't had any alcohol since I found out I was pregnant (had a glass of wine the night before my BFP as I was convinced that I wasn't pregnant).

Skiptonlass Tue 02-Jun-15 19:57:00

Yes it's absolutely fine!

I haven't had any at all so far, but really that's because I don't fancy it.

One glass, with food, is absolutely fine. Don't even worry about it, enjoy your lovely meal.

CanIGoToBedNow Tue 02-Jun-15 19:58:14

Yep - in fact had some on Saturday.... I'm 37 weeks.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 02-Jun-15 19:59:03

Yep I would and have

Brummiegirl15 Tue 02-Jun-15 19:59:17

Yes you absolutely should and enjoy every minute of it! grin

Newtobecomingamum Tue 02-Jun-15 19:59:29

I had two at my brothers wedding at 38 weeks ( hadn't drunk anything the whole pregnancy ) tasted amazing and was only a one off! smile

Treat yourself! One won't hurt! Enjoy your lovely dinner - lucky lady smile

scrivette Tue 02-Jun-15 19:59:34

Yes treat yourself, it will be fine. Enjoy!

ReluctantCamper Tue 02-Jun-15 19:59:47

Yep. Once morning sickness passed I had a glass of wine very week. Both my kids are fine. Enjoy your meal.

paxtecum Tue 02-Jun-15 20:01:13

I would usually say that women who insist of drinking wine throughout their pregnancy are selfish, but I think one glass of champagne in the scenario that you have described would be fine.

Have a wonderful night out!

RumAppleGinger Tue 02-Jun-15 20:02:20

Completely reasonable. Happy birthday. Chin chin!

Chchchchangeabout Tue 02-Jun-15 20:04:26

I had the occasional nice small glass of wine/champers after first trimester. And very nice it was too.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 02-Jun-15 20:05:17

One glass of champagne as a one off is totally fine. Go for it and enjoy it!

I was pregnant on my 30th and had a full glass of white burgandy. God it was good!

ClaryLestrange Tue 02-Jun-15 20:06:48

I did when I was p/g at Christmas both times (must have been about 16 weeks in both cases). Enjoy it!

KittyBennett Tue 02-Jun-15 20:08:23

Yes

Crumbelina Tue 02-Jun-15 20:08:30

God, yes! I went to a Michelin starred restaurant for my birthday and had a bloody lovely glass of wine. I'll also be having a glass of Champers this weekend. I won't get into the alcohol debate but it won't do either of you any harm, especially as it'll be drunk slowly with food.

BotBotticelli Tue 02-Jun-15 20:12:44

God yes get stuck in. After around 19-20 weeks both times I had a nice (small) glass of wine around once a week. With food and lots of water to drink too. It was delicious.

The hysteria around "selfish" women (thanks for that helpful comment above) having a drink during pregnancy is not evidence based at all. The evidence around FAS is based on alcoholic women who drink to excess throughout their whole pregnancy.

Bobian123 Tue 02-Jun-15 20:15:13

Definitely! I went to a wedding a few weeks ago (am in third trimester) and had half a glass of champagne during the reception and half for speeches. I have mastered the art of making a little alcohol last a loooooong time! Have a great night.

fruitpastille Tue 02-Jun-15 20:15:51

I had a glass of wine once a week with dinner. Enjoy your champagne.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 02-Jun-15 20:17:06

Yes I would. I don't drink at all in the first trimester, but will have a glass to sip and toast at weddings or special occasions. So only about 2 champagne flutes per pregnancy, sipped with a meal. I did find at once wedding though, as I was showing, it was taken off me like a naughty schoolchild

KatyN Tue 02-Jun-15 20:17:49

How strict are you about what you eat? If you are following all the guidelines you might need to inform the restaurant. I had two swanky meals out when pregnant last time and had several courses slightly altered to not include raw eggs or unpasteurised cheese.

Restaurants were fab but I had phoned ahead.

Happy birthday!

frazzledtofun Tue 02-Jun-15 20:42:06

Thank you all! I was thinking it would be fine as I don't normally drink during pregnancy. This is DC2 and with DC1 I had half a glass of champers on our wedding anniversary and she turned out alright, but I guess I just wanted a bit of reassurance!

I am really looking forward to it!

And Katy thank you for the heads up. I've already had a look at the menu and as we're going a la carte I can pick and choose things that will be suitable. Will be avoiding the oysters though!!

frazzledtofun Tue 02-Jun-15 20:42:43

I have got quite into alcohol free cider though...

OMGBabyNo3 Tue 02-Jun-15 20:57:15

I'm on pregnancy No 3. In first 2 I probably had approx 4 glasses of wine in each pregnancy (over 9 months-not in one night!). This time im wanting a glass more often (unplanned which hasn't helped!). I have prob had 6/7 v small glasses so far and am 22 weeks. One every 2-3 weeks. Really don't feel I am doing any harm. Happy birthday and enjoy your champers!!

MissTwister Tue 02-Jun-15 20:59:55

Of course. NHS guidelines are 1-2 units once or twice a week. Therefore a small glass is fine, that's all you need to know

Fanby Tue 02-Jun-15 21:47:28

Go for it! You'll be eating lots and drink lots of water too just to make yourself feel better ;)

I'm 29 weeks and I have had 1 x half glass of bubbles to celebrate pregnancy with a close friend that I hadn't seen for ages, 1 x half glass of bubbles to celebrate our engagement anniversary, 1 x glass of bubbles to celebrate our wedding anniversary (I love a celebration lol, any excuse for a posh dinner) and 2 x half glasses at my oldest friends wedding two weeks ago.

Happy birthday btw ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now