Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

DC3 breech at 35 weeks ... Any stories to share?

(17 Posts)
AnythingNotEverything Sat 16-May-15 20:40:48

So ... This is DC3. I've had two fairly straightforward vaginal deliveries, history of big babies, and they think this one will be 10lb at term.

Baby is still breech. I think he/she has been head down a few times (due to serious backache it caused) but always popped back.

I don't fancy an ECV. Sounds rather brutal.

Any advice/tips/experiences?

Thanks smile

Chickenandpenguin Sat 16-May-15 20:44:17

My dc2 was breech until 37 weeks ish - I found out he'd turned when I went for a scan and to book a c section date. They can turn really really late and if you've had 2 successful v births then hopefully your babies know what they're doing! I looked into ecv and couldn't find anything that would've encouraged me to have it.

mrsmugoo Sat 16-May-15 20:47:27

I regret having an ECV (it failed)

My ELCS was lovely.

butterfly86 Sat 16-May-15 20:48:43

Dd was breech from 26 weeks and never turned, I declined an ecv I just couldn't risk it, I was booked in for a section but ended up going in to labour at 37+5 so had an emergency section which was fine. Most babies do turn and I think as it's your 3rd dc you have a good chance. good luck!

boatrace30 Sun 17-May-15 06:49:58

Hi, I'm 37 weeks, first pregnancy, baby has been breech the whole time. I DID have an ECV on Friday, it wasn't pleasant but I don't regret it - I needed to know I had tried. They monitored the baby for an hour before and after and it didn't seem to upset it in the least (in fact it was calmer afterwards!)
If it is your third and it has already moved a bit there is probably a better chance of success for you.
Lots of people swear by the spinning babies website and also moxibustion. I am not overly sold on either but may be worth a try if you want to avoid an ECV.
I'm now booked for a c-section at 39+2 as didn't fancy a breech vbac.

CuppaSarah Sun 17-May-15 06:53:09

Dd was breech for a while, sometime between 37 weeks and 38+something when I had a scan to decide if an ecv was possible, she was suddenly head down. I think I know when she turned, but I thought she turned the whole way. Who knows?

AnythingNotEverything Sun 17-May-15 07:50:26

Yeah ... Moxibustion looks like nonsense to me. Don't know if I missed something but burning stuff by your toes?! Pardon me for being a bit cynical.

I hope he/she will turn ... The thought of a CS had never even crossed my mind so it's a lot to think I about suddenly.

Thanks ladies.

Comfortzone Sun 17-May-15 07:55:49

Yy to spinning babies exercises on you tube or google it. I've also heard walking as much as you can each day helps. Easy to say that though as by 35 weeks all I wanted to do was sit on sofa & stuff my face

Ticktockwedontstop Sun 17-May-15 08:06:48

My second was breach & seemed to favour lying sideways, I was admitted to hospital from 35 weeks. I had an ECV at 37 weeks & whilst it wasn't the most pleasant sensation in the world it wasn't that bad. I felt my baby moved everytime I lay down so slept propped up with pillows to try stopping her moving again. Anyway, I was induced after the ECV and had a really straightforward labour.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 17-May-15 10:11:35

Why were you admitted Tick? Not just because of the breech position surely?

SaltySeaBird Sun 17-May-15 10:17:38

DD was breech until 36 weeks (due to complications I was having weekly visits with the consultant and fortnightly scans, she was breech at 36+2 but turned before 37+2). I was induced at 38 weeks and she was over 9lbs so not a little baby either.

MayfairMummy Sun 17-May-15 11:14:22

Anything, they admit ladies with transverse lie in case the waters break as there is no head (or bum) to slow the flood of waters, and very high likelihood that if waters break, will have prolapsed cord and no time to do anything if that happens out of hospital. Lowish likelihood of waters breaking though (usually 10% of all labours start with waters breaking, but apparently less likely with transverse lie as nothing pressing on the waters at the cervix to break them).

Breech feedback from when i asked something similar, recently, here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childbirth/2357070-Experiences-please-home-birth-with-breech-potential-ECV-or-did-your-breech-baby-turn-late

I'm currently 41 weeks (still waiting!); baby is staying down (though don't know if breech or cephalic), and have an ecv booked for tomorrow, though when that was booked, baby was unstable lie (swinging between all positions), and it was mainly to get a transverse lie to move to head down, followed by an immediate breaking of waters to encourage her out. She's not transverse now; not sure if they'll do an ecv at 41 weeks (might be too late)... but i can certainly say that in all my research, a LOT of people who had breech babies had them turn before their C/S date, or final labour. At 35 weeks, i think you still have a lot of time...

good luck!

Ticktockwedontstop Sun 17-May-15 22:57:30

Anything, was admitted as the baby was an unstable lie but mainly favoured transverse and would turn several times a day. Funny thing is two years later she is still a wriggler who rarely sits still!

AnythingNotEverything Sun 17-May-15 23:18:33

Thanks for updating - I have a scan tomorrow and wasn't planning on taking my hospital bag (as yet unpacked!) so hoped they wouldn't admit me just yet smile

MayfairMummy Mon 18-May-15 09:46:58

Anything; my HB midwife offered me a check and a sweep yesterday; bub is cephalic, not breech (yay!), so all in all she's actually settled to where she should be ... it just took a while! I've now cancelled my unnecessary ECV and just waiting - hopefully any time now smile

Best of luck with your scan today!

AnythingNotEverything Mon 18-May-15 13:55:34

Excellent news Mayfair! Today's scan showed baby is head down, and I'm not having any of the awful backache I had last time he/she was in this position so I hope that means he/she is comfy.

Fingers crossed they stay put now smile

MayfairMummy Mon 18-May-15 20:15:26

Great news, Anything! Here's to having two chilled, cephalic home births wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now