Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lavender Oil & Pregnancy

(6 Posts)
OMGBabyNo3 Sun 10-May-15 08:13:25

Arrgghh. Thought i was fairly clued up and sensible but have just read something about the use of lavender in Pregnancy which said it should really be avoided. I have had a bath probably every day for the last 19 weeks with 3 drops of lavender oil in. I love it! Should i stop now and be grateful i haven't miscarried and been lucky or is that amount just really not a problem? Thanks for any help!

BlinkAndMiss Sun 10-May-15 08:19:12

Hmm, I thought it was safe. In fact, my midwife suggested having a lavender bath to help me relax and reduce my blood pressure. She said to mix it with milk to help it disperse. I'd check the NHS guidelines and go with them, here is a lot of inaccurate information out there and information taken out of context. I wouldn't worry but mention it to your midwife at your next appointment just incase. Try not to worry.

newtonupontheheath Sun 10-May-15 10:04:13

I thought it was safe too?

My mw suggested it in baths in late pregnancy/early labour (post sweep) but I usually burn it anyway of an evening so have just carried on doing that.

BumWad Sun 10-May-15 15:16:47

I'm pretty certain there is no concrete evidence that it does harm.

I always put a few drops in my bath.

KensingtonRose Sun 10-May-15 15:23:40

I sometimes sleep with lavender oil on a tissue near on my night stand. I did this during pregnancy and have a very happy healthy baby.

OMGBabyNo3 Sun 10-May-15 21:49:53

Thanks all. I was surprised but have read some fairly unsubstantial evidence on it today. Don't think I'll panic too much in retrospect x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now