Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First hand versus second hand

(9 Posts)
Ladypug Wed 06-May-15 15:41:40

Very early on in pregnancy someone said to me to be careful what you buy second hand as some things you should always buy new. I never asked her what things! I'm looking at a crib and Moses basket second hand - is this ok or not?

Piffpaffpoff Wed 06-May-15 15:43:53

It's recommended that you get new mattresses I think.

Bippidee Wed 06-May-15 15:47:00

Yes, definitely buy new mattresses. Also, personally, I would buy a car seat new over second hand.

NerrSnerr Wed 06-May-15 15:48:23

Mattresses should be new. You should only get car seats from people you know just in case they've been in an accident.

Ladypug Wed 06-May-15 15:50:08

Thanks everyone x

knittingirl Wed 06-May-15 16:19:44

Agree, mattress and car seat. Otherwise, second hand is great smile

TheMidnightHour Thu 07-May-15 15:51:00

New mattress - the recommendation on this is brand new, even for a second child, as there's increase in the (tiny) risk of SIDS with an older one.

New carseat - the risk of damage isn't just from an accident. A friend just had theirs rendered unfit to use by an airline gate check in, and you can also damage them by dropping them etc. The materials can also expire, so do check.

Can you tell I'm a tightwad frugal and having my first? Pretty much everything we've bought (or borrowed) has been well loved first.

WhatAHooHa Thu 07-May-15 15:53:02

As above, but I actually prefer second hand baby clothes to new. They've been washed so many times that they're always that much softer than new clothes.

marshmallowpies Thu 07-May-15 17:09:42

Yes I bought a new mattress for a second hand cot, and I replaced the mattress in the Moses basket for baby no 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now