Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

16 week sex scans - how accurate?

(10 Posts)
LorryHen Sat 09-May-15 08:23:50

How accurate have sex scans been at 16 weeks in everyone's experience?

I'm going for one today and I'm really excited about it. I'm not the kind to go out and buy all pink or blue afterwards but it would be good to trust in the sonographers verdict!

Thanks smile

Soontobemummyto5 Sat 09-May-15 08:35:00

I had one at 16 wks with this pregnancy and thought they were very thorough compared with my 20 wk nhs scan but as it's optional with the nhs and they are concentrating on checking all the important organs and making sure everything is ok it's understandable. Also I had a 20wk scan with ds2 where they said girl and found out during a late 38wk scan she was a he. Also the quality was fantastic with the private scan at 16 wks, I will try to attach my pic x

HoppityVoosh Sat 09-May-15 08:40:20

I assume with the 3D scan it's a lot more obvious than the black and white (2D?) one? Is it a 3D one you're having OP? I would think it'd be pretty close to 100% accurate with a 3D even at 16 weeks. Good luck!

It's lovely to see your 16 week scan soontobe! I'm 16 weeks so that's what my baby looks like! smile

ashtrayheart Sat 09-May-15 08:43:49

I had one with dd3, it was very clear. Enjoy grin

shitebag Sat 09-May-15 08:48:04

If its a 3D/4D scan specifically for checking the sex then I think they're pretty accurate.

If its a plain old scan then hit or miss.

babyfedleaning Sat 09-May-15 08:49:20

My 3D/4D scan at 16+1 was right. Crystal clear

applecore0317 Sat 09-May-15 09:05:59

I had a 2d scan at 17+2 which showed a girl, she did flip over to 3d for a few moments, not for the sexing part though. Will find out soon if it as right, but yes, they are very thorough in the private scans and take their time smile

LorryHen Sat 09-May-15 10:23:39

Ah thank you ladies! Can't wait now only a couple of hours to go. Glad everyone else had good experiences.

HoppityVoosh it is a combination of 2d/4d and something called hd live which I've googled and looks creepily real haha.

LorryHen Sat 09-May-15 15:00:38

Hello again ladies!

The sexing scan was amazing and I have a lovely little picture of my baby boy having a snooze with his thumb up! So cute argh! X

applecore0317 Sat 09-May-15 15:05:11

Congratulations :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now