Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Boring question, but put my mind at ease!

(26 Posts)
MrsGentlyBenevolent Mon 04-May-15 20:32:46

I'm 18 weeks pregant, first time I've come this far (previously mmc at around 10 weeks). After a few symptoms early on, and a good 12 week scan, I now feel very un-pregnant again. I haven't felt anything that could be described as movement, no pops, flutters or kicks. No general pregnant feeling, no needing to wee every five mins. If it wasn't for weight gain, and feeling my uterus coming up to about my belly button, I would absolutely not think I was pregnant at all. Is this normal? I have another two weeks until my next scan, something is telling me that it's gone wrong again, I'm being really silly right? I wish the constipation and nausea was back!

CarrotPuff Mon 04-May-15 20:38:35

It's normal for symptoms to disappear in second trimester. If you are getting bigger, I wouldn't worry. It's quite early to feel anything yet if it's your first.

Enjoy your pregnancy and congrats!

seastargirl Mon 04-May-15 20:39:13

I think it's quite normal for symptoms to lessen in the second trimester, have you ever felt movement or have you previously felt movement and now it's stopped. Either way, I would say ring triage or your midwife and get yourself checked, better than worrying for 2 weeks and if you explain your medical history they'll understand.

applecore0317 Mon 04-May-15 20:43:55

The need to wee eases right off once your uterus has come up and out of your pelvis, because for a little while it's not pressing on your bladder. It's also normal to feel, well, normal again

DramaAlpaca Mon 04-May-15 20:44:11

It's not unusual to not feel movement until after 18 weeks, and perfectly normal for nausea to disappear and the needing to wee all the time feeling to go away as well.

You had a good 12 week scan and you are gaining weight, so chances are everything is fine.

It's not surprising you are feeling nervous given your history. Maybe give your midwife a call for reassurance if it'll put your mind at rest before your next scan, but it all sounds very normal from what you say.

Congrats on your pregnancy, btw flowers

MrsGentlyBenevolent Mon 04-May-15 20:46:05

A couple of weeks ago, the small 'bump' (more like a little lump!) seem to move from my right side to my left. I couldn't feel it move, but it was certainly harder on different sides during the day. Last week or so, I've only felt it on my right side, if at all. I've certainly over-googled, a friend of mine is pregnant with her first and has been updating me for weeks on every movement and growth. I know everyone is different, but I thought I should have felt something by now. Is it really worth ringing the mw about? I got the feeling maternity only want to deal with you if you're bleeding, in labour or had the baby....

batfish Mon 04-May-15 20:46:09

Try not to worry mrs - I'm sure that if you are getting fatter and had a good 12 week scan and have no signs to tell you otherwise then all is fine. I am also 18 weeks and have absolutely no symptoms - have never had any. The only time I need to pee more is first thing in the morning which I didn't used to have to but during the day I don't pee any more than usual. Hopefully in a couple of weeks you will start feeling some movement to put your mind at ease. I worried massively up to having a scan at 9 weeks but am finally starting to believe it's going to be ok!

MrsGentlyBenevolent Mon 04-May-15 20:48:05

Oh and thanks for the replies everyone, I feel as bad asking here, not like anyone can tell me for sure. I just have no real idea of what's 'normal'.

batfish Mon 04-May-15 20:48:26

Definitely call your midwife if you have any concerns as it is horrible worrying but don't worry about lack of movement - I saw my doc on Saturday and he said around 20 weeks would usually be when you start to feel anything. And I know it's impossible but try not to compare yourself to your friend - all pregnancies are different and some people feel things earlier than others but it doesn't mean anything is wrong, hope you get some reassurance soon!

Marshy Mon 04-May-15 20:53:44

My darling, if you are concerned call your midwife and get some reassurance. Chances are everything is fine. She really won't mind you seeking some answers. Big hug for you xx

crispiecrunchie Mon 04-May-15 20:54:06

I didn't feel movement innumerable first pregnancy till 21 weeks and was nervous bout 20 week scan despite getting bigger. All was fine. Very normal bit to feel movement till later first time round!

gingerbreadmam Mon 04-May-15 20:54:42

mrs im 15 / 16 wks with my pfb after going through an mmc late last year and completely sympathise.

i dont feel pregnant at all most of the time. or so i think. then i will stand up too quick and feel a massive pull down there or knock a nipple. get a little lightheaded from time to time too. sporting a definite bump which i can see growing but cant feel any movement.

i think its completely normal. i think we get so used to people saying how poorly they feel in pregnancy that we assume thats the norm and panic lile crazy if we dont feel like that. im sure everythings fine.

when i get doubts i grab a nipple for a bit of reassurance or get my veiny boobs out for a viewing grin

so sorry for your previous loss and congrats on this pregnancy!thanks

Mopmay Mon 04-May-15 20:57:06

Totally normal. I didn't show until 20 wks and no kicks til 21 both times

rhnireland Mon 04-May-15 20:58:29

I'm 22 weeks pregnant now and my baby is kicking up a storm but up until a fortnight ago I hadn't felt anything or wasn't sure if I was just imagining things!

