Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any teachers with toddler and pregnant?

(7 Posts)
Marsaday Sun 31-May-15 18:30:39

Hi ladies, I got my Bfp for dc#2 last week. DS1 is currently 16 months and a miniature human tornado. I am a secondary teacher.
When I was pregnant with ds1 i remember being utterly exhausted for the first 12 weeks, and again in the last 12. I used to at school until 7pm to clear all work then come home, eat and go straight to bed. I won't be able to do that now though, as i have to leave work to pick up ds, and then do dinner, bath, bed. That means most nights i am planning and marking from 8.30 until 10.30pm, sometimes 11.
Does anyone have any tips for how to deal with pregnancy tiredness with the relentlessness of teaching once you have a toddler??

Jellybean2011 Sun 31-May-15 19:03:06

All I can say is I feel your pain! I'm a primary school teacher and will officially be on maternity leave as of tomorrow (37 weeks). I have a four year old and have been fluctuating between mummy guilt- that I don't spend enough time with my own son because of not getting home until after 7 and teacher guilt- because I've been so tired, sick and run down. I don't have any tips because I have struggled through this pregnancy and really don't know how I can go back to full time teaching with 2 young children!! X

Roseybee10 Sun 31-May-15 19:05:21

I was soooo tired second time around between work and my dd1. It was exhausting. With my first I used to leave school at 3 then sleep til 7 and then work til 10 but of course I couldn't do that second time.
I am dreading going back to work and trying to balance the paperwork with two kids argh x

turdfairynomore Sun 31-May-15 19:27:01

I was so lucky to time both of mine for end Aug/start Sept! As I'm in NI that meant I "finished" at 30 weeks ish but got paid for the holidays! And as I'm in NI they are both also "old" for their year as our oldest in the year is 2nd July birthday! My then principal-a widowed dad of 4 small children-was amazing to all staff. He'd take your bag out of your hand on the way home so that you couldn't tAke work home, he'd take your class for you and send you home! He'd book a sub without telling you and allow you time to plan/coordinate/catch up. We used to have to leave a file of "stuff" in his office with sub work suitable for each topic. If a sub was coming in he'd have photocopied the lessons for them. He would tell us that his own circumstances had shown him that there were very few times that school should be the most important thing in your life. He was amazing. Still is-but in a different school. This is all irrelevant to you though op!! Except for that phrase about it not always being the most important thing! That has always stuck with me! Good luck! And congratulations!!!

Chickenandpenguin Sun 31-May-15 19:41:08

No tips sorry! I'm 13 weeks with dc3 other dc are 22 mths and 3 yrs 4 mths. I'm a primary school teacher and it's just exhausting! I have to let my standards go, I still mark/plan rigorously but the rest - displays, fancy smartboard things etc all go. As do clubs and extra duties I do. I mark through lunch and break them from 3:15 to 5pm when I go get kids. I rarely work at home unless it sats or report time. You can't do it all smile

LeOrange Sun 31-May-15 19:56:11

Am a Secondary teacher with a 4 and 6 year old and 28 weeks pregnant, working full-time. It is really, really hard! Have you got many exam groups who are heading off now? I have had a couple of days were I have been so tired I can't function and have had to phone in sick - I never take time off so had to have a real word with myself to not feel guilty about this.

I did find myself working very late in the evening (6 out of my 8 groups are exam classes so my workload has just diminished dramatically) so as to get home and spend time with my two before bed. No easy options really - our workload is bloody massive, isn't it?! I have also made a point of leaving at the end of the school day at least once a week so that I can come home and have an hour's nap before collecting DD. Other option, which worked for me as I had a spate of pregnancy insomnia, was to go to bed early so I felt rested and get up at about 5am and do my marking then - I find I am much more productive first thing in the morning.

Marsaday Sun 31-May-15 20:38:53

Oh dear, not really any stories of hope here , thats a bit what i was afraid of.
Only one of my classes was y11 but those 'spare' lessons have been allocated for creating sow by the hod.
My hod is a workaholic and seems to think that we should should all be the same. There is the expectation that we run booster sessions after school for exam students who are behind. I have some really tough classes too, no way i can.sit down to teach them, have to be patrolling the room non stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now