Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hayfever

(14 Posts)
Panickypants Sun 03-May-15 19:08:27

Anyone recommend anything I can take to help? I usually have prescription antihistamine but apparently it's a no no sad
Thanks!

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Sun 03-May-15 19:22:44

Antihistamines are not a no no! I had a totally miserable three weeks thinking that they were! Then I went and spoke to my GP. Put me on Piriton - totally sorted the hay fever but made me so sleepy - now on Loratadine and much better! GP also mentioned that there were some other types that we could try if the Loratadine didn't work.

mousmous Sun 03-May-15 19:26:02

there are some things you can take, but the chemist might not sell them to you if you have a visible bump.
loratadine and cetirizine are fine as are low dose nasal steroids.
if in doubt ask gp.

aletea Sun 03-May-15 19:27:32

Start with nasal spray and eye drops. If they're no good antihistamines are fine.

Panickypants Sun 03-May-15 20:14:29

Thanks ladies. It was doc that said no cetrizine! I'm not happy so need to do something!

ejclementine Sun 03-May-15 20:47:39

We have bought an air purifier - it's a god send! Ours also gets rid of smells, which is great when you're cooking.

dementedpixie Sun 03-May-15 20:52:49

www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/935.aspx?categoryid=54 nhs says loratidine and cetirizine are both ok in pregnancy

QueefOfTheDamned Sun 03-May-15 20:58:00

My Dr wouldn't give me antihistamines when is was pregnant either. And I usually take cetrizine.

However, I found being pregnant did funny things to my immune system. I haven't suffered with hayfever since and my many other allergies are not nearly as bad as they used to be.

MrsHulk Sun 03-May-15 21:00:49

This really worked for me - it beams lights at the tissues in your nose that are sensitive, and somehow that makes the pollen not bother you - www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-allergy-reliever-15677

You will look ridiculous but will sneeze much less smile

fortywinx Sun 03-May-15 22:38:18

My GP told me that my prescription Loratadine and nasal spray were fine to continue taking during pregnancy with my rhinitis. I'd be truly suffering if I couldn't take them!

misssmilla1 Mon 04-May-15 00:25:44

My Dr has told me loratidine is fine and to avoid antihistamines with any decongestants in them. I finally gave in and started taking them yesterday and I feel so much better1

brokencrayons Mon 04-May-15 07:10:14

I heard the old style drowsy stuff is safe.

brimfullofasha Mon 04-May-15 11:03:49

I took Piriton during pregnancy. Wouldn't have coped without it. I was told not to take it in the final few weeks though as it can make the baby drowsy.

Andcake Mon 04-May-15 11:09:22

Try local honey - I worried about what I could take but madly my immune system was so surprised that it's the only summer since I was 3 that I didn't have hay fever grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now