I found it quite a scary time between 12 weeks and 20 in theory the baby should be fine and I was growing in all the right places but still worried. Yet this morning I was woken at 5 am by my baby jumping on my bladder (at least that's what it felt like)

All of this is just to say in a couple of weeks you'll more than likely feel vastly reassured. But one thing that worked for a friend of mine was that when she wasn't sure if she was feeling the baby move or not she had a big glass of ice cold Lucozade the sugar and coldness had the baby bouncing around!

roughtyping Mon 04-May-15 20:59:02

So sorry you're feeling like this, flowers

I didn't feel movement or show til about 22 weeks with my first, even though I was very slim. When do you next see midwife? Your 20 week scan?

MrsGentlyBenevolent Mon 04-May-15 21:02:15

Thanks everyone, and congrats to those also expecting! I will put it down to a moment of paranoia, however, if I do get super anxious before my next scan, I promise to ring the midwife. I'm on a new nn, but posted in pregnancy before, it's my go to place as Dr Google is scary! Cheers guys, I'll try and remember to update when the scan cones around (feels like 2 years away....)

QueefOfTheDamned Mon 04-May-15 21:02:53

I felt exactly the same at this stage if pregnancy. No symptoms at all and couldn't feel any movements either. We were on our last baby-free holiday and it was heavenly except for not being able to drink the cocktails to be feeling good and able to enjoy it before the tiredness and, in my case, SPD kicked in in the third trimester.

QueefOfTheDamned Mon 04-May-15 21:03:42

Incidentally, it was 22/23 weeks before I could feel proper movement.

Marshy Mon 04-May-15 21:04:23

Sorry if that sounded patronising op. It's a while since I has my babies I'm very old but I don't think the advice has changed re mums who are feeling worried. Get checked out. You will be fine xx

MissTwister Mon 04-May-15 21:06:46

I felt the same - its an awkward few weeks between feeling better and movement starting. Odds are incredibly high that everything is totally fine - relax this is perfectly normal!

MrsGentlyBenevolent Mon 04-May-15 21:07:10

Rough, I last saw the mw two weeks ago. She didn't listen fir the heartbeat, but I wasn't really expecting her to anyway. I have been very patient, avoided getting a doppler, think I was overdue a big freak out to be honest. Partner has already bore the brunt of it - git went out to play games with his mates for 5 hours, my brain went into overdrive, typical! So came to unload here, whilst he sulks in front of the football.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 04-May-15 21:07:40

It sounds normal to me but always best to check if you're worried. I never felt movement until around 20 weeks and if your placenta is anterior it can hide the movements even longer

FlossyCat Mon 04-May-15 21:11:53

After the 12 week scan I think there's only about a 1% chance of miscarriage, you're gaining weight and can feel your uterus so that sounds positive. I had a mmc (which was very traumatising) and found it so hard not to worry when I was pregnant again, at the 20 week scan with my DS I was amazed how much he was moving but I couldn't feel it. I've never had much in the way of pregnancy symptoms with my DS or this pregnancy (now 26 weeks) and until recently could easily forget I was pregnant. It's so hard waiting for the scan, perhaps you could speak to your midwife or if you can afford it and are really worried book a private scan? It does sound normal, hope to hear how things go when you have your scan x

carbolicsoaprocked Mon 04-May-15 21:34:24

I felt tiny pops now and again at 18 weeks (didn't even know if it was first movements or not), but many people don't feel movements until weeks later, as baby is still tiny. All my other symptoms had gone, and like you I didn't 'feel pregnant' at all - I believe this is completely normal. I'm now 35 weeks and most definately feel pregnant! Didn't really need to go to the toilet all the time until about 33/34 weeks. Everyone is different, so try not to compare your symptoms to other peoples'. Wishing you the best of luck.

lauraa4 Mon 04-May-15 21:42:28

Your situation was exactly the same as mine. I also had a mmc last year at around 10 weeks. I'm now pregnant again, 19+5 to be exact smile I too was terrified of it happening again and cry at every appointment and scan! Even after a fine 12 week scan and hearing heartbeat at 16 week midwife appointment I was still paranoid! So last week I paid for a private scan and was told i have a perfectly healthy baby boy in there. I'm now looking forward to my next scan on the 12th. It's so difficult to stay positive but don't treat this pregnancy like the last, I feel silly for thinking the worst the past few weeks! If your that worried get a private one, it was worth the money for me to see my little baby again. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now