Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hair dying during Pregnancy ?

(14 Posts)
Bluepetra Fri 01-May-15 14:03:15

ive read various things on this and not sure what the general consensus is. Is it ok to dye your hair during the second trimester ? I've just bought a dye that lasts up to 28 washes no ammonia, will it be ok for baby ? ( not actually for baby, but you know what I mean)
Anyone else dyed theirs?

applecore0317 Fri 01-May-15 14:05:35

Most people dye their hair. There is nothing wrong with doing it, you just need to bare in mind that hair can change in pregnancy so it is advisable to do a patch test first.

I personally haven't bothered dying mine, because my hair is temperamental at the best of times, let alone now smile

PazRaz1975 Fri 01-May-15 14:17:26

I died my hair throughout both pregnancies - it's absolutely fine.

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/949.aspx?CategoryID=54#close

dinodiva Fri 01-May-15 14:26:43

Yep, I couldn't wait to get to the end of the first trimester and dye mine! I got mine done in a salon though and they did a patch test too, so do one of those if you're concerned.

MissTwister Fri 01-May-15 14:30:01

I did a patch test for first time ever and my skin got really itchy so I didn't use it. Now my hair is two tone!!

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Fri 01-May-15 15:19:31

Each of my GP, midwife and hairdresser said it was fine - so I did!

Gemb84x2 Fri 01-May-15 17:10:45

my sis in law is my hairdresser and did my roots yesterday and also dyed her own hair in pregnancy so I believe it's fine x

Littlelady33 Fri 01-May-15 19:05:57

Blue it's fine, the hair is dead and dye doesn't pass to the blood stream. Biggest risk is that colour won't be quite as You'd expect due to hormones. My colourist was shocked at how brown my blonde hair had gone just two months after highlights, apparently quite common.

Bluepetra Sat 02-May-15 00:17:49

Thanks, I'll probably just stare at the box for a couple of days then decide to put it on. smile

CumbrianExile Sat 02-May-15 00:33:34

Ha. I read this as hair drying!

NeophyteStarfish Sat 02-May-15 13:08:53

So did I CumbrianExile - I was really intrigued! smile

LadyCatherineDeTurd Sat 02-May-15 13:39:54

I couldn't have stood the smell.

sianihedgehog Sat 02-May-15 23:22:45

Totally fine, but do a patch test. Your immune system changes during pregnancy and you can suddenly be very allergic to things you weren't allergic to before. I've just had a HIDEOUS reaction to a self tan lotion that I've used for years. :/

user1476359634 Tue 01-Nov-16 19:37:39

I've heard that it is suggested to avoid dyeing hair in the first trimester of the gestation period. And it is better to use organic and natural dyes. Follow the link: motherhow.com/can-you-dye-your-hair-during-pregnancy/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now