Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else sick of being treated like a China Doll?

(30 Posts)
frangipani13 Mon 01-Jun-15 08:24:26

Don't eat that
Don't lift that (extremely light thing)
Don't get stressed out (erm I'm being made redundant, kind of impossible not to)
Don't get too drunk Hahaha (I haven't touched a drop since 1st Jan ffs)
Shouldn't you go to bed?

Is anyone else feeling a bit fed up of being told what they should and shouldn't be doing because of pregnancy or am I being an ungrateful hormonal cowbag?

Got vvv upset last night as DH (who is brilliant and has been amazing throughout pg so far) isn't keen on me going to see Foo Fighters when I'll be 25 weeks. It's seated and I'll be going with someone responsible, driving there etc. They're my all time favourite band and I want to do something fun for me before the little one gets here.

Is anyone else feeling the same?

poocatcherchampion Mon 01-Jun-15 08:33:34

Ah the good old days if a first pregnancy! grin

Skeppers Mon 01-Jun-15 08:38:45

YES.

Especially my mum. "So, how are you feeeeeling???" every time she calls. She never gave a flying fuck before! grin

I've had a very easy pregnancy thus far (30wks). Honestly, I've never felt better. People seem disappointed when I tell them this!

frangipani13 Mon 01-Jun-15 08:43:08

Same here! Was out for civilised afternoon tea yesterday and MIL asks loudly "How's your bladder? Are you at the stage where you leak?" FFS!!!!!

spillyobeans Mon 01-Jun-15 08:44:19

Yup really annoying even though probably meant with greatest of intentions. I think pregnant women baffle people, people stop knowing how to act around you for some reason! Rather have someone too concerned though than someone really not giving a shit (i.e: watching you struggle with something - however i just ask for help in this case!)

LilyWasThere Mon 01-Jun-15 08:47:39

I'm loving it! Sorry! My DH normally expects me to man-up so being treated with kid gloves is a real treat!

Just wondering how long I can drag it out for once the baby arrives....!

Ficidy Mon 01-Jun-15 09:10:44

Oh I wish I had the same complaints. Second pregnancy and he couldn't care less sad

Emus Mon 01-Jun-15 09:14:56

Second pregnancy and my OH is also being extra protective. I'm not allowed to paint, take the bins out, lift heavy things etc. I get a bit frustrated sometimes and then realise I should make the most of it grin. I definitely think you should go and see the FF - you'll have a great time grin. X

HazleNutt Mon 01-Jun-15 09:34:47

Second pregnancy here so I mostly find it hilarious now. "ooh no don't lift that!!" all the time at work - I'm about to go to the gym and lift 20 kilos over my head for a few dozen reps - I think I can manage a folder!

Choccyhobnob Mon 01-Jun-15 10:24:59

I don't mind it so much now that I'm 25 weeks and things are getting a little bit harder as bump gets bigger but around 12-20 weeks I was getting the absolute RAGE at people telling me I couldn't lift stuff (really light stuff!) when, like HazleNutt* I was still going to the gym and lifting weights (only about 10kg though lol) and was like ffs leave me alone!!

Now though I love DH running around after me hehe

RockerMummy184 Mon 01-Jun-15 10:37:34

I just had this exact conversation with a colleague after my boss told me I'm not allowed to use the stairs at work any more and must use the lift!! hmm

Also people in shops 'oooh....you shouldn't be carrying that shopping bag in your condition!' ...well I have a 2yo who I sort of have to carry at times, and he is considerably heavier than a loaf of bread and 4 pints of milk, I think I'll be fine!!

This is my second pregnancy, I know my limits, and contrary to popular belief, getting pregnant has not suddenly made me stupid! It is very different this time as I am carrying twins, but I am still capable of understanding my own body.

Also, I went to see the Foo Fighters last week. Was booked before I was pregnant and had standing tickets. Suffered the next day as I was exhausted, but was TOTALLY worth it! Enjoy!

Nutellalover14 Mon 01-Jun-15 11:02:57

Haha, this made me laugh. Am 19 weeks on Wednesday, and got told a couple weeks ago by an older auntie i couldn't stretch!! Ehh what?!
Everyone was making a fuss, i can't do this or that. I had to walk out the room, as i was so annoyed i got myself upset! Luckily my mum was there to stick up for me, lol.

