Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sunbathing on holiday ? Affect on baby?

(5 Posts)
missfitz23 Mon 01-Jun-15 09:08:54

Hi all.
I'm currently on holiday and it's really hot here. I've been in the sun but taking regular dips in the pool and staying shaded at times too. But have Still sunbathed quite a bit. Anyway I've noticed my legs and chest are really red and hot to touch . So I'm going to stay out for the next few days and keep shaded completely . My main worry is the baby? My stomach hasn't been exposed but my sunburn has left me feeling hot generally and I'm worried my Core temp may be too hot ?

happygojo Mon 01-Jun-15 09:16:15

Obviously sunburn is bad, and your skin is more sensitive in pregnancy so be sure to cover up, get a hat and don the factor 50 from now on.

However, if your core temp had been raised you would feel really sick (heat stroke). If you are just a bit red then I would guess you are ok. How pregnant are you? if you are worried then get checked out

happygojo Mon 01-Jun-15 09:17:52

I mean it is bad in general life not just pregnancy. I got a sunburnt face last weekend and I am 30 weeks. I really underestimated how photosensitive pregnancy has made my skin.

HazleNutt Mon 01-Jun-15 09:21:30

Baby will be fine - people in hot countries have babies all the time, and your body is quite efficient in maintaining temperature. But as said, your skin is likely to get more sensitive, so be careful for your own sake.

Skiptonlass Mon 01-Jun-15 10:53:16

If you're burned you need to stay out of the sun for the next few days ( NOT go out to 'even it up') you need to take cool showers and drink plenty of cold water. Several cold showers a day if you have to, it'll make you feel more comfy. Aloe Vera gel in the fridge for the burns.

It's not bad for the baby per se - don't overheat, keep well hydrated and be aware that your thirst triggers are those of someone who lives in a cooler climate, so you need to drink a bit more than you think you would. You do need to acclimatise to hotter places and that takes several weeks before you're really used to it.

You may also find your skin is more sensitive and youre more likely to get darker pigmented patches which don't fade until after birth.

I'm going to be one of those people as well and say sunbathing isn't terribly good for you smile but enjoy your holiday (it's pissing it down and cold here.) ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now