Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Mice! Help

(16 Posts)
Mummytono2 Fri 01-May-15 23:01:29

Hi all

I've had a very anxious pregnancy after a late loss last year.

I've recently caught a mouse in my house and wrongly googled and found out about something called lcmv.

My doc and midwife have never heard of it but I'm worried sick.

Has anyone else had mice? Xx

MissTwister Fri 01-May-15 23:29:00

Yes! A couple of months ago. Did the exact same googling and panicked. Then calmed down, called a pest man who got rid of them. All fine. They're really very common

SisterMoonshine Fri 01-May-15 23:32:26

We have a mouse problem at home. Have had 2 pregnancies and all fine.
We have a cat now. There are issues with cats too, if you google.

Mummytono2 Sat 02-May-15 07:53:54

Thank you both! I felt like I was the only one going through this just now. Bloody mice have scared the hell out of me!! Did either of you worry about the lcmv thing or go to the docs etc? Pest man seems confident we only had one due to number of droppings and the fact we've caught nothing since xx

rhnireland Sat 02-May-15 08:00:22

I'd imagine that most pregnant women are exposed to mouse droppings at some point - at work/home etc. Please don't worry. You've dealt with it really quickly and I'm sure everything will be fine.

MissTwister Sat 02-May-15 09:52:17

No didn't go to docs or anything. Like you pest man said it looked like a one off as no other droppings. I hadn't eaten any and to be honest had forgotten about it until your post!

MissTwister Sat 02-May-15 09:53:06

I'd imagine LCMV is pretty damn rare too!

Mummytono2 Sat 02-May-15 09:54:49

U sound much more rational than me!! Weird thing is, there's been no signs whatsoever in our kitchen!! I found it randomly in a storage cupboard I'm hardly ever in,'one that has no food etc. and there were only 5 droppings, very, very odd! I do suffer from general anxiety disorder so I know my over reaction is partly due to this.
From my googling it seems this problem is pretty common although not sure how many pregnant women experience it during their pregnancy!

I have 4 weeks to go hurry up baby!!!! Xx

Skiptonlass Sat 02-May-15 10:10:29

I used to work with lab mice, so been exposed to pretty much everything they carry...I've never been ill from them and I've lived in old mousey buildings . Lcmv is quite hard to catch.
Don't worry - it's very likely it was just a lone scout having a look around. Most buildings have one or two in cavities or the garden, so they are very common. Just make sure you've given all the surfaces a really good scrub and remove any sources of easy food ( they love toaster crumb trays) keep an eye out for droppings and if you do see more get pest control in. You can also buy little ultrasonic repellents that plug into sockets, they won't evict a full blown invasion but they will deter stragglers. Bottom line? You should be absolutely fine. smile

MissTwister Sat 02-May-15 13:55:08

Oh yes we have a mouse repellent thing too now as mentioned above

BTW I am not at all rational and freaked out at time - you'll forget about it though. Just like when I freaked out about our lead paint, or the bug in my salad, or the neighbours varnish fumes.....

Skiptonlass Sat 02-May-15 14:03:57

If you did catch lmcv (which isn't easy to catch) you'd have a fever and feel crap. Reassure yourself - there's a reason your mw and GP haven't heard of it - it's super rare!

Also I think it's more dangerous early on. By 34 weeks, you're highly unlikely to have issues.

Knock this one off your worry list. ;)

Miss twister - does your sonic mouse repellent work? I did used to have a cat (who was a vicious bastard when he was young and would kill everything that moved.) unfortunately, age and urban living softened him somewhat, and I suspect he made a truce with the mice.... I once caught him idly looking at one about a foot away from him, told him to off it and I swear he shrugged

MissTwister Sat 02-May-15 22:46:13

Well I thought it did then we had a mouse! However I think it works somewhat as the pest man said there was no nest just the lone one. You're meant to change the frequency regularly - and also get one that vibrates through wires.

sianihedgehog Sun 03-May-15 07:52:02

When I worked in a pet shop we tested an ultrasonic mouse deterrent near the mouse tank and three mice dropped stone dead in terror. They do work at least a bit! HOW EVER, every other animal in the shop also freaked out, plus all the younger staff immediately clapped hands over their ears in pain.

They are fine for empty buildings, or rooms you don't use, but I wouldn't use them around other pets or children. The sound is HORRIBLE.

Mummytono2 Sun 03-May-15 09:01:26

I actually do use these repellers since we had a mouse last year as well and I'm wondering whether it was them that kept the mouse contained to a small cupboard or just one mouse.

We've had no mice in the traps now for 2 weeks and pest man been back out and said the poison bait hasn't been touched so do u think we can consider ourselves mouse free??

I'm paranoid about everything despite having deep cleaned my whole downstairs (even from plugs and sockets to light switches!!). I've never had mice in all my 33 years and now have had a mouse twice in a year. Bastards!! X

MissTwister Sun 03-May-15 12:53:35

The ones that are only sound don't travel through barriers so wouldn't be effective inside a cupboard. BUT most of them these days have the most effect by sending a vibration/noise along the wiring in the house and this way they cover a much wider space.

Most of them are also guaranteed to be of a frequency not to bug household pets/children.

And yes I think you are mouse free!

Mummytono2 Sun 03-May-15 13:46:54

The repeller was right outside the cupboard so maybe it ventured out and was scared off! Who knows. I just want to feel settled in my house again sad grr bloody things!!! Thanks for your support though, you've settled me down. Now if this little one would just come And I can hopefully see she is ok!! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now