Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I still have a home birth if Rhesus negative?

(14 Posts)
Ladypug Fri 08-May-15 21:17:46

Only just found out today I'm Rhesus Negative. Just wondered if this will rule out a home birth?

franksidebottom Fri 08-May-15 21:22:09

I'm rhesus negative, im not having a home birth for various reasons but the midwives I've seen are keen for me to consider it so I don't think it is an issue

applecore0317 Fri 08-May-15 21:24:28

Also rhesus negative and they tried to encourage me to have a home birth

sleepwhenidie Fri 08-May-15 21:26:22

Definitely not an issue.

AnnieLewis Fri 08-May-15 21:26:58

I'm rhesus neg and was allowed home births. There is no reason why you shouldn't but you will need a dose of AntiD with (i think) 72 hours of delivery of your baby is rhesus positive. Do you know what rhesus factor baby's father is?

Check with your M/W what their policy is for this as sometimes you will be expected to go in to the hospital to have the Anti D which can be a consideration considering you will have a very newborn baby, depending on distance and ease of travel arrangements to hospital.

It is vital you have the AntiD in this timeframe IF your baby is Rhesus Positive to protect you for any future pregnancies.

MrsEvadneCake Fri 08-May-15 21:28:03

I'm RN and had a homebirth. It was fantastic. I did have to go to hospital for my anti d injection but just popped up and had it done a few hours after the birth.

soundedbetterinmyhead Fri 08-May-15 21:29:37

I did (11 years ago) DS was positive so they came and gave anti d at home too. Massive needle though!

Ladypug Fri 08-May-15 21:29:43

Thanks guys, don't know DH blood type but expect we could find out from doctor. They said I would need an injection and also a blood test after birth but I hoped a midwife might be ok to administer that without hospital. I have a long way to go yet though so I will explore it at my next midwife appointment x

sleeplessbunny Fri 08-May-15 21:31:33

Shouldn't be a problem so long as you have an anti-D jab as your MW will recommend.

AnnieLewis Fri 08-May-15 21:34:31

Even if Dh is rhesus positive doesn't mean baby will definitely be as well. They will usually test babys blood result from cord blood immediately post birth and then you will know if you need the AntiD or not. You will be offered a prophylactic dose of AntiD at 28 wks anyway so lots of time to discuss. Some M/W's can do it at home for you but a lot will get you to go in to the hospital - I think its more of a storage/access issue for community midwives rather than anything.

We found the gp wouldn't do a rhesus test on DH for 'no good reason' and said if we were just doing it for that we should go to private clinic as they don't do it on NHS. Alternatively you could get him to donate his blood and they should tell him then.... smile

Ladypug Fri 08-May-15 21:44:51

Ah thanks Annie, I just figured they would have his blood "on file" somewhere from previous operations etc x

AnnieLewis Fri 08-May-15 21:46:12

Its worth asking, they may well have! Good luck with it all!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Fri 08-May-15 21:49:22

Yes - I had 2 "home from home" births (in a mw-led unit) and the 3rd at home. Noone ever mentioned me being rhesus negative as an issue.

Roseybee10 Sat 09-May-15 11:43:18

I'm rhesus neg and had a home birth. However my hubby is also rhesus neg so it's impossible for us to have a rhesus positive baby.
I declined anti d on that basis for both pregnancies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now