Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What is this pulsing!?

(18 Posts)
MissTwister Mon 18-May-15 08:27:36

I'm coming up to 30 weeks and for the last couple I've had on and off a very rhythmic pulsing in my very lower abdomen. Always same place. It lasts up to about 20 minutes and happens a few times a day.

I really don't think its hiccups as its too fast and in time with my heartbeat. Also it feels different. I am assuming it must be a blood vessel or something.

I had a quick google and plenty of people are asking but there don't appear to be any answers. Has anyone else had this?

Letmegetanamechange Mon 18-May-15 08:32:10

I had this too, thought I was going crazy! I think it's your own pulse, something to do with increased blood flow I think..?

MissTwister Mon 18-May-15 08:37:15

It's an icky sensation. Do you think I need to tell MW or is it not important? I don't want to pop!

MissTwister Mon 18-May-15 13:33:56

Any one else had this? It's freaking me out a bit!?

Number3cometome Mon 18-May-15 13:43:34

I get it in my upper abdomen and it's definately my heart beat.
Also get it in my ears, and can sometimes see it as black spots in my eyes!

lauraa4 Mon 18-May-15 14:43:37

I had something like this but it felt like slight vibrations! It only happened on one day but lasted about 2 hours!

No idea what is was.

BumWad Mon 18-May-15 14:57:57

I get this too - I thought they were baby hiccups!? confused

MrsPopple29 Mon 18-May-15 18:58:32

I think they are hiccups, mine feels like a rhythmic heartbeat too and have been told that's what they are!

Skeppers Mon 18-May-15 19:07:14

I get it, more like quick 3 sec bursts of rapid vibrations, then nothing. It doesn't happen every day, just occasionally, and only once or twice. Definitely not hiccups; not frequent enough and far too fast! Hadn't thought to ask til now. Seeing MW tomorrow, will ask and report back if I get an answer! smile

FeelTheNoise Mon 18-May-15 19:12:03

I get this, all the way down to my buttocks! I often wonder if it's visible to my colleagues grin I seem to be just sat there pulsating grin

MissTwister Mon 18-May-15 20:29:12

How odd - maybe it is hiccups then but its strange it lasts so long and so regular. And that I can only feel it in one place not all over bump.

TheDetective Mon 18-May-15 20:38:05

I am having my 3rd baby. And I'm a midwife.

And I had this, exactly this, for the first time today! After much deliberation and filming of it (can see it as well as feel it with my hand!) I am concluding it's placental. Am somewhat confused though!!

Never seen or heard of it before. My first thought was the uterine blood supply. After having timed it along side my pulse, it is faster. So I'm going with placental! I have an anterior placenta. So this could work, right?! I'm going to try and read and find out what it could be. Because it did mystify me somewhat. If I get actual answers, I'll let you know!

It's either that or the baby swallowed an alarm clock. shock grin

MrsAnxiety1 Mon 18-May-15 21:39:32

I get this in the middle of my back and it worried me a lot... From what research I could find, it's the extra stress on blood vessels and extra blood that you have going on whilst pregnant. I used to get it pre-pregnancy if I was working out too much (to the point of making myself dizzy). Ask your MW if worried smile

MissTwister Tue 19-May-15 09:58:42

Thanks Detective do let me know if you find out what it is. My placenta is posterior but then I do feel it lower and more towards the back and not so much at the front.

I hope it is nothing to worry about!

brokencrayons Fri 22-May-15 18:38:17

I'm only 14 weeks and get this too! Especially if I'm lying on my back. I think it's just my own pulse! Weird

Jellybean81 Sat 23-May-15 00:23:06

I'm 35 weeks and been experiencing this at least once a day for the last few weeks. I had a quick Google and it may be baby practice breathing - I mentioned this to my consultant and she said that it's definitely a possibility. The movements are way to fast to be my pulse and aren't as strong as hiccups.

Nottalotta Sat 23-May-15 09:48:02

If i lie on my back pre pregnancy i can see my pulse going in my tummy. I imagine its that if its in time with your own pulse.

scrivette Sun 24-May-15 20:29:02

I have this too (as I type even). My friend who is a doctor could feel it when she put her hands on my stomach. She said it's me not the baby - the extra blood being pumped around the body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now