Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Reducing me to tears now!

(10 Posts)
Cgow Sat 30-May-15 00:51:10

So I gave birth to my perfect angel on Wednesday @ 00:14, I was lucky enough to be given my own room after a back to back torturous labour ending in baby swallowing her own poop due to stress.
I am still in hospital as they wanted to keep an eye on little one but have now been dumped on a ward, before today my baby was progressing well breastfeeding like a dream and I had only heard her cry twice!
The ward I am in is full of inconsiderate bleeps to say the least!
One lady is still sat chatting away on her phone despite me asking her to stop and complaining twice to midwife then the other leaves her baby to scream until the midwife intervened!
This has resulted in myself and my baby being very stressed! She has been upset and would not latch on for the first time so I have had to bottle feed her!
We are not getting any care and I would be 100% better off at home. Are you able to discharge yourself? I will add she was in the neo natal unit until last night but is absolutely fine now, I want to know before I demand the midwife lets me go.
She is due antibiotics to prevent infection there is nothing there currently. I just feel this stress isn't worth it for us!! sad

Newtobecomingamum Sat 30-May-15 05:23:04

So sorry to hear about your situation. I think as long as you are both medically fit (docs agree) and that baby is feeding then that would be fine.

I discharged myself after a few hours with my first because the after care was so awful and I was better off with my hubby and mum looking after me and baby at home! Best thing I ever did.

Best of luck Xx

Whatabout Sat 30-May-15 06:03:27

If she needs antibiotics you need to stay until they are done. Sadly post natal wards are quite horrible a lot of the time. Also ime babies are very sleepy for the first 24 hours and then find their lungs!! Try and stay calm and baby will too, you'll be home soon.

Cgow Sat 30-May-15 06:26:49

It's horrible there needlessly drawing blood were both not sleeping baby now seems so un interested in feeding! The babies in this room screamed all night and are still at it and my poorly angel hasn't let a peep out !!
If she stops feeds it will set us back. Now surely if she's reliant on antibiotics they wouldn't shove her in this ward as honestly I can see in her face she's stressed!!!
I'm going to ask to go this is not fair.

SpottyTeacakes Sat 30-May-15 06:38:15

That sounds horrible sad it is pretty normal for babies that need antibiotics to be on the ward then wheeled up to nicu for them and wheeled back down after. Do you have the option of paying for a private room?

Lots of skin to skin and putting her to the breast if you wish to continue breastfeeding. I expect your milk will come in today if it hasn't already thanks

Cgow Sat 30-May-15 06:50:12

It's just so stressful as there treating something that isn't there it's doing more harm than good. Just been advised it will probably be Wednesday now! There saying I should've been in a side room but there so busy down here they can't accommodate for me! Am I able to discharge myself cod honestly I don't think I can cope in here much longer than I have x

Whenwillwe3meetagain Sat 30-May-15 06:55:01

I discharged myself one day post cs as didn't sleep in v noisy ward. Midwife not happy as wasnt breastfeeding properly but understood. If they are saying Wednesday you need to stay in longer. Keep asking about a side room.
Surely the noisy &&@?( will leave soon?

KensingtonRose Sat 30-May-15 06:55:21

Gosh I could have written this. My care after birth was terrible and there's currently a complaint/investigation ongoing.

My advice would be to stay put if you can until you are discharged. Purely because there are certain checks on the baby that will need to be done, and if your baby needs medication they'll give you a supply to take home.

My care was so bad, I was injected without my consent leaving a bruise that lasted longer than my C section dressing! One of the nurses was arguing with me at full voice at 2am in the morning and left my curtain open when I was breastfeeding, leaving me exposed when there was a man visiting one of the women opposite.

Stay strong, keep logs of what has happened, names and times because you will forget later. Request a copy of your notes and if they say no, say you'll put a Subject Access Request in writing to the CEO of the Trust.

You'll be home soon with your beautiful baby xx

KensingtonRose Sat 30-May-15 06:57:47

Insist on a side room. I was promised one that never materialised and I regret not kicking up more of a fuss.

On my ward one woman was playing music on her mobile keeping me awake (I hadn't slept a wink in 2 days) and waking up my baby. It was terrible. I really feel for you thanks

RumAppleGinger Sat 30-May-15 07:07:08

I was kept in for five days on a ward after DS1 was born. It was awful. The entire time i was there there was only one occasion when every baby and mother was asleep and the midwives choice that moment to shake us all awake and ask when the last time we fed our babies was. Understandably I burst into tears. I really only needed to stay for 2 nights but as a bit of a nervous first timer I didn't feel able to discharge myself. It definitely spoilt my first few days with DS. I was adamant that if DS2 needed to be kept in I would be very firm in my decision on when we would be leaving. Luckily we were discharge first thing the next morning never having made it onto the ward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now