Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

GTT test results

(4 Posts)
SpoonBender Fri 01-May-15 10:09:24

Hi, I had the glucose test yesterday and the hospital have rang this morning to say it's come back high and I need to go for a scan today. The midwife didn't say much else just that she would see me later. I'm now panicking about what's going to happen. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

longestlurkerever Fri 01-May-15 10:18:42

spoon pop over to the gestational diabetes support thread on this board. It's a bit of a shock as you're suddenly classed as high risk and have to follow quite a strict diet but you get used to it, and there are upsides like extra scans and not putting on pregnancy weight.

As for next steps you'll be called in and given a blood glucose monitoring kit and a list of foods to avoid. They'll get you to monitor your blood sugar and see you every fortnight. If everything is OK with your numbers and growth scans that's it - otherwise they will try metformin tablets and, failing that, insulin, to keep your sugars under control.

Don't panic - now they've spotted it they can keep you and baby safe.

SpoonBender Sat 02-May-15 21:01:21

Thanks for the advice. How do I find the support thread? I'm still trying to get my head around it all.

longestlurkerever Sat 02-May-15 23:16:29

It's in the pregnancy section - click on the word pregnancy at the top of this thread and scroll through or Google mumsnet gestational diabetes support. Hope you find it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now