Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thank you gifts for midwives

(10 Posts)
Bazza2 Sat 23-May-15 19:12:08

I am (hopefully) leaving hospital soon after having my first baby. The staff here have been amazing and I've been so well looked after. Any midwives with any advice on good gifts?

batfish Sat 23-May-15 19:19:15

I am not a midwife but used to work in a hospital and the loveliest gift I remember from a patient's relative (the patient sadly died) was a big box of goodies such as teabags, nice coffee and some lovely biscuits - because we had to buy our own tea and coffee so it felt really thoughtful and could be used by everyone. To be honest getting a thank you at all is really appreciated so you can't really go wrong!

OhHolyFuck Sat 23-May-15 19:21:05

I agree a nice box of biscuits/cake etc, they're on their feet a lot and just grabbing a lovely something on your 5 minute break must be a real pick up
And a nice card explaining that your thankful for their great card, morale boost for the team too

GratefulHead Sat 23-May-15 20:05:26

I used to be a midwife and tbh I valued most of all a card with some nice words. It means a lot to know you have made a difference to someone, I still have and treasure all the cards I was ever given. I also have a fair few photos of babies complete with weight etc. One of the babies I delivered is getting married in September....she is my friends daughter....oh God I feel old when I see her excited updates on Facebook grin.

lougle Sat 23-May-15 20:12:06

The new NMC code of practice says that nurses and midwives must refuse all but the most trivial of gifts, so something for the ward as a whole would be appreciated and not cause trouble.

HookedOnHooking Sat 23-May-15 20:14:37

wine diamonds Chocolate. You really cannot go wrong with chocolate. And a nice card.

ItsADinosaur Sat 23-May-15 20:58:42

A thankyou or a card is lovely really. But if you do want to do more than chocolates or biscuits are always appreciated, it's such a treat and we always share with all the staff.

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 23-May-15 21:06:36

Observations from a student here! Chocolates and biscuits are great and a big box that gets plonked on the desk never lasts long. However, the absolute best and I really do think most appreciated (certainly got talked about for a long time!) was when someone brought in a big box of fruit, it was absolutely loaded with grapes, satsumas, pears, apples and all sorts and it was such a nice antidote to the chocolate to be able to grab something fresh in passing.

I got two boxes of nice biscuits, post it labelled for the day shift and night shift. My doctor sister gave me that tip as she says any food gifts disappear quickly and the night shift always misses out.

Bazza2 Sat 23-May-15 21:34:08

Great suggestions here. I always thought they'd get quite enough chocolate and biscuits but it's good to know they'd be appreciated. Fruit is a really good tip, I'll get some of that too. And I wouldn't have thought to separate things for day/night shifts either but that is a very good point, I'll definitely do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now