Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sick of being told how skinny i am :/

(9 Posts)
Fatty12 Mon 04-May-15 21:29:27

Okay, I'v always had a tall thin figure and also a fast metabolism which doesnt help weight - 7/7.5 stones .. height - 5ft 6/7.

Peple always made remarks like how on earth is a baby going to fit in you etc - heartless i know lol but not one to take anything to heart.
I'm currently 17+5 and since being pregnant I'v put on about 6 pounds in weight which for me is a massive achievement. Until, today I had a comment 'are you sure you're pregnant, there's nothing in there.' hmmangryblush

I felt so embarrased like there must be something wrong that I'm doing.. my bump has come out but still on small side.. this will be my first child, so when will it properly start showing?? I do feel hungry all the time, and I make sure I eat the right foods.

ApplesTheHare Mon 04-May-15 21:37:22

I know it's hard but unfortunately people will say stupid/insensitive things to you throughout pregnancy. Just smile and nod smile As long as your midwife/GP/consultant is happy with how the pregnancy is progressing, try not to worry. I'm a shorty but also thin and had a small bump so even on the day I went into labour a guy I met didn't realise I was pregnant. Some people just look more bumpy than others!

Smartiepants79 Mon 04-May-15 21:37:49

99% of people mean that as a complement.
It's just something people say. Small talk. Conversation.
They don't mean that they think there is anything wrong with you or what you are doing.
I doubt most people think beyond it to start considering why you might be so slim. They're just thinking "lucky you".
Try not to take it personally. You know you are doing the right things so don't worry. 17weeks is still very early and some people just have small bumps especially first time mums.
Enjoy your bump and your pregnancy. Laugh, smile and say " yes, aren't I lucky"

ApplesTheHare Mon 04-May-15 21:38:13

Ooops sent too soon, also good luck with the rest of your pregnancy thanks

Purpleboa Mon 04-May-15 21:39:06

People are just incredible aren't they?? Before I got preg, I had no idea how tactless many people are. I've had the ' but your bump is so neat, are you really that far along?' throughout my pregnancy (34 weeks now!) Got to the point where I was googling bump pics just to put my mind at rest! I'm fairly tall so maybe that's why. But midwife has assured me baby is measuring fine for her due date, so am only trusting what she says. Bumps come in ALL shapes and sizes - my colleague is 24 weeks and only barely showing. Just calmly ignore anyone making a weight comment unless they're your midwife, size in this case really isn't everything!

ThatsNotEvenAWord Mon 04-May-15 21:49:13

I would be told within the same day that my bump was massive and was I expecting twins, then tiny and I was hardly showing. I always used to trot out the line about it measuring perfectly according to the midwife as well. People are so odd, they forget there's still a person attached to the bump! flowers

Lop12345 Mon 04-May-15 22:13:18

I am about 5ft 6/7 and pre pregnancy was a size 6, I didn't start showing until about 24 weeks, now nearly 36 weeks & people keep saying how small & neat my bump is. Don't take it to heart, I think I'd be upset if people were Sauk h that my bump was huge!

Trinpy Mon 04-May-15 22:49:55

Just to add to pp's stories - my bump measured above the 91st centile when I was pregnant and I still got told on a weekly basis by various people that I didn't look pregnant/my bump was very small for how many weeks I was.

Basically, most people don't have a clue and will say any old rubbish. Best to ignore them smile.

Roseybee10 Tue 05-May-15 04:10:24

People say so much crap when you're pregnant.

When I was pregnant t with dd1 I gained a lot of weight and showed very early and had so many comments about being huge and not eating for two etc.

With dd2 I didn't show properly until about 25/26 weeks and didn't really put weight on anywhere else. Oh course then I got comments about not eating properly, not 'looking after myself and baby', looking tiny etc. (I was eating loads, just making better choices this time)

You just become common property when you're pregnant and people think it's fine to comment on your size. It's majorly irritating and upsetting at times. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now