Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The dog knows...

(15 Posts)
ejclementine Sun 17-May-15 18:42:55

Anyone else's dogs being weird? One of ours has become very out of character; following me, needing to sleep ON me, staring at me etc. Haha! He is such a character and we're convinced he can sense changes. I'm only 7+2.

Holden10 Sun 17-May-15 19:11:54

Hahah yes!!! People think I'm crazy for this but yeah my dog is being the same and has been all the way through, I'm 38+1 now. Really protective. It's lovely isn't it! Best of luck to you!

OneLittleManOneInOven Sun 17-May-15 19:18:08

With my first pregnancy, our Rottweiler got very protective, especially whilst walking etc. He would growl at strangers (really out of character) x

Toothfairy7 Sun 17-May-15 19:19:00

Hey smile yes definitely our dogs know... They can sense hormonal and chemical changes I swear it... Our lurcher was resting her head on my tummy and protective of it from very early days and my husband said ' maybe you are pregnant and she can tell'.. And we found out that he was right!!

gingerbreadmam Sun 17-May-15 19:31:24

my dog wouldnt leave me alone when we first found out. my dad used to comment on it all the time! im 17wks now and think its bored of me and bump grin

ARV1981 Sun 17-May-15 19:37:40

Wow toothfairy! That's so cool that your dog knew before you did.

I don't have a dog sad, but my mum's spaniel seems to know! They're very clever about these sorts of things!

ejclementine Sun 17-May-15 19:41:11

It's mad isn't it, haha! I am loving the extra attention; usually he's cuddling up to his dad so I'm making the most of it!

thetroubleis Sun 17-May-15 19:43:11

My Mil's red setter was sniffing my boobs and sitting on me long before I knew. We had no idea until a couple of weeks later!

RockerMummy184 Sun 17-May-15 20:21:10

onelittleman we had a rottweiler who did exactly the same when I was pregnant with ds. When my bump got bigger he'd sit underneath it so it rested on his nose.
The day we brought ds home from hospital he unpacked the bag of used clothes and took every one of the babies things onto his bed to look after them.
He was an ace dog! :-)

scarednoob Sun 17-May-15 20:36:29

Yep, my friend was pregnant and her female dogs (the male didn't notice!) kept trying to lick her chest. I went round there the days before I got a BFP, having had a BFN that afternoon, and they tried to do it to me. I think they can smell the hormones.

After all, some dogs can be trained to sniff out tumours, so it's perhaps not surprising they can smell something different in us!

ChucksAhoy Sun 17-May-15 20:48:15

I think they know - my Mil's dog has gone so soppy on me in the last few weeks - leaning on me if I stand still for more than 30 seconds, then staring up at me whining. My DH dotes on him so I think he's worried he'll lose his place as 'top dog soon!' He's also stopped trying to get on my lap when I sit on the sofa (he's a big collie) and instead just insists on having his head stroked on my knee (bless!).

FeelTheNoise Sun 17-May-15 21:08:01

You lucky people! My dog is still an awkward bastard grin

Frolicacid Sun 17-May-15 22:33:20

Our spaniel has not left my side since very early on. She went through a phase of nuzzling my boobs. Now she's moved on to being obsessed with resting her head on the bump. She keeps sneaking into our bed to snuggle it. She's never got in bed with us in her whole 11 years until now.
She obviously knows something is going on. I just don't think she knows quite how noisy the end result will be!

fishermanswife1 Mon 18-May-15 15:29:48

I dont mind sounding wacky, our dog knows. He is acting completely differently when anyone gets anywhere near either the front or back door, when there's only myself in the house. He never used to bark and I had never heard him growl.....until now. If anyone he doesn't know tries to come in, he barks the place down until he's worked out who it is and I've reassured him. He never used to come on the sofa (he's rather large), but now he's straight up, head on my lap, starring at the living room door. Glad others think so too!

OneLittleManOneInOven Mon 18-May-15 16:06:53

They definately sense pregnancy hormones, however else would they know in the wild when they have pups on the way smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now