Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do you think its safe?

(17 Posts)
MissTwister Sat 23-May-15 18:36:11

I'm thinking about having our double glazing done before baby arrives in a couple of months. This really needs doing as the house is quite cold. However, I'm a bit concerned that the old sash windows have lead paint on them. The windows guy said they probably do. They also said they'd take precautions to not get much dust in the house (plastic sheeting and Hoovers) but obviously some is inevitable. I know how bad inhaling lead paint dust can be to a baby in utero but am just not sure if doing the windows is a real risk or if I'm being over paranoid? I mean they're not sanding them down but he did say there would be dust. I can't stay out of the house a few days as need to go to work.....

What do you think?

Flisspaps Sat 23-May-15 18:54:26

Personally, I'd not worry.

trumpetmouse Sat 23-May-15 20:28:38

Oooo, interested in this as we're having the same thing done on old sash windows.

MissTwister Sat 23-May-15 20:30:44

What are your thoughts trumpetmouse? Are you having them fully replaced?

The house will just be so cold without....

Flisspaps Sat 23-May-15 21:43:53

I will add that I made my comment as someone in a 108 year old house with original, rotting draughty wooden dash windows. I'd not have thought twice about replacing them when I was pregnant.

DimpleHands Sat 23-May-15 22:00:04

I wouldn't risk it. I have no clue of the actual risk, but what I do know is that if (God forbid) your baby is born with anything wrong with it, you will always wonder and beat yourself up about.

My DS has autism and I always worry about whether sanding old paint off my bathroom walls and ceiling and repainting it when I was pregnant had anything to do with it. I mean, I also wonder about whether it was the coffee I drank, the odd glass of wine I had, the daily Diet Coke I had (aspartame), the stress I put myself through at work, etc etc. Which is why I am being as cautious as I can possibly be with this second pregnancy.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sat 23-May-15 22:11:02

I wouldn't think twice.

MissTwister Sat 23-May-15 22:49:58

Thanks for thoughts all - I'm leaning towards having it done. Dimplehands - I am hoping there won't be huge amounts of dust and I won't be here when they are doing it in the daytime.....

ejclementine Sat 23-May-15 23:53:20

If you're worried you could always invest in an air purifier - we've got one for hay fever and it sucks in particles through a filter too. It's brill!

Lemondrizzletwunt Sun 24-May-15 01:09:06

At a tangent, but are you selling the old windows?

MissTwister Sun 24-May-15 08:23:54

Lemon I hadn't thought about it! I guess we could?

MissTwister Sun 24-May-15 08:24:22

EJ clementine thanks I will look into that

Superexcited Sun 24-May-15 08:27:45

I Would go ahead and do it but if it was possible I would stay out of the house whilst the work is being done and make sure everything is cleaned up before I get back each day.
I would rather get it done than bring baby back to a cold draughty house.

AmiL123 Sun 24-May-15 08:34:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissTwister Sun 24-May-15 09:17:48

Thanks Amil that's really useful - did they use a 'forensic tent' (ie plastic sheeting!) as ours said this would stop most of the dust?

AmiL123 Sun 24-May-15 10:19:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

g0ldie Sun 24-May-15 11:02:33

We had sash windows replaced when ds was a couple of months didn't think about any risk to be honest was more worried about ds being cold in winter! He is just over two and fine. I would go for it! Good reason to ask someone else to manage an clear up after though!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now