Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Osteopath for SPD?

(10 Posts)
PebbleFrog Tue 05-May-15 23:29:30

I've been suffering from mild pain at the front of my pelvis. Went to my 1st NCT class this eve and the course leader seemed to think it was worrying and recommended that I go to see an osteopath.
Have you tried an osteopath for SPD? What did they do? Did it help?
I'm 35 weeks btw - not sure if it's too late to do anything about it.

MavisG Tue 05-May-15 23:33:29

Yes, contact The Pelvic Partnership for a list of osteopaths & chiropractors local to you, who've been recommended by people with spd. The PP is a small charity so it's not instant. If you can get to Tunbridge Wells, see Quentin Shaw.

PebbleFrog Wed 06-May-15 00:01:05

Thanks Mavis just looked up the Pelvis Partnership and their site is really useful.
My NCT course leader recommended the British School of Osteopaths as they're local and offer subsidised charges at their clinics, so I think Ill go ahead and get in touch.
Just wondered whether anyone had any experience/it was worth it.

ToddlingAlong1 Wed 06-May-15 10:38:05

I went to see am osteopath early on as I have had SPD since 20 weeks. Unfortunately they wouldn't manipulate as pregnant and the gentle techniques they used, didn't make much difference for me. Someone suggested physio and it has been a huge relief. Have to go weekly, as if I extend time much longer I get too painful, but it is keeping pain under control. I would try osteo, but if no different wouldn't rule out going to see a physio instead.

MrsLovell Wed 06-May-15 11:05:29

I was referred to a physio at 22 weeks by my GP, which was fantastic and completely free. However there is a limited amount they could do for me after 35 weeks as the bump is blocking the bit of my pelvis they need to manipulate to ease the pain. However they will be able to recommend exercise and positions that will help to manage it. And they will continue to see you after the baby is born to make sure you recover properly, again all for free.

BeforeIChangeMyMind Wed 06-May-15 13:40:51

I've recently seen an osteopath for SPD (35 weeks also) on the advice of my midwife. My pain was in the back of my pelvis and the very gentle manipulation he did was to straighten out my tail bone. I'm still in some pain but it's eased and I'm seeing him again on Friday.

I think if you can afford it, it's worth a shot. I couldn't afford to pay to see someone regularly but this is time-limited so I've decided to go ahead with it. I've also been referred to my local NHS women's health physio but there's a 3-week wait for an appointment so not sure how much she'll be able to help me.

Hope it helps if you give it a shot flowers

MavisG Wed 06-May-15 22:40:29

Yes, British School of Osteopathy is good. Treatments are low cost/poss free if low income & students are supervised. I had effective spd treatment there before finding Quentin Shaw.

MavisG Wed 06-May-15 22:45:11

NHS physios were of very limited use to me but mine weren't very hands-on. I think with spd treatment the individual practitioner - physio, osteo or chiro - is the important thing, whether or not they are expert in pelvises. Any one of those could be great. Or useless, or actually harmful (I hope that's rare but I saw one osteo who made things worse. This was pre-diagnosis, but still unacceptable.)

Quietattheback Wed 06-May-15 22:51:04

Not during pregnancy but after delivery my pelvic bone was misaligned and I was in considerable pain, the osteopath sorted in two sessions.

Quietattheback Wed 06-May-15 22:52:57

Posted too soon. Meant to add, try Groupon, I recently bought a consultation and three treatments with a chiropractor for £34, they had loads of deals for osteopaths too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now