Am also fed up of people asking how am feeling every 30 mins! Oh, and how i look 'glowing'!! I only 'glow' i have is when my head has been down the loo to be sick!! grin

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 01-Jun-15 11:16:56

In a second pregnancy and also when you have a newborn, no one helps you, so I wish I'd enjoyed it more!

scarednoob Mon 01-Jun-15 11:24:00

I wish. OH is being really good about doing all the tidying, washing etc. but if I am lying on the sofa and I moan that the baby needs a drink, I get, "you're not sick, you're pregnant, YOU get it."

it's so unreasonable.....!

meeskamooska Mon 01-Jun-15 11:26:36

Nope I feel the exact opposite! I really appreciate extra allowances being made for me when pregnant, I do need more help with certain things. But when it's your fourth baby, people just assume you can cope.

Just wait til you get bigger and need someone to go and fetch your shoes, or you feel faint and need someone to give up their seat... You'll probably change your mind.

However, I might want help, but I agree with you on the unwanted advice - that's definitely not needed. I am still capable of deciding what to eat and drink etc for myself!

Peppaismyhomegirl Mon 01-Jun-15 11:26:51

Yep enjoy it. After the first and you have other children to take care of no one really gives a shit. Life goes on and at some point you pop out a baby

Skeppers Mon 01-Jun-15 11:30:35

Hmmm. This will be my first and only, and now I feel like I'm not milking it nearly enough!! When people ask me how I feel from now on I'm going to lie and say 'ooh, just terrible, absolutely exHAUSTED' and get them to feed me tea and cake and do all my work for me whilst I put my feet up! grin

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 01-Jun-15 11:33:59

The funny thing is, you get all the well meaning, but slightly irritating sometimes, people when you feel fine. But when you could really do with a seat or some help (I had praevia so really wasn't supposed to lift anything) people say the 'pregnant not sick' thing. Sods law I suppose!

Steph1502 Mon 01-Jun-15 11:34:18

I wish my OH treated me like a china doll....

gingerbreadmam Mon 01-Jun-15 11:42:13

oh wow im 20wks when will this start happening?

im not allowed to hoover or carry the weekly shop but thats the only change ive seen so far!

sianihedgehog Mon 01-Jun-15 12:02:23

No one is doing this with me. sad This weekend I did the hoovering, even though it wasn't my turn, did all the dishes, went out and got my shopping on foot, and boarded up a friend's door after her idiot boyfriend kicked it in. No one has offered to fetch me a cup of tea if I'm on the sofa and I honestly feel like I'm pushing my luck making people walk slowly so I can keep up!

I want to be a China doll, I'm really tired!! Currently 30 weeks in my first pregnancy.

Skiptonlass Mon 01-Jun-15 12:11:25

not too many people have done this to me actually. I do get what you mean though, the one or two times it has happened it is annoying. I think it's that feeling of being public property and having reduced bodily autonomy.

Having said that, most people have just been really nice about it. The owners of the restaurant we go to quite often gave me a big hug when they saw the bump!

Dh is being great too - I'd say supportive rather than fussy, which is nice. I am quite achy and tired so I appreciate him carrying heavy shopping etc.

Maybe I'm a lazy git but it is quite nice to play the pregnancy card sometimes ;)

StrawberryCheese Mon 01-Jun-15 12:21:47

Well in my case people say 'oh you shouldn't do that and this, leave it to me' etc. but then they never do help so I end up carrying on as normal unless I want to live in squalor, never have any food.

Skeppers Mon 01-Jun-15 12:27:35

sianihedgehog I feel your pain; over the last 2 weekends I've repainted the kitchen, built 4 stools, lugged flat-packed furniture off shelves in Ikea, as well as all the usual chores...30 weeks here too and it is getting tougher! Can't be too hard on DH because he's definitely been taking on the lion's share of the manual work! We're desperate for someone to do our massively overgrown garden though; I can't (the strimmer really killed my back last time, plus our garden is on hill so it's very cumbersome lugging the mower up/down) and DH has a neck injury- we put an appeal on Facebook for any friends/relatives who could help us out with the gardening...not a single offer of help! shock

Bastards.

frangipani13 Mon 01-Jun-15 12:38:04

skeppers and siani you are both ruddy brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now