Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron infusion

(4 Posts)
Penguinandminipenguin Mon 11-May-15 18:19:00

I'm due to have an iron infusion tomorrow and I'm starting to feel nervous, so wondered if someone who's experienced it can tell me what happens exactly?

I'm needle phobic, so I'm terrified about the cannula as I've never had one before. I have numbing cream to use first, so where do I put this? Does the cannula go in the same place as blood tests or in my hand or something?
Thanks in advance for any responses!

hiccoughybump Mon 11-May-15 18:30:45

The cannula will go the place that the doctor or nurse feels most confident to site it quickly and painlessly first time - probably either at your elbow where you have blood tests taken or on the back of your hand. The needle is only in for a second or two and after that it's a thin, flexible plastic tube tha shouldn't bother you

Penguinandminipenguin Mon 11-May-15 21:01:45

Thank you for your reply. Will lather those areas up with cream tomorrow then smile

MissTwister Mon 11-May-15 21:07:43

I've had one, try not to worry they are fine. Just boring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now