Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nausea - will it get worse?!

(8 Posts)
chopsface Fri 01-May-15 08:08:50

Hi ladies. Nausea has just kicked in for me this week at 6 weeks pregnant. I was sick on Monday but I think it was because I let myself get too empty. I've been controlling it by eating little and often and if this is as bad as it gets I think I can cope until it hopefully goes in trimester 2. What I'm worried about is, will it get worse?! Will I suddenly suffer from HG in week 8?! Will I have my head down the pan from week 7 and week 6 is just a mild lead into a puke fest?! What are your experiences?

katiegg Fri 01-May-15 08:15:19

My nausea kicked in around about week 6, then it cleared for around a week or so and came back and stayed until around week 10 or 11. It was horrible, and I know I got off very lightly in comparison to other people. I ate almost constantly to try to keep it at bay, I also found that a gentle swim helped. It also seemed to be worse when I got tired.

Congrats on your pregnancy and fingers crossed the nausea doesn't linger too long for you smile

Psipsina Fri 01-May-15 08:15:23

It's different for everyone but if it does get worse it's usually gradual, not sudden. It tends to get a bit harder towards the 11-12 week mark and then it begins to get a little bit easier, I had it pretty badly and was in bed a lot on meds but at about week 14-15 I stopped taking them so often, and could do other things without constantly feeling like I was going to throw up.

I don't remember it getting much worse after about week 6-7, I do recall week 5 was when the strange smell started like everything smelled funny. I started feeling sick in week 6 and that was that really. Try and avoid barfing if you can, I somehow managed not to, no idea how, but I'm the sort of person who doesn't - I believe if you start that sort of vicious cycle it can be pretty hard to stop.

Keeping hydrated is the absolute key imo. Don't worry too much about food - but do drink, and drink anything you can face, it doesn't have to be water and often something with a little sugar stays down better.

Best of luck xx

HolgerDanske Fri 01-May-15 08:17:23

I was horribly sick from about week six to about five months along. Could hardly eat anything without being sick.

The day it eased was one of the happiest days of my life.

60sname Fri 01-May-15 08:18:26

Some do, some don't - you might be lucky. I never got worse than two weeks of nausea from weeks 7-9.

Allstoppedup Fri 01-May-15 08:20:11

It really is impossible to say, I had HG from 5 weeks to 15/16 weeks with my first (it hit it's peak at about 8 weeks and I was in hospital)

With my second sickness didn't start until about 6 weeks developed to HG at 7/8 but this time I went to the Drs straight away and started on antiemetics so it never got as bad as last time. I'm 18 weeks now and feel much, much better (have done from about 15 weeks)

A good rule of thumb is speak to your Dr is you have 24 hour nausea or if you are sick more than 3 times 3 days in a row- my midwife said both of those are indictations of it heading out of 'morning sickness' into HG territory.

That said, my sister in law had some nausea from 6 weeks to 10 weeks, was sick twice in that time and then felt totally fine so don't want to scare you!

Early pregnancy is absolutely horrible, especially when you feel rotten but it sounds like you are being sensible and able to keep things down which is most important! If you get to the point where you can't keep down even water, get yourself to the Dr asap.

Hope you feel better soon and congratulations on your pregnancy.

YouMakeMyHeartSmile Fri 01-May-15 08:30:26

It really depends. Mine started at about 6 weeks, got worse about 9 weeks, stayed bad until about 18 weeks then lingered but was slightly better until about 24 weeks. Now 30 weeks and it has pretty much gone, unless I get too hungry.
Last pregnancy I just had 'standard' nausea from about 6-13 weeks, then nothing. All pregnancies are so different.

Skiptonlass Fri 01-May-15 09:46:02

As everyone above has said, it's really individual. I had horrendous sickness from 3.5 to about 9 (10x plus a day, unable to keep anything down, ended up at the hospital) from about 9-10 it got much better, then it's crept back a bit. I'm now 16 weeks and still nauseous and vomiting once or twice a day but I can generally handle it. I know family me,bears have all puked up to six mo the so I'm resigned to that!

Three pieces of advice.
1. Get thee over to one of the sickness support threads - they really helped me
2. Try as hard as you can not to get dehydrated or too hungry. My mw suggested a glass of flat coke and some yoghurt and just one teaspoon every five minutes - it did help me to keep something down, even if I still felt like shit. Rest as much as you can too.
3. If it gets really bad, seek help. There's a level past which no amount of nibbling, ginger, etc is going to help you and you need drugs and a drip